Greetings - Researching Lee Speed Rifles

jc5

Reaction score
Hello all! Happy to be part of this forum.

I am researching the commercially made Lee Metford and Lee Enfield ("Lee Speed") rifles manufactured from 1890 to 1939, especially the purpose-built sporting rifles, but also the military pattern rifles that were privately sold to target shooters. These were usually in .303, but can also be found in .375 Nitro Express, 8x50R, and .22 LR. My plan is to publish a comprehensive work on this subject that will be useful to collectors and historians, with information on how to identify and date these rifles.

What I need from gentlemen such as yourselves are pictures and data from any Lee Speed rifles that pass through your hands, or any other info or tips that might be useful. Please send me a private message for my Lee Speed survey form. It is only through your help that I can do this. I am also happy to offer any information I can about any such rifles, including identifying markings or establishing a place and date of manufacture. For the past several years, I have examined a large number of Lee Speeds.

Please note: I'm interested in data from any private (not government) Lee Enfield or Lee Metford rifles, regardless of whether they are stamped "Lee Speed." This would include any rifles with a simple "BSA&M," "BSA Co.," or "LSA Co." stamp on the butt socket. You won't see any military markings, only private proofs. You might see gunmaker or retailer markings, such Greener, Army& Navy, Jeffery, H&H, Westley Richards, etc. I am not interested in sporterized ex-service rifles---only rifles that were purposely built for commercial and civilian sale. There are a good many of them out there, but they often go unnoticed.

Of course, if you have any first-hand (or second-hand) hunting tales of the .303 British, I would love to hear them!

Thanks very much!

jc5

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Welcome to AH.

All the best in your research.

Bobpuckett

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NAHC Life Member, NRA Life Member,SCI, Buckmasters
Hunted
USA(from Coast to Coast and Alaska), Germany, South Africa, Canada
Welcome to AH jc5! I to am a Lee Enfield fan and at the moment I am building a 458 Win Mag using the the 1914 Enfield 303 action rebarreled in a 458 have no idea what I'm going to use it for when I'm done though.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Welcome to AH !

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Welcome to AH!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Have owned a couple and own a .303 now (my "Ghost and the Darkness" rifle.) Why don't you PM me with any questions.

Pieter06

Reaction score

I am researching the commercially made Lee Metford and Lee Enfield ("Lee Speed") rifles manufactured from 1890 to 1939, especially the purpose-built sporting rifles, but also the military pattern rifles that were privately sold to target shooters. These were usually in .303, but can also be found in .375 Nitro Express, 8x50R, and .22 LR. My plan is to publish a comprehensive work on this subject that will be useful to collectors and historians, with information on how to identify and date these rifles.

What I need from gentlemen such as yourselves are pictures and data from any Lee Speed rifles that pass through your hands, or any other info or tips that might be useful. Please send me a private message for my Lee Speed survey form. It is only through your help that I can do this. I am also happy to offer any information I can about any such rifles, including identifying markings or establishing a place and date of manufacture. For the past several years, I have examined a large number of Lee Speeds.

Please note: I'm interested in data from any private (not government) Lee Enfield or Lee Metford rifles, regardless of whether they are stamped "Lee Speed." This would include any rifles with a simple "BSA&M," "BSA Co.," or "LSA Co." stamp on the butt socket. You won't see any military markings, only private proofs. You might see gunmaker or retailer markings, such Greener, Army& Navy, Jeffery, H&H, Westley Richards, etc. I am not interested in sporterized ex-service rifles---only rifles that were purposely built for commercial and civilian sale. There are a good many of them out there, but they often go unnoticed.

Of course, if you have any first-hand (or second-hand) hunting tales of the .303 British, I would love to hear them!

Thanks very much!

jc5

Good day jc5
Here's some pics of my Lee Metford Speed Sporting rifle. (Note, I've taken off the Dust cover to see if there's any engraving under it, but none) And yes, it's dirty, just came back from the shooting range.
Could you perhaps help with a manufacturing year?
Regards
Pieter

DSC_1911.JPG
DSC_1912.JPG
DSC_1913.JPG
DSC_1914.JPG
DSC_1915.JPG

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Jc5 welcome to the AH forum.
Good luck in your book writing!

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Hello and welcome!

Pieter06

Reaction score
Last edited:

Sarg

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Hi Pieter06, is your rifle from South Africa or are you in SA as I see a sold out off service stamp on it, did the SA government seize all 303,s in the Wars as they did here in NZ ?

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia

Thanks very much!

jc5
@jc5
Have a look at Ian Skennertons book the Lee Enfield, I think he has already covered the subject.
Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiaraValen

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?