Greetings and many questions

gearhound

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been lurking around the forum for a bit and thought it was time to ask some questions. I recently read Steve Robinsons book "How To Become a Professional Hunter in Africa" and a number of other African hunting books (Chapstick's and VanBuskirk) and was wondering how plausible is it for one to come from a foreign land and work as a PH or Game Warden in Africa somewhere? I'm aware that to do that type of work in South Africa you must be a resident but are other countries more accepting of foreigners to those positions? How does one go about applying for an apprenticeship?

A little about me is I have been hunting for over 15 years, only in the U.S. (Elk, Deer, Coyotes etc.). I'm very soon completing a bachelor's degree in wildlife biology.

Any Info/tips/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome to AH! Steve R. is member of AH. He can answer more of your questions. I think its a hard road. I would the SCI or DSC conventions and ask around for a job opportunity.

Welcome to AH gearhound!

Welcome aboard gearhound. enysse's information is as good or better than anything I can say. If you have read Steve's book you know more about it than me already. Steve or one of the other ph's here should be able to help. Good Luck in your future.

Welcome to AH.
There are a host of threads on this topic on AH.

There are countries where you can go to work. Getting an outfitter to take you on will be the biggest chore you encounter.

One of our members jumped in and is now working in the field (jungle really). He is working for CAWA.
He has an amazing story of persistence.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Welcome to Ah, and good luck with your goal !

Welcome to AH.
There are a host of threads on this topic on AH.

There are countries where you can go to work. Getting an outfitter to take you on will be the biggest chore you encounter.

One of our members jumped in an is now working in the field (jungle really). He is working for CAWA.
He has an amazing story of persistence.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum, as BRICK said, if you can find a Outfitter to take you on then you are one step ahead of me. I am not trying to discourage you, but, afraid it is not an easy thing to do. More work/time than what "I" personally could pursue. I do however wish you the best of luck.

Hi all, I have been lurking around the forum for a bit and thought it was time to ask some questions. I recently read Steve Robinsons book "How To Become a Professional Hunter in Africa" and a number of other African hunting books (Chapstick's and VanBuskirk) and was wondering how plausible is it for one to come from a foreign land and work as a PH or Game Warden in Africa somewhere? I'm aware that to do that type of work in South Africa you must be a resident but are other countries more accepting of foreigners to those positions? How does one go about applying for an apprenticeship?

A little about me is I have been hunting for over 15 years, only in the U.S. (Elk, Deer, Coyotes etc.). I'm very soon completing a bachelor's degree in wildlife biology.

Any Info/tips/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome to AH gearhound! Funny you should ask about becoming a PH as this subject was brought up just before I left for South Africa in May and as it turned out when I got to Huntershill Safaris the Man who gives the course for PH's was at HHS giving a course to new and up coming PH's so I ask the question to the Man himself, and he said that a lot of Americans come there to become PH's that you can do it as a resident or on a Work Visa and thats straight from the mans mouth.

Welcome to the AH gearhound

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg