Greetings from Hampshire

Sh1kar

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Limpopo, Eastern Cape, Zambia, Mozambique, Macedonia
Hello AH

I thought I was a member here from some years ago but apparently not. A regular UK deerstalker and Africa hunter - mainly SA, Zambia and Mozambique. Just planning 25th trip for next year. Also hunted in Macedonia. Have several rifles .223 to 500NE. Our last trip to Niassa a few months ago took only open sight double rifles. Made some of the PG stalking interesting!

Looking forward to drawing on the knowledge here and contributing when I can

S

Welcome to AH sh1car. Please can you tell us about your open sight double hunt in Niassa- what double was it? What PG did you shoot, and at what distance?

Welcome welcome welcome

Welcome to AH!!

Welcome to AH, like Kevin said,tell us more about that double and maybe even spoil us with a photo!

Welcome, yes please provide details of your hunts.

Hello AH

I thought I was a member here from some years ago but apparently not. A regular UK deerstalker and Africa hunter - mainly SA, Zambia and Mozambique. Just planning 25th trip for next year. Also hunted in Macedonia. Have several rifles .223 to 500NE. Our last trip to Niassa a few months ago took only open sight double rifles. Made some of the PG stalking interesting!

S
Welcome to AH from rural Idaho! Sue

Welcome aboard. Good group of folks here in the site.

:S Welcome:

Hello AH

S
Welcome to AH

:S Welcome: to AH!

Hello Sh1kar,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH Sh1kar! Looking forward to your contribution.

Welcome to AH sh1car. Please can you tell us about your open sight double hunt in Niassa- what double was it? What PG did you shoot, and at what distance?
This was the third trip to Niassa. Previously hunted with Derek Littleton, who was there on this trip also, but Paul Stones was the lead this time round.

4 of us this time, myself and another mate with doubles - his a H&H 500/450. Mine is an Isaac Hollis. We were both hunting buffalo. I shot mine on about day 3 I think - we were there for 10 days hunting. A one horned old Dagga, with one other bull. I shot face on in the chest as he stood staring trying to figure us out as were partially obscure by a baobab tree. He was about 20 yards away and fortunately decided to turn and run. Made it about 70 yards before the 570 grain solid did its work. Oddly the other bull it turns out only ran about 50 yards into the jesse which we didn't realise at first. Waited the usual 10 mins and followed up. Plenty of lung blood after a short while. We did have a moment after the 50 yards when the other bull crashed off through the thickets which gave us a bit of turn thinking the other one was charging. The guy I shot turns out was blind in the eye same side as the broken horn - which was now very rounded and polished

Also shot Eland, Kudu, Warthog (15 yards away kneeling down), bush pig, impala etc. It was all very relaxed as we had all decided not to bother bringing trophies home so no pressure for anything particular - my trophy room pretty full now anyway.

The furthest shot was probably the Eland at c70 yards - don't you just hate those damn flies Kudu and Eland have.

If not been to Niassa I can thoroughly recommend it, a bit of a bugger to get to (2 days each way for us), but those inselbergs give it a real Jurassic park feel

S

This was the third trip to Niassa. Previously hunted with Derek Littleton, who was there on this trip also, but Paul Stones was the lead this time round.

4 of us this time, myself and another mate with doubles - his a H&H 500/450. Mine is an Isaac Hollis. We were both hunting buffalo. I shot mine on about day 3 I think - we were there for 10 days hunting. A one horned old Dagga, with one other bull. I shot face on in the chest as he stood staring trying to figure us out as were partially obscure by a baobab tree. He was about 20 yards away and fortunately decided to turn and run. Made it about 70 yards before the 570 grain solid did its work. Oddly the other bull it turns out only ran about 50 yards into the jesse which we didn't realise at first. Waited the usual 10 mins and followed up. Plenty of lung blood after a short while. We did have a moment after the 50 yards when the other bull crashed off through the thickets which gave us a bit of turn thinking the other one was charging. The guy I shot turns out was blind in the eye same side as the broken horn - which was now very rounded and polished

Also shot Eland, Kudu, Warthog (15 yards away kneeling down), bush pig, impala etc. It was all very relaxed as we had all decided not to bother bringing trophies home so no pressure for anything particular - my trophy room pretty full now anyway.

The furthest shot was probably the Eland at c70 yards - don't you just hate those damn flies Kudu and Eland have.

If not been to Niassa I can thoroughly recommend it, a bit of a bugger to get to (2 days each way for us), but those inselbergs give it a real Jurassic park feel

S
Thank you S, sounds like a wonderful experience. I am going to try to use my 450/400 double for everything, mind you it is now fitted with a Trijicon RMR. First outing with it there were no plains game opportunities other than a bush pig which I got on the fly. But I clean missed two buffalo, a bit far off, which convinced me to get the sight put on. Hence my interest!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellieWei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!