Greetings from London and Luanda!

Oscar, I just finished watching your incredible 32 day journey down the Kwanza River, thank you so much for sharing it here. I really enjoyed watching it, you put this all together so professionally and nicely. I'm sure the members here will enjoy spending a little bit of time with you in Angola through this film. Congratulations to the both of you for finishing your challenging expedition despite all of the difficulties en route.

Welcome to AH Oz! Sounds like one heck of a trip, Congrats!

Great video and quite an adventure. I worked 5 years in Angola, up north in Cabinda and your dealings with the government officials brings back memories.......bad memories. Thanks for sharing this with us. Besides the hippos, did you happen to see any other wildlife?

Welcome and well done on your adventure.
I worked in Angola for 5 years and know parts of the Kwanza. The size of Crocs that I saw there would put me off such a trip for life!!!!!

Great question, please do share.

We saw signs of lions in the Luando Nature Reserve, but luckily didn't bump into any! Plenty of crocs, plenty of hippos. Almost zero snakes which was weird...

I actually released a book about this amazing adventure. We are donating 25% of the profits to The HALO Trust, to help remove landmines from Angola and make it landmine-free by the year 2025. You can download the e-book version here: https://unbound.com/books/kayak-the-kwanza/ or here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kayak-Kwanza-Oscar-Scafidi/dp/1789650127/

For a brief overview of the main hazards of the trip, here's an article I wrote about it: https://polosbastards.com/kayaking-the-kwanza-river/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.31.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.31.46 AM.png
    966.5 KB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.32.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.32.00 AM.png
    743 KB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.32.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.32.28 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
The reserve we trekked through (with the lions) is the one that is home to Angola's national animal, the Palanca Negra Giant Sable. You can read all about the work to protect the Palancas over on Angolan conservationist Pedro Va Pinto's Angola Fieldgroup page: https://angolafieldgroup.com/palanca-negra/

The lion in that park has killed and eaten more than one poacher! But even more dramatic, Pedro once darted a Palanca to collar it, and had a lion jump on the sedated animal! Luckily they scared it away with the helicopter. What a disaster that would have been if the lion had eaten her!

Screen-Shot-2020-04-17-at-9-20-27-AM.png

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2020-04-17-at-9-20-27-AM.png
    Screen-Shot-2020-04-17-at-9-20-27-AM.png
    673.1 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.33.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 8.33.14 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
A belated welcome to the forum ozymandias 24

Wonderful adventure. I saw your recent post needing help for information on poaching in Mozambique which led me to this adventure. Great job not only putting this trip and documentary together but also raising money for HALO. Thank you for posting and good luck on your life travels

Wonderful adventure. I saw your recent post needing help for information on poaching in Mozambique which led me to this adventure. Great job not only putting this trip and documentary together but also raising money for HALO. Thank you for posting and good luck on your life travels

Thanks Tucketed! Stay tuned for the next adventure: kayaking the longest river in Madagascar (the Mangoky).

No idea when that will happen though, given the current lockdown!

Hello Oz,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I say Bravo! to you and yours for your efforts in removing land mines from Angola.

Cheers,
Paul.

Really enjoyed your video. It was put together well.

Welcome back Oz! I am so envious of your adventures! I have kayaked a bit and really enjoy it. Quite a bit in Florida,USA fishing. The Rogue River in Oregon, USA. Finally destroyed my raft in the Lake Fork of the Gunnison in Colorado, USA (almost drowned my first wife, but unfortunately not!:LOL::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:) Saved and patched up a lady kayaker who flipped hers. Lots of fun times, but nothing to compare to yours!

Hello Oz,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I say Bravo! to you and yours for your efforts in removing land mines from Angola.

Cheers,
Paul.

Thanks Paul! Here's hoping we can make Angola landmine-free by the year 2025. In September 2015 Mozambique was declared landmine-free, so it is possible with enough investment!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-34275604

Welcome back Oz! I am so envious of your adventures! I have kayaked a bit and really enjoy it. Quite a bit in Florida,USA fishing. The Rogue River in Oregon, USA. Finally destroyed my raft in the Lake Fork of the Gunnison in Colorado, USA (almost drowned my first wife, but unfortunately not!:LOL::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:) Saved and patched up a lady kayaker who flipped hers. Lots of fun times, but nothing to compare to yours!

Sounds good Ridgewalker! I went kayaking in the USA once, in Conway, New Hampshire on the Saco River. Really beautiful in mid-summer, with crystal clear water. No hippos to worry about either! You really are spoiled for choice over there in terms of kayaking locations.

I would love to try kayak fishing one day. We actually discussed taking lines and bait on our expedition, but given that neither Alfy or I knew how to fish properly, didn't think this was worth the extra weight. In the end we just bought fish from the local fishermen that we bumped into on the river from time to time. A delicious change in our otherwise monotonous diet!

Alfy-fisherman.png

Attachments

• Alfy-fisherman.png
    Alfy-fisherman.png
    468.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois