Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Zimbabwe,Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Took the Ruger Guide Gun to the range today in preparation for my return trip to Africa in July.
When I got home last year I noticed a small problem with the stock that needed to be addressed. So I took the scope off and made the trip down to Tulsa for the work to be done! A week later I brought it home and put it in the safe. I haven't moved it since last September.
Now I had this rifle dialed in for the elephant hunt last year and I was a little concerned that sighting it back in would take a little while today. I put the Lupeold VX-6 scope that was still in the Ruger rings back on the rifle and headed out to Parma Woods firing range. The ruger has a base that the rings will only go in a specific way!
Folks , much to my surprise no adjustment needed.
image.jpg

The above was the first shot at 50 yards, but for some reason with the light I could not see that I was on the bullseye ring. I thought I was not even on the paper so I took a shot at the upper left hand corner of the target sheet which I could easily see. I walked out to change targets when I saw that the first shot was in fact right where I aimed. I took a few shots with my Model #1 in 300 win mag at the other side of this target. Also cut the bullseye on the other side. Moved out to 100 yards with the results below plus a bullseye on another target that I was firing my 300 win mag at.
image.jpg

I was firing Hornady DGS rounds with a light cross wind.
In short I didn't adjust the scope at all and I'm ready to go after Spots. However, I will return to the range and practice a couple more times before the hunt.

Charlie, that's dam fine shooting for 416, 100 yards.

It put some time in yesterday also at the range, forgot to take a pic, but the Kimber is getting fine tuned for mr. buffalo!

Looks like you are ready to me, good shooting. Forrest

Charlie, that's dam fine shooting for 416, 100 yards.

No wonder you only needed one shot for your elephant!

Thanks guys. This 416 Guide Gun with the Lupeold VX-6 is deadly. I sent an email to Pieter and billc with target photos attached.....Bill thinks the rifle will do. Haven't heard back from Pieter yet I guess he is out hunting.
A couple more trips to the range and spots better be careful.

You decide on bullet for leopard charlie?

You're obviously not using the solid.

You decide on bullet for leopard charlie?

You're obviously not using the solid.

Hornady DGX will do the trick! I've taken a lioness and a Cape buffalo with the DGX and I have two boxes from the same batch used on them! I haven't had any problems with them.

Looks like you are ready to me, good shooting. Forrest
Thanks Forrest I hope so. Still I'm committed to practice so I will hit the range a couple more times.

By the way Pieter says those targets say "dead cat"

It looks like you are ready for just about anything. Are you planning on using the big gun for "spots" or the 300 Win. Mag?

Big gun on the cat 300 win mag on bait!

Good shooting, Charlie.

Thanks custom! I'm really looking forward to this hunt. Shooting in an accurate manner is critical.

I'll also look forward to your report when you return. My leopard hunt is a year out, which is lot's of time to ponder choice of rifle. I had thought I would use my 375, but my PH recommended my 300 wm. Of course, by then (with any luck) I'll have my 404 J, which I plan to bring for buffalo.

Pete 375 or better is normally required on dangerous game. But the 300 win mag will be with me if the PH decides it more appropriate.

I'll also look forward to your report when you return. My leopard hunt is a year out, which is lot's of time to ponder choice of rifle. I had thought I would use my 375, but my PH recommended my 300 wm. Of course, by then (with any luck) I'll have my 404 J, which I plan to bring for buffalo.

Custom you may have said in another post but where are you hunting for Leopard and who is the outfitter!

Pete 375 or better is normally required on dangerous game. But the 300 win mag will be with me if the PH decides it more appropriate.
got it, just curious, i asked because of this comment

and thought your ph recommended the 416 instead.

either way by the look of those targets, its going to be a good day for you and a bad day for a kitty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!