Dave Hawkins

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
Hello everyone
Just stumbled across this forum and decided to join to see "what's out there". I'm a U.S. citizen currently living in Africa and recently decided to avail myself of the opportunity to go on my life long dream of a hunting safari. Just returned from a plains game hunt in Namibia and, of course, fell in love with hunting for the first time. I really enjoy the tracking and stalking aspect of the sport and it appeals to me that you are giving the animal a sporting opportunity to defeat you. That is truly the thrill that I experienced for the first time in my life hunting big mammals. Shooting deer from a blind over bait is not as sporting or as challenging in my (humble) opinion and for that reason have been primarily a bird hunter in North America. Hence my renewed interest in rifles instead of shotguns, although I readily recognized that Africa is clearly a bird hunter's paradise as well. Currently my hunting rifle (singular) consists of a Sako 7mm mag. While good for most plains game, I'm looking for a mostly plains game rifle for my next African hunt with a little more punch. However, I will likely expand my next hunt to include buffalo. I've narrowed my search to the .375 H&H accordingly but not sure which make to consider. I'm looking for function first although aesthetics are not to be disregarded. I'm looking for the most bang for the buck, pun intended. Any suggestions from the forum would be appreciated.

Hawk

Welcome to AH, Hawk. 375 is plenty for buff and other plains game.

gday dave ,welcome to AH, enjoy the site
love to hear all about your Namibian adventure , with lots of photos ,ofcourse

Welcome to AH. Cant go wrong with the new Winchester in 375H&H, if you can find a Pre 64 in 375H&H you would have a real classic rifle and calibre to take on anything Africa has to offer.

Welcome to AH! I'm an unashamed M70 fan. The current M70 Safari Express comes out of the box ready to go. Mine hasn't seen a gunsmith and hopefully never will. Hand loads are as accurate in this rifle as any I own, you can't go wrong.

Welcome to AH!

Dave, Been there, feel your "pain" LOL
My suggestion is to get another SAKO like your 7 Mag, but in a 375 H&H, Trigger, stock, safety are all the same, so when the adrenaline is pumping, you're not fiddling with a different safety or set up. If you are happy with your 7 mag and familiar with it, get the same model in a 375, then get a 223/22-250 and you're set!!!

Best of luck!

Welcome!!!

The 375 H&H os a great choice and you can't go wrong with a Winchester Model 70. Take a look at the CZ 550 too. It will likely need some fine tuning, but is a great rifle regardless.

Welcome to AH.
Stalking is certainly the challenge that gets everyone hooked.

Do share the tales of your first hunt with those pictures bluey requested earlier.

Good suggestions so far.
I happened to grab a 375H&H in CZ550 Magnum.
Thus far, I think it is a good basic rifle and works well.
I am taking it to Africa this trip and we'll see how I perform with it.

Welcome to our great community Hawk!

375H&H CZ550 is my choice.

Welcome to the forums, I'm a big fan of the model 70's in 375. You can usually pick up a lightly used one for a good price.

Welcome sir. My I envy the fact that you are working over there. Hope you can take some weekends maybe to get in a little hunting

Welcome to AH, Hawk, another Sako will be just fine. Or a CZ.

Welcome Dave and like every body is saying you cant go wrong with a 375 H&H. Its been talking down big :A Shit: since 1912 and is the cal most others are compared to :D Barman:

Welcome to AH Hawk! There are many really good 375 H&H rifles out there take a look at Reminton as well as the CZ 550. And welcome to the club of the addicted.

Welcome to AH, Hawk!

You can't go wrong with any of the above choices,,You may even give a Whitworth/Zastava 375 a look I enjoy mine and while it doesn't have the Mag Capacity of a CZ it's also a few pounds lighter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg