Website
www.youtube.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Texas, Arkansas, Alaska
Hello from Alaska. My name is Luke. I've enjoyed the forums here for a while so I thought I should sign up and start participating more.

Alaska is pretty different from Africa or even Texas where I used to live. I laughed the other day when teenagers at church said it was "hot" in the summer when it was 60 degrees (F). They don't consider it "cold" till its below zero.

I'm currently modifying a 375 Ruger to be a bit lighter. It will continue to be my all around hunting rifle. I'm also setting up a 358 Winchester to be a lighter "guiding " rifle. I'm not technically a guide (Alaska version of a PH) but I help a lot of kids hunt at work. So a 6 pound rifle for backing them up is the plan.

Last edited:
Giday Luke, welcome to the A H forums.

received_518083875722376.jpeg

Yay I can post pictures! These are my two toys.

Welcome to a really interesting forum. Good for you that you help new hunters get started! I would enjoy reading a report about a hunt you have done in Alaska—especially if it involves bears! Again welcome.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard Alaska Luke. As a Hunter Education Instructor I'd like to hear more about your hunting with kids. Is it an official program or just something you do? What type of action does the 358 Winchester have? I own a Lever Action Winchester Mod. 71 that I understand was / is used as a backup in Alaska. Mine was built in 1936 and still going strong.

Welcome! I hope to visit your great state one day.

Welcome! Interested to hear about your modifications on the 375 Ruger. I have a Ruger Alaskan, stainless, laminated stock and 23 inch barrel. Given the amount of recoil, I like the current weight and wouldn't lighten it up any.

Luke, welcome to the AH forum and thanks for taking kids hunting!

Welcome glad to have ya. Loved hunting Alaska. Enjoy

:S Welcome:

Welcome to AH

Shootist43 thanks. I do official and unofficial work. For my job I'm helping a group of kids do their Hunter Education program and I'll organize hunting trips with other adult mentors. I also have two boys who sort of adopted me and call me "uncle " I take them hunting outside of work. The 358 Winchester is a Ruger American bolt action. The ballistics are similar to a 348 but totally different gun. By the way 348s were once popular up here.

Welcome to AH Luke! Nice to join us on the posting side.

Welcome to AH.

Nice bear.

Welcome to AH Alaska Luke! I'm based in Anchorage now, but have been up here for 20 years now.
Enjoy the information and great people on here.

Welcome to AH

Hello from Alaska. My name is Luke. I've enjoyed the forums here for a while so I thought I should sign up and start participating more.

Alaska is pretty different from Africa or even Texas where I used to live. I laughed the other day when teenagers at church said it was "hot" in the summer when it was 60 degrees (F). They don't consider it "cold" till its below zero.

I'm currently modifying a 375 Ruger to be a bit lighter. It will continue to be my all around hunting rifle. I'm also setting up a 358 Winchester to be a lighter "guiding " rifle. I'm not technically a guide (Alaska version of a PH) but I help a lot of kids hunt at work. So a 6 pound rifle for backing them up is the plan.

Hello Alaska Luke,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.
And, I welcome you to Alaska.

I watched your video of trekking for 11 days, carrying and river voyaging with pack rafts.
The part when you guys were walking along the river bank and bumped into a mob of wolves then evidently startled, they bolted only a short distance into the bush, before yapping and howling.....is very cool.

Best regards,
Paul.

Thanks Paul. I'd completely forgotten about that video haha.

It didn't show it the video but when Ben pointed there were a couple half grown wolf pups. They ran sideways into the brush. The first howling was probably the mother calling the pups home. The second time you could hear more adults. We are reasonably sure we were close to their den. That would explain why they were so agitated and why they didn't just leave. I saw a National Geographic video were a Yellowstone bear approached a wolf den. The adult wolves harrassed the bear until it left. Yellowstone by the way is a phenomenal place to see wildlife. If someone from outside the US wants to see all the big game up close its probably the best single spot.

It would be interesting to compare wolves to hyenas and wild dogs in Africa. Do they pack up and hunt big game on their own or do they do a lot of scavenging off lion kills?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,