Mariette

Reaction score
Hi all

What a great wealth of information - thank you to all the experienced and even less experienced hunter on this website. I have recently hunted my very first animal which was a springbok - this was in the Western Cape in South Africa in the Karoo on my dad's farm. Since I was young I have always wanted to hunt a springbok and then a gemsbok and what great privilege and experience it was to do that, even only at the age of 36!

Of course, now the bug has bitten and I am very excited to plan my next hunting experience but first of all I have to learn all the basics such as rifles, calibers, gear, shot placements and just the jargon! So this is why I registered on this website which has already been of great help. As you can see from my photo, I definitely need better gear :)

I am also looking at the various ideas of how to mount my horns - so being a woman, I have opted for a more feminine look by doing a wooden box frame with glass - then to place the horns inside with the photo and add a golden plaque with the information of the hunt - perhaps any other ideas?

So, thanks again! And any help is much appreciated!

Cheers
Mariette

20170617_145712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH.

Welcome to AH Mariette, you will find this this to be a great site for getting answers to all of your hunting related questions. Where do you live? Are there any shooting clubs near by? Do you own any rifles? If so what caliber?

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH Mariette! Glad you found us and decided to join the conversation. Looking forward to having you as part of our community.

Congratulations on your first hunt. Nice Springbok.

Share your trophy presentation when you get it completed. I expect you'll start a new trend.

Welcome.

Welcome to AH.
Share your trophy presentation when you get it completed. I expect you'll start a new trend.
Totally agree with BRICKBURN on this one, would love to see the finished product.

Welcome to the site..congrats on your VERY nice springbok.
Like your ideas on trophy presentation...
Great to have another South African lady on board.

Hartelikke welkom Mariette!

Before long you will start hunting in other provinces and then the fun in planning hunting trips with the family really starts!

Good luck, enjoy and keep us up to date on the progress of your horn mount (y)

Welcome!

Welcome to AH Mariette, you will find this this to be a great site for getting answers to all of your hunting related questions. Where do you live? Are there any shooting clubs near by? Do you own any rifles? If so what caliber?

Hi Shootist43

I live in Graaff-Reinet in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa - it is now hunting season and the kudu's are running for their lives :) I am actually unsure of a shooting club per se as I live in a very small town, however, we do have a clay pigeon club. I joined the rest of my colleagues for a team building at this club and I had a very good win so I thoroughly enjoyed the sport and is actually keen on joining the club.

I don't own any rifles yet but I used my dad's .303 which he inherited from my late grandfather - he owned 4 of them and they were still used in the war. My dad had the wooden part re-built to be sport style - not sure the exact description. So, I am in love with that rifle but yes, I would like to get myself one now and even a shotgun for the clay pigeon sport.

I'm not exactly sure what type of rifle I should get and what is available in South Africa at a decent price so I'll keep on reading the forums. My next hunt will be for fellow deer, kudu and then eventually gemsbok. I will see what comes next then...

Keep well
M

Congratulations on your first hunt. Nice Springbok.

Welcome.

Thank you! I will most definitely share the trophy once complete - I'm still waiting for the skull part to dry - any tips on getting this done without using salt and waiting for it to dry?

Suppose I will be starting a new trend then - not sure if you will be able to follow it then otherwise I'll just post it here too.

Keep well!
M

Welcome to AH.

Totally agree with BRICKBURN on this one, would love to see the finished product.

Hi - I will definitely show it off once it is done :) I have attached a design I made for the local framer who will be making the box for me. The black block at the bottom is just to show the description which I will be engraving on the golden plaque.

Keep well
M

20170630_093922.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hartelikke welkom Mariette!

Before long you will start hunting in other provinces and then the fun in planning hunting trips with the family really starts!

Good luck, enjoy and keep us up to date on the progress of your horn mount (y)

Baie dankie Boela! Just a pity that it is so expensive especially if I now hunted all the animals I had on my wishlist and then decide to go for the bigger ones! But I'm sure I will make a plan!

Welcome to AH, Mariette !

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg