Greetings from the Rockies

Welcome!
Yes you should absolutely bring the boys. I brought my 12 year old son and 74 year old father last summer with PH Louw Lotter @Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris
It was an amazing experience! Having someone else help teach your son(s) to hunt is wonderful. You can hang back and watch the boys learn.
Remember being that age when your dad introduced you to someone really cool? As a kid It was suddenly easy to be quiet and watch and learn. My son really grew up a lot on that hunt with Louw.
As your boys have already been hunting with you, it will be even easier. And you don’t have to cook!

Welcome aboard SafariDreamer. By all means, take your boys, even if it means waiting an extra year or so. Have the boys been shooting a centerfire rifle? Do you have a youth model rifle or one that has been cut down to fit? Several of the fellas on AH have purchased 243(s) for the youngsters. I cut down a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser for my Grandkids. Take a look through some of the Forums to see what other youngsters have hunted.

Hello and welcome. Looks like you’ve got a plan started and good advice already. Best of luck. You and the kids will love it.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome aboard SafariDreamer. By all means, take your boys, even if it means waiting an extra year or so. Have the boys been shooting a centerfire rifle? Do you have a youth model rifle or one that has been cut down to fit? Several of the fellas on AH have purchased 243(s) for the youngsters. I cut down a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser for my Grandkids. Take a look through some of the Forums to see what other youngsters have hunted.
Thanks for the advice. Both boys have .243s and I hope to bring one I them for them to shoot. They have shot center fires in the past but gradually working their skill sets up over time and increasing caliber size gradually.

Welcome!
Yes you should absolutely bring the boys. I brought my 12 year old son and 74 year old father last summer with PH Louw Lotter @Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris
It was an amazing experience! Having someone else help teach your son(s) to hunt is wonderful. You can hang back and watch the boys learn.
Remember being that age when your dad introduced you to someone really cool? As a kid It was suddenly easy to be quiet and watch and learn. My son really grew up a lot on that hunt with Louw.
As your boys have already been hunting with you, it will be even easier. And you don’t have to cook!

I think you are right about them learning from someone other than their Dad. At this point, I have been their only teacher and I think they would listen intently to their PH.

SafariDreamer3, one of the things you and your boys need to do sooner rather than later is to start learning to shoot off sticks. All of you will be expected to do so in Africa.

Welcome Trent! Nothing like AH for information and getting people on their way to Africa.
Whenever your ready we would be happy to help you with your planning.

SafariDreamer3,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best regards,
Paul.

Hunting Africa with your boys won't be your problem, you'll find most of the outfitters on AH will offer you a tremendous hunting opportunities for your sons at very low prices. My problem with taking my 8 year old son it the airfare, I live in Kansas City and it's $2,300 - $2,400 per ticket to fly to SA. At the last safari show I attended I was told if I hunt Namibia in September airfare should be between $1,000 -$1,200 per ticket, I have not checked that out for myself but if its true I'll be heading to Namibia for my next African adventure.

SafariDreamer3, one of the things you and your boys need to do sooner rather than later is to start learning to shoot off sticks. All of you will be expected to do so in Africa.
I have a set of shooting sticks that I have used some over the years. Just starting to get the boys familiarized with them first with .22s and .223s and then will move up in caliber as they get more comfortable with the shooting position.

Welcome to AH Trent! Glad you found us and joined our community.
We would be happy to assist you in anyway possible.

I have dreamed of hunting in Africa since I was a little boy watching Mutual of Omaha. I would sit in front of the TV and shoot animals with my finger gun. I got my first taste of Africa 15+ years ago in Kenya after the US Embassy was bombed in Nairobi. During my time in Kenya I was able to spend over a week in the bush in a tent on the Serengeti and I was hooked. My dream has been to go back to Africa, but this time to hunt. I started hunting with my Dad and relatives at age 4 and I still have fond memories of some of those early hunts. Unfortunately, my father stopped hunting about the age I was old enough to start carrying a gun and I plan to not have the same thing happen with my sons.

I believe my time has come to head back to Africa to live out my dream and I have spoken to several outfitters for the past several years. However, I still have several questions for those of you who really know African hunting well, and particularly South Africa.

1. I have two sons who have been hunting the Rockies with me every fall since age 4. The will be 10 and 12 in May/June of 2020 when we plan to go and I would love to bring them along to shoot a few cull animals as well as to experience the adventure. If the outfitter agrees, I may have them shoot one of the trophy animals on my package and then mount it for them for a future Christmas present. Have any of you taken kids this young and had a successful trip? Are they old enough? They can shoot and hike 5+ miles a day in the Rockies and have done so with me but an African hunt is quite different from what they are accustomed to. My non-hunting brother plans to come along for the adventure and to film so I will have some assistance on the hunt and it wouldn’t just be me.

2. Difficulty in choosing an outfitter and suggestions: I have called references and spoken to every one I know that has hunted Africa. I have read every online review on the outfitters I am considering and that is how I came upon this sight. Some of the mostly highly recommended outfitters my friends have gone with are simply well beyond my price range so not an option for me and my finances if I bring the boys. I am currently seriously considering going with either Marius at KMG or with Huntershill, both of which are in the Eastern Cape. I have read many good reviews for both but is anyone aware of any legitimate reason not to book with either of these groups?
3. Opionions and guidance on trip insurance? Yes, no, and if yes, with whom? I was told by one person to purchase it with plane tickets but not sure how this works.
4. If you buy a package, realistically how many animals can you expect to take out of the package on a 10 day/ 10 animal package?

This hunt may end up being a once in a lifetime deal....although I hope not.. but I want it to be successful and fun for my boys as an experience they will never forget.

I really look forward to any guidance or thoughts you all are willing to share.

Trent
1. I believe the Eastern Cape is a great place to take your boys especially if they can keep up. It’s a big plus that your brother is going, to me that makes taking the boys a no brainer. I’m taking my 13 yo son to Namibia in May.
2. Both are fine as far as I know. Also check out Frontier Safaris. They are a big full service outfit that I’ve hunted with,
3. Book your plane ticket with a travel agent. Travel Express or Travel With Guns are my suggestions. Get the Ripcord policy that is both regular trip insurance plus medical evacuation insurance. It’s a good value. Did I say use a travel agent? Oh yea make sure you use a travel agent!
4. It depends on the game farm you are hunting, what you are after, how particular you are about trophies, and how well you can shoot. Don’t be fooled by some stories on here of easy hunts. Even in EC be prepared to hike and shoot long distances. I am not one who would ever take 10 trophies in 10 days as I’m going to be after trophies.

I hope you have a great safari and welcome to AH!
Philip

1. I believe the Eastern Cape is a great place to take your boys especially if they can keep up. It’s a big plus that your brother is going, to me that makes taking the boys a no brainer. I’m taking my 13 yo son to Namibia in May.
2. Both are fine as far as I know. Also check out Frontier Safaris. They are a big full service outfit that I’ve hunted with,
3. Book your plane ticket with a travel agent. Travel Express or Travel With Guns are my suggestions. Get the Ripcord policy that is both regular trip insurance plus medical evacuation insurance. It’s a good value. Did I say use a travel agent? Oh yea make sure you use a travel agent!
4. It depends on the game farm you are hunting, what you are after, how particular you are about trophies, and how well you can shoot. Don’t be fooled by some stories on here of easy hunts. Even in EC be prepared to hike and shoot long distances. I am not one who would ever take 10 trophies in 10 days as I’m going to be after trophies.

I hope you have a great safari and welcome to AH!
Philip
Thanks for the suggestions Philip. Already reached out to Travel Express and am trying to figure out the best way to bring my own guns instead of renting so I will have a gun I am very comfortable with out to 800 yrds. Don’t plan to shoot that far but if I have to reach out on a long shot I would prefer to do it with a rifle, scope and loads I am very familiar with.

Welcome to the best forum in the world Trent! Have fun!

Thanks for the suggestions Philip. Already reached out to Travel Express and am trying to figure out the best way to bring my own guns instead of renting so I will have a gun I am very comfortable with out to 800 yrds. Don’t plan to shoot that far but if I have to reach out on a long shot I would prefer to do it with a rifle, scope and loads I am very familiar with.
The travel agent will take care of your gun not to worry. I always take my own gun. Let us know how the planning is going.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg