Grizzly bear fatally mauls hunter in Alaska state park

Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
A hunter was attacked and killed by a grizzly bear in an Alaska state park – a first in the nature preserve, officials announced.

The victim was in Alaska’s Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve during a 10-day moose hunting trip on Sunday when the bear attacked, the U.S. National Park Service (NPS) announced Tuesday.

The hunter, whose name, age and gender were not immediately released, was in the area of the Chisana River drainage with a friend at the time.

The NPS called it “the first known bear mauling fatality recorded in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve since the park was established in 1980.”

Officials urged hunters and park-goers to beware of bears and take necessary precautions.

Archery hunter survives bear attack at Idaho national forest
Hunters described it as grizzly bear, officials not able to confirm

This is why it always pays to be prepared.
Two hunters in Idaho recently survived an encounter with a bear, and officials have credited the duo's survival to the fact they came prepared with anti-bear equipment.

The pair (whose identities have not been released) was out archery hunting in a remote area in the Caribou-Targhee National Forest when they came into close contact with the bear, according to Idaho Department of Fish and Game. While it has not been confirmed by officials, the duo described the animal as a grizzly bear.

One of the men was reportedly knocked to the ground by the animal and sustained injuries.

Fortunately, both hunters were reportedly carrying spray at the time, and were able to deploy it, causing the bear to flee the area. Both hunters walked themselves out of the area, although the injured hunter was transported to a nearby hospital by ambulance once the duo was able to call for help.

Officials have credited the hunters’ preparedness for shortening the duration of the attack and preventing the incident from having a tragic ending. Signs have since been placed in the area to warn other hunters of bear activity.

This is the third reported grizzly bear attack in Idaho this year, Idaho Statesman reports. A hiker reportedly survived being bitten by a female bear in May near Henrys Lake, and two hunters reportedly came across a mother bear and her cubs last week near Sandpoint. Both deployed bear spray and survived the encounter.

Man I’m doing that hunt next year! Can’t be too careful. Wonder what actually happened.

I really enjoyed some of the comments below the article. Here is the best one:

" Things to do to avoid bears. Wear bright clothes with bells attached to warn bears you are coming and always carry bear pepper spray. It is a good idea to be able to identify bear droppings. Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings contain pieces of bright clothing with bells attached and smell of bear pepper spray. "

Grizzly bear droppings contain pieces of bright clothing with bells attached and smell of bear pepper spray. "
FB_IMG_1600463807987.jpg

An English schoolteacher was trampled to death by a herd of cows in a field in North Yorkshire County, England. The man, Dave Clark, who was in his 50s, was “treated by paramedics, but sadly he was pronounced dead at the scene,” according to a statement from the North Yorkshire Police Department.
Clark was a physical education instructor at the Richmond School in North Yorkshire, according to a statement released by the school.

Ouch! Can you carry a handgun in Idaho while archery hunting?

Ouch! Can you carry a handgun in Idaho while archery hunting?
I don't know about Idaho, but, obviously, lots of places you can't during archery season. However, from an effectiveness standpoint, I personally would rather have bear spray in a ready access holster than handgun.

I don't know about Idaho, but, obviously, lots of places you can't during archery season. However, from an effectiveness standpoint, I personally would rather have bear spray in a ready access holster than handgun.

And hopefully the wind is in your favor. :LOL:

Good to know (y) (y)

Their poor family must be devastated .
40CDA6AA-CED4-454E-A81F-E1B1FFDC0C3E.png

I personally always prefer my .458 Winchester Magnum and 500 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed factory loads , when hunting American Kodiak and grizzly bears . For American black bears , I always prefer a .30-06 Springfield and 220 grain Remington Core Lokt soft nosed factory loads .

In Bangladesh , I always hunt problem Asiatic sloth bears with my .458 Winchester Magnum . Before I acquired my .458 Winchester Magnum in 1977 , I killed three with my Laurona 12 bore sidelock ejector and Eley Alphamax LG shells . Sadly , this is a very marginal combination for hunting Asiatic sloth bears . One of them managed to badly wound my tracker , even after getting shot twice with LG shells .

With bear spray it is also good to give the can a shake every now and then from what I understand.

Not just carrying the equipment but being very aware at all times. After seeing up close and personal how fast and agile a bear actually is, I would have to be on edge and ready just to get a gun out of the holster in time. Bear spray, IMO, is best for the fact that not only is it a hair quicker to deploy but you don't have to be as accurate. You hold and spray.
I carry a pistol as well...with one bullet...for me if the spray doesn't work.

A hunter was attacked and killed by a grizzly bear in an Alaska state park – a first in the nature preserve, officials announced.

The victim was in Alaska’s Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve during a 10-day moose hunting trip on Sunday when the bear attacked, the U.S. National Park Service (NPS) announced Tuesday.

The hunter, whose name, age and gender were not immediately released, was in the area of the Chisana River drainage with a friend at the time.

The NPS called it “the first known bear mauling fatality recorded in Wrangell-St. Elias National Park and Preserve since the park was established in 1980.”

Officials urged hunters and park-goers to beware of bears and take necessary precautions.

My wife read me this story last night while going to sleep(my bed time story)from a national feed. Not much detail and she asked what I thought happened.

I told her I bet he killed a moose and a bear attacked trying to claim the kill. She said “claim”? Why would you use that word. I said because animals are not people. Head another bear killed the moose, it would have tried to claim it as his own meal.

A couple of minutes later she found the story on a local Alaskan feed. Sure enough, details revealed exactly what I had hypothesized.

She said how did you know that. I told her a story I had never shared about caribou hunting in Alaska. As another hunter and I went back to the caribou I had killed to pack out the last of the meat and skull, the guys in camp watched through the spotting scope as a pair of grizzly bears shadowed us in some alder thickets all the way back to the kill. We never knew they were there, but thankfully made it back to camp without incident. My hunting buddy was armed and acted as lookout and guard while I packed out 100 lbs of meat, hide and horn.

I told her a gun shot in Alaska is like a dinner bell to a bear. Just glad to be here to share the story and not the subject of a tragic news story!

Having lived and hunted in Alaska and Wyoming, I found the bears near Yellowstone much more aggressive on kills than those in Alaska. However there was one year on Kodak when the berry crop failed. Those bear were crazy aggressive!

Having lived and hunted in Alaska and Wyoming, I found the bears near Yellowstone much more aggressive on kills than those in Alaska. However there was one year on Kodak when the berry crop failed. Those bear were crazy aggressive!

animals-bear-hunter-huntsman-fisherman-angling-dpin42_low.jpg

So, I ASSume that it would be legal to shoot a bear in self-defense. :unsure::unsure:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.