Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA (Alaska, Kansas, Maryland)
Hello to all from the northern shores of Bristol Bay!

I am, I suppose, like a lot of folks: dreams of Africa someday... and then you realize the years have skipped past pretty fast, and it's time to start thinking on acting.

I have lurked as a visitor for a number of years, popping in when I was curious about something specific.

My reason for finally signing up is I'd really like to get serious about putting together a trip for myself and my 16 year old daughter. I have hunted my whole life, most of it in AK, and have had decent success over the course of my life on caribou, moose, brown bear and black bear. My daughter is still fairly new to hunting but does well with any gun I give her at the range. In addition to looking at what's posted if folks have suggestions on great places to look for a dad/daughter destination, I'd be happy to listen.

Thanks! :)

Welcome :S Welcome:

Greetings Terry
What a great opportunity you have to create your own Safari with your daughter and to share those unforgettable moments that only come from hunting in Africa! You will find the whole spectrum - from budget, fenced hunts to the more expensive true wilderness safaris all of which have their place in the market. So much depends on what you are looking for and I would start by trying to define your requirements before you start looking or you will get bogged down in hundreds of offers all with their own merits. I would suggest a simple plainsgame hunt to start with and work you way up from there? There are a number of reputable South African operators offering very cheap packages but in most cases, you will have to get your head around hunting within a fence. If you are looking for that free-range hunt in un-spoilt Africa you should look further North.
Let us know if we can help you with any more advice or at least point you in the right direction?

Good luck with all the planning which of course is only the beginning of your African Adventure!

Hello @Tundra Tiger ,

At Limcroma Safaris, hosting family & couples is our specialty... We would welcome the opportunity to host you and your daughter on what is sure to be an adventure of a lifetime. Please take a few moments to read our client hunting reports, and review the multitude of media we have posted here on the AH.com forum to see if you would be interested in the Limcroma Safaris experience. Enjoy your planning and research. It's half the fun!

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ee-what-awaits-you-on-a-safari-with-us.47571/

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH!

Welcome! Please share some of your Alaskan adventures with us.

I would suggest a simple plainsgame hunt to start with and work you way up from there? There are a number of reputable South African operators offering very cheap packages but in most cases, you will have to get your head around hunting within a fence.

My apologies in advance if I am misinterpreting your meaning but it comes off as a veiled shot with a very negative inference to hunting with an outfitter who has high fence properties. I personally would have loved to have taken my family to hunt "un-spoilt" Africa, but the cost and added expenses of connecting flights and adding in extra travel days was way out of my budget. If it was not for the options that were offered in South Africa, we would have never had the chance to have done a family safari at all. Africa in general is an amazing destination with lots of options for almost any budget. No need in my opinion to slight one over the other. I'm sure you operate a wonderful outfit and the best of luck in your endeavors. If I ever hit the lottery, I will be in touch.

Welcome to AH Terry! Nice of you to join the conversation and all the best finding you and your daughter dream African hunt.

Last edited:
Welcome to AH. Plenty of Alaskans on here. I'm out of Anchorage myself. Lot's of good places can set up a memorable Father/Daughter trip, what are you interested in to help outfitters out.
Good luck and good hunting.

Welcome to AH! What are the main animals on your list? We would be happy to host you and your daughter in camp . PM some details and we can work up a great adventure for you .

Welcome to the forum Terry. You will be spoilt for choice here. A short introduction to Nick Bowker Hunting. I am a small outfitter in the Eastern Cape Midlands in South Africa. I conduct all hunting personally and will be with you 24/7. My specialty is first time African Hunters.

As suggested in this thread a Plains Game Package would be a great way to start. I would also point out that I do not hunt behind high fences. The species offered in the below package are largely endemic and Free Ranging in the Bedford area.

Below is a package which I am currently offering. I would be happy to tailor in anyway to meet your needs.

https://www.africahunting.com/threa...7-trophies-from-us-4-500-all-inclusive.50610/

upload_2019-6-1_18-34-46.jpeg

:S Welcome::S Welcome::S Welcome:

Currently sitting in the airport at Ketchikan and I am still a long way from you. I would suggest that you check out the Strauss’s at Kowas in Namibia. They are a great family and will do an amazing job for you. Bottom line the AH family is tremendous and you will do well to check out all the outfitters.(y)

Welcome aboard!

You've already got some suggestions.
Welcome to the posting side of AH.

Hi Terry, welcome to AH !

Thanks to all who responded. To those who are promoting their own businesses... I look forward to checking out what you provide in the days and weeks ahead.

My own dream has always been to bowhunt somewhere in Africa, but I'm going to put that on the backburner to pursue the opportunity to put together a hunt with my daughter. While I've had decent luck hunting in Alaska over the course of my adult life, my daughter is just getting started.

I have always been a low-key, low maintenance sort. I don't need to come to Africa to slay record-setting beasts. Frankly, a realistic chance at representative species is just fine by me, truly. It's much, much more about the process and the experience and if we have the opportunity to harvest a few species... that'd be right fine. My own thoughts, in considering a hunt with my daughter, would be something in South Africa for plains game would be a great start. I'd love to do something more free range / open for myself someday, but I don't need that for this.

My own list of plains game that interests me, as I've thought about it through the years, include species like kudu, waterbuck and wildebeest... but I'm very open-minded. And I don't have a list for my daughter; she'd be happy as a clam to hunt anything. Again, it's more about being able to go and having the opportunity.

Again, thanks to all who responded. I have dreamed of going for years. It's only been recently that she's expressed and interest, and that I've started to think about making it a dad and daughter thing, as well as recognizing that I really need to start making plans to make it happen. I don't know if getting something in place for next summer is possible, or if most outfitters already have their 2020 dance card filled, but I know we could make it work from our end that soon.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg