Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA-EC, Limpopo, NWP; Spain; NZL; Ireland
While on a hunt in New Zealand last month, I had the privilege of meeting Mr. T.D. Kelsey. Both of us, along with our spouses, were hunting with the same outfitter on the North Island. T.D. is as close as I have come to meeting a true legend. His presence around the dinner table enhanced our trip beyond measure as he regaled us with stories from his past about flying, traveling, rodeoing, hunting and his art. He is still going strong in his mid-70s. Encounters such as this would not be possible without a shared love of adventure, nature, wildlife, and conservation.

T.D. Kelsey grew up on a ranch and rodeoed for many years in rough stock events and team roping. He worked as a pilot for United Airlines until resigning to devote more time to his art. However, his love for aviation continued as an accomplished aerobatic pilot. His website notes that, “His interest in, and promotion of, Texas longhorn cattle, maintenance of a wild horse herd on his ranch, passion for Africa and its wildlife, and concern for the conservation of wildlife worldwide have inspired many of his works. An avid traveler, he has visited many countries on every continent except Antarctica, drawing and sculpting people and animals from all corners of the world in addition to his western subjects. He is known for his intense, impressionistic sculptures that capture the spirit of his subjects.”

It’s impossible to sum-up T.D. in just a few paragraphs. His artistic accomplishments and legacy are listed on his website https://www.tdkelsey.com/wildlife. This brief chance encounter was truly inspiring. I feel privileged to have met T.D., be "free" to still hunt, and will cherish a reminder of our time together for years to come by welcoming “Grey Mirage” into our home.

Grey Mirage.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 7.56.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 7.56.59 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 7.57.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-02 at 7.57.29 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you