Greetings from Stockholm

bonnevier, welcome to the AH forum! At only 32, Im envious of you going to Africa so young! Excellent age to start!

Welcome Bonnevier, I like your current battery and expected acquisitions. You will be prepared for just about anything that walks. Do you reload? Out of curiosity what kind of dog do you hunt with? Have you taken any Moose yet?

Welcome Bonnevier, I like your current battery and expected acquisitions. You will be prepared for just about anything that walks. Do you reload? Out of curiosity what kind of dog do you hunt with? Have you taken any Moose yet?
The plan is to go with the .416 until I get the buffalo (which I hope I will, I am not getting ahead of myself) and then use the .375 for the remaining plains game. But we will see, plans have a way of changing :)

Regrettably, I haven't taken any moose yet. In Sweden, we typically hunt moose for one week in October, and if the quota is not met we hunt for a weekend or two in November/December. I have been hunting moose for about 4 years and have had my fair amount of chances, but due to restrictions, I haven't yet been able to pull the trigger.

Also, due to a substantial rise in the wolf population, we have noticed a large decrease in moose. Hopefully that will get turned around but it will obviously take several years.

Another dream of mine is to go to the north of Sweden for "proper" moose hunting :)

The dog is a Drever, one of our most classical and typical gun dogs. Quite similar to a Beagle but with shorter legs. It is never solely used as a pet due to its sharpness and hunting instincts. Even though the race nowadays is very friendly. Typically used for small game such as hare, fox and roe deer. They have an excellent sense of smell and I have successfully tracked both injured roe deer and wild boar with him. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drever

Giday and welcome to the A H forums

Missed the question regarding handloading; I do not. But I guess I ought to start, otherwise the trip won't be the most expensive part of the hunt I reckon :LOL:

Welcome to AH !

Bonnevier, take a look at the cost of the 416 Remington Magnum ammunition and you will see why I asked if you reloaded. For sure it costs a bunch to get started but once you have the basic necessities you can start amortizing those costs over the ammo produced. You can then either start shooting more often or save a lot of money on the ammo you do expend. If you start reloading, keep your eye out for sales, and take advantage of them when you can.

Bonnevier, take a look at the cost of the 416 Remington Magnum ammunition and you will see why I asked if you reloaded. For sure it costs a bunch to get started but once you have the basic necessities you can start amortizing those costs over the ammo produced. You can then either start shooting more often or save a lot of money on the ammo you do expend. If you start reloading, keep your eye out for sales, and take advantage of them when you can.
A box of ammo will run you over 200 USD here... I will keep my eye out for the equipment to get started! Thanks for the advice.

Welcome to the site-always wanted to come shoot large grouse out of trees with a small rifle. Maybe bring home a member of the Swedish women’s volleyball team...
Every bodies bucket list is different!
You will love the eastern cape—kudu heaven!

Welcome to AH

Welcome to the site-always wanted to come shoot large grouse out of trees with a small rifle. Maybe bring home a member of the Swedish women’s volleyball team...
Every bodies bucket list is different!
You will love the eastern cape—kudu heaven!
You are very welcome. Let me know if you plan a trip, we have a great population of wood-grouse/capercaillie on my hunting ground. You can see them by the gravel roads early mornings. When they have withdrawn into the woods later on, and you happen to alarm them, it sounds like all hell is breaking loose as they fly off to the treetops. Scared me shitless on more than one occasion :LOL:

Välkommen ombord!

I read about your plans on the on the other forum, and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun in the planning and practice stages.

And yes, do start reloading. :)

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to this fine forum!

Welcome, I’m pretty new here too. I came to learn about big bores and I stayed for the great community. Africa is a long way off for me but one can dream.

How do you like that 9.3x57? My understanding is that is pretty similar ballistically to our 358 Winchester.

What do you mean by “proper” moose hunting up north. Do you mean the chance of a kill is better or is it just more of a wilderness up north?

welcome welcome wlelcome

sounds like you have a nice hunt lined up in SA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg