Greetings from Zambia

Black Lechwe

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia
Hi all,

I have browsed this site for a long time, but only getting to registering now. I have gleaned a lot of useful information from it, and hope I can contribute something useful too.

I live and work in Zambia's Bangweulu Swamps, which I am sure more than a few of you will have visited as the only area to hunt Black Lechwe and Bangweulu tsessebe in their native range, and a prime area for sitatunga.

I work for an African conservation organisation that is not anti-hunting. Even so, I will be using this site in my private capacity.

Oh, and that's NOT a Kafue lechwe in my picture!

Welcome to AH!

I'm sure you will be asked to share any photos you have with the community...

Regards

Welcome!

Welcome and enjoy.

Welcome to the site

Welcome to AH Black Lechwe! Glad you decided to join and looking forward to your participation and contribution...

Thanks for the welcome everyone... and I'll definitely be posting pictures.

Welcome to AH.
As a Spiral Horn addict you can share all the pictures you can find of those Sitatunga.

Look forward to your input.

Welcome to AH Black Lechwe! Glad you decided to join and looking forward to your participation and contribution...

Jerome, do you have any more info about this photo in the historical gallery? What are these antelope?

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
An old postcard from a scene in Congo, the one animal in the middle for me is a young Waterbuck, the two on each side Puku.

Does anyone have an idea what antelope this could be? A roan?
watermark.php

Kind of hard to tell but I think it is an African Forest Buffalo also known as Dwarf Forest Buffalo.

See similar below…

watermark.php

watermark.php

African forest buffalo (Syncerus caffer nanus) is the smallest subspecies of the African buffalo. It is related to the Cape buffalo (Syncerus caffer caffer), West African savanna buffalo (Syncerus caffer brachyceros) and Central African savanna buffalo (Syncerus caffer aequinoctialis). However, it is the only subspecies that occurs mainly in the rainforest of central and western Africa with an annual rainfall around 1,500 mm.

The African forest buffalo is a smaller variety of African buffalo. Cape buffalo weigh anywhere from 400 to 800 kg (880–1760 lbs), whereas African forest buffalo are much lighter, weighing in at 250 to 320 kg (550–705 lbs). Weight is not the only differentiation, however; this subspecies has reddish brown hide that is darker in the facial area. The shape and size of the horns distinguish forest buffalo from other subspecies. African forest buffalo have much smaller horns than their savanna counterparts, the Cape buffalo. Cape buffalo horns often grow and fuse together, but forest buffalo horns rarely fuse.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your area!

Welcome to AH. The more pics the merrier :)

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH.

Look forward to seeing photos from your area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross