Ontario Hunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
SA
Yes, 16th of April and it IS snowing here. I am in the process of building a .404 Jeffery on a Mauser 98 and found several very useful threads on Africa Hunting. Since I've been to the East Cape a few times hunting, figured I should join instead of lurking like some creepy coward.

:S Welcome:

Show us some pics of your 404 build in progress

Yes, 16th of April and it IS snowing here. I am in the process of building a .404 Jeffery on a Mauser 98 and found several very useful threads on Africa Hunting. Since I've been to the East Cape a few times hunting, figured I should join instead of lurking like some creepy coward.
Welcome to AH

:S Welcome:

Show us some pics of your 404 build in progress
I bought the action with a new 30-06 barrel attached. 404 barrel has been ordered: 1-14 twist in chrome-moly 24" when finished. I will be ordering the bottom metal this week. Still shopping for a stock. Twelve week turnaround for the barrel. When finished, it will strongly resemble my 30-06 Springfield (see attached). Warne quick detach rings, rail, Model 70 express iron sights, and Timney trigger. The Springfield has taken game in Ontario, Montana, Idaho, and Eastern Cape. I have already acquired dies, brass, and almost two boxes of 400 gr Barnes bullets.
20221031_131148.jpg

in the case.jpg

Very Nice! Thanks for sharing

Giday OH and welcome to the A H forums. You will be in good company with your 404 build. A great cartridge that is coming back into its own as the premier Africa cartridge.
I expect with your perusal of the forums you may have read throguh this thread but it is always worth reposting.

And of course this poem is a standard whenever the 404 comes into the conversation.

A poem by
Lon Paul

It rested between the Ivory
That hung on Grandpa's wall
It's finally checked and yellowed
Like the tusks it helped to fall

It's barrel smooth and polished
From a hundred bearers hands
It reflected the light warmly
Like campfires flickering brands

The stock of English walnut
Chewed and clawed a bit
It still showed a trace of checkering
an a dent where a horn had hit

Stamped on the barrel lightly
Was a name and not much more
A single word "Jeffery"
"Jeffery .404"

If that rifle could only talk
And take us back once again
With grandpa in Africa
A time of Buffalo,Elephants and men

But that day has set it's sun
And the rifle speaks no more
Oh what I'd give for one last time
To hear it's mighty roar

Grandpa's "Jeffery"
His "Jeffery .404"

No more lurking, great to see other Canadian members. Welcome to the best African Hunting site, so many experienced knowledgeable safari goers on here. You have found the site for all things Africa. Welcome fellow Canuck. Better keep them joules down on your 404, someone could be after it. Where about in ON do you reside?

MB

Welcome to AH Ontario Hunter! Glad you found us.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome!
But snow is not a Canadian or polar monopoly! We had it few days ago and 500 m higher than my place it is still there.

Welcome from a fellow Ontarian. Are you gearing up for turkey season now?

Welcome from a fellow Ontarian. Are you gearing up for turkey season now?
No turkeys up here but I may be headed to Pearson soon to pick up my latest African trophies (bad history with Canadian customs brokers and freight companies). Maybe I'll get lucky when I'm down there and bag one with the big bore grille on the front of my GMC Jimmy. It's taken a few deer over the years.

No more lurking, great to see other Canadian members. Welcome to the best African Hunting site, so many experienced knowledgeable safari goers on here. You have found the site for all things Africa. Welcome fellow Canuck. Better keep them joules down on your 404, someone could be after it. Where about in ON do you reside?

MB
NW Lakehead

Welcome to you! I have fond memories from visits to your Province.

No turkeys up here but I may be headed to Pearson soon to pick up my latest African trophies (bad history with Canadian customs brokers and freight companies). Maybe I'll get lucky when I'm down there and bag one with the big bore grille on the front of my GMC Jimmy. It's taken a few deer over the years.
Let us know how your import goes. I am currently getting ready for one to Vancouver. I have always cleared my own and plan on this time, seams there are way more hands out looking for my money this time around and what I call hunter unfriendly people with power or positions.

Good luck on missing deer, 400, 401 craziness and getting your shipment.

MB

Giday OH and welcome to the A H forums. You will be in good company with your 404 build. A great cartridge that is coming back into its own as the premier Africa cartridge.
I expect with your perusal of the forums you may have read throguh this thread but it is always worth reposting.

And of course this poem is a standard whenever the 404 comes into the conversation.

A poem by
Lon Paul

It rested between the Ivory
That hung on Grandpa's wall
It's finally checked and yellowed
Like the tusks it helped to fall

It's barrel smooth and polished
From a hundred bearers hands
It reflected the light warmly
Like campfires flickering brands

The stock of English walnut
Chewed and clawed a bit
It still showed a trace of checkering
an a dent where a horn had hit

Stamped on the barrel lightly
Was a name and not much more
A single word "Jeffery"
"Jeffery .404"

If that rifle could only talk
And take us back once again
With grandpa in Africa
A time of Buffalo,Elephants and men

But that day has set it's sun
And the rifle speaks no more
Oh what I'd give for one last time
To hear it's mighty roar

Grandpa's "Jeffery"
His "Jeffery .404"
Thanks for that link. I had tripped on some of those threads. Nice to have them consolidated. Duane Weibe in Washington state has published a book on what's involved in converting standard Mauser 98 to magnum. He has dropped a copy in the mail for me. It will be very helpful for my gunsmith. A special thank you for the reloading info. Guess I'll need to order a crimper. Hopefully I can pick your brain as this project progresses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.