Greetings from USA

abenson229

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, Safari Club International
Hello All,

Was happy to find this site, I'm just starting to collect information for my first Africa trip, hopefully in 2018, we shall see.

I've never hunted any truly big game; primarily I hunt whitetail deer and black bear in my home state of Pennsylvania and here in New England, plus small game and birds.

I want to do the 'standard' first trip, plains game in either South Africa or Namibia and have just started looking at guides...there are so many to choose from, more than I expected. Costs of course are significant, but, from what I've seen on various outfitter websites, less than I anticipated so that was a pleasant surprise. I haven't decided if I want to book the trip myself or go through an agent, but I'm leaning toward using an agent since I've never taken a guided trip anywhere before and have no idea what I'm doing. If anyone has worked through an agent that they're happy with I'd like to hear about them.

Welcome to AH abenson229! Glad you found us. Explore the site and all will start making more sense.

Welcome to AH and good luck on your search! There are lots of great outfitters on this site that can help you out.

Welcome to AH sir!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH, @abenson229 .
Glad to have you join our forum. You have certainly come to the right place to get the ball rolling. All the best with planning your safari.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH.

Spend some time reading the preparation pages here on AH and you'll get a quick feel for what you need to know to get it done right.

You'll need much of the same information to screen agents anyway.

Good luck with your planning.

abenson229,

Welcome and enjoy the research and planning. It really is half of the fun...

Using an agent is a good way to go and there is a couple of very good ones here on AH. Just make sure you research your agent like you would an outfitter. I was in the same place as you several years ago, and found out the hard way that not all agents work the same.
You are correct that South Africa has now become a hunting destination that the average middle class working guy can afford. It's not just Teddy Roosevelt that can afford to go today. And not even necessarily "a trip of a lifetime". I just got back last month and have been planning my next trip before I left on this one.
Have fun and let the planning begin(y)

welcome!

Ask a ton if questions and talk both directly to outfitters and agents. And read read read read read.

@James Jeffrey - HuntingAgent.com is a good guy to start with. He will shoot straight with you.

Holler at me if I can help.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome! You can learn a lot on this site and plenty of helpful and friendly folks willing to share information.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH and enjoy your planning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg