Greetings from South Africa

Paul Raley

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi All .

Having read various posts on this forum and learning some new things I decided to join thus I am now a new member to this forum.

I reside in Gauteng , South Africa which makes me fortunate in being fairly close to some great hunting areas .

I am a passionate hunter and firearms collector and look forward to interacting with the like minded persons on this forum , discussing and learning about all things related to firearms and hunting .

Greetings to all .
Paul.

Welcome aboard Paul, glad that you joined us. Given your location you obviously have a leg up on most of us when it comes to hunting opportunities. What species of game have you taken in the past? What kind and caliber rifles do you own? Do you have any particular species in mind for next year's hunt?

Welcome to AH Paul!

Welcome to AH Paul!

Welcome aboard Paul, glad that you joined us. Given your location you obviously have a leg up on most of us when it comes to hunting opportunities. What species of game have you taken in the past? What kind and caliber rifles do you own? Do you have any particular species in mind for next year's hunt?

Hi Shootist43

Up until now I have shot Impala , Blue wildebeest , Black Wildebeest , Warthog , Eland , Bushbuck and Blesbuck . I have been hunting Kudu , Gemsbuck , Springbuck and Bushpig but never got opportunity for a clean shot .
I am not a trophy hunter but hunt for “table meat “ and only hunt using the walk and stalk method .
I have quite a few hunting rifles and try to use all of them for at least one hunt . The rifle I have used the most is my Sako “Manlicher carbine” in 375h&h , but over the last few years I have used my Brno 30-06 , Marlin lever action 45-70 & 44 mag , Rossi Puma 357 mag , CZ550 in 416 Rigby and Parker Hale .308 .
This year I am going to try and hunt with my Wilhelm Brenekke 9,3x64 and Sako .243 .
On the menu this year will most probably be Impala , Blue wildebeest , warthog and maybe bushpig and Eland , all depends on time and opportunity .

Giday Paul, and welcome to the A H forums

Welcome to AH Paul.

Welcome to AH.

Happy hunting.

Are your hunts considered cull hunts by the land / ranch / farm owners? Do you have the meat processed by a butcher or do it yourself? Freezer wrapped, vacuum packed or biltong? What do you typically pay for the animals you take?

Welcome to AH!

Are your hunts considered cull hunts by the land / ranch / farm owners? Do you have the meat processed by a butcher or do it yourself? Freezer wrapped, vacuum packed or biltong? What do you typically pay for the animals you take?

In SA I would say there are two main categories of “hunts” namely trophy / “biltong” ( meat) hunts and then culling ( which is not hunting ) .
The trophy hunts and the “biltong” hunts are more or less conducted the same in that one goes to a ranch / farm and hunts what one has agreed with the land owner , normally hunted on foot or shot from the back of a pick up ( I personally do not regard this as hunting ) .
Culling for me is that one or multiple animals need to be “harvested” by any means possible , including shooting off a vehicle , shooting from hides , using multiple shooters , shooting at night with lights , etc .
When my hunt is done I take the carcass and have one of the local butchers process the meat into table meat , biltong and drywors ( dried sausage ) . Most table meat I have vacuum packed .
Currently I would say average prices (in SA rands) for non trophy male animals that I hunt are as follows : Impala R1500 , Blue Wildebeest R3500 , Warthog R1000 , Blesbuck R1500 .
I hope this helps ?

Paul, welcome to the AH forum! I’m looking forward to reading some of your experiences!

Hi Paul, welcome to AH !

Welcome to Ah,

Hello and welcome!

Thank you all for the warm welcome .
Is there anyone on this group that hunts and reloads for 30-30 and 44 mag microgroove Marlin lever actions ?
I am also looking for someone that has experience reloading and hunting with a 9,3 x 64 Brenneke ?

Any input will be appreciated .

BR
Paul

Hi All .

Having read various posts on this forum and learning some new things I decided to join thus I am now a new member to this forum.

I reside in Gauteng , South Africa which makes me fortunate in being fairly close to some great hunting areas .

I am a passionate hunter and firearms collector and look forward to interacting with the like minded persons on this forum , discussing and learning about all things related to firearms and hunting .

Greetings to all .
Paul.

Hello Paul Raley,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH, Paul!

Welcome to the family and the forum Paul! Nice to have you as part of the forum. Enjoy the site!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,