Greenpeace activist gets arm bitten off after hugging a white shark

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
An environmental activist was almost killed Yesterday in the Indian Ocean, after the great white shark he was trying to hug suddenly attacked him and bit his arm off.

21-year old Darrell Waterford, from Eugene in Oregon, was participating in a promotional video for Greenpeace, some 100 nautical miles away from the Australian city of Perth.

Along with four other members of the organization, Mr. Waterford decided to dive with some great white sharks in order to improve the marine predator’s public image and raise awareness about shark hunting.

The group shot some incredible footage during the first 30 minutes, as they swam with a group of sharks caressing and even hugging the large animals.

Unfortunately for the young American, one of the sharks suddenly became aggressive after being hugged and suddenly attacked him.

It attacked Mr. Waterford and tore off his right arm right below the elbow. The young man lost a large amount of blood, but was able to get out of the water and was rapidly taken to the hospital.

Huei Li Chong, the leader of the expedition, described the violent attack in an interview with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

“The shark seemed really friendly at first, but then it went totally berserk. It charged Darrell and bit off his hand in an instant, so we all hurried out of the water before it killed us.”

According to him, the shark might have turned aggressive after smelling blood in the water.

“Sharks can be affectionate an cuddly when they’re calm, but the smell of blood activates their predator instincts. It’s not their fault, and we shouldn’t hold them responsible.”

Greenpeace has been campaigning for years against shark finning, which consists of the removal of fins from sharks, often while the shark is alive.

Despite the organization’s efforts, finning has increased dramatically since 1997 largely due to the increasing demand for shark fins for shark fin soup and traditional cures.

Greenpeace has been trying for years to improve the white shark’s image in order to obtain an international ban, similar to the international treaty that applies to commercial whaling.

Several members of the organization now fear that this incident will compromise their campaign to restore the white shark’s image as a peaceful marine creature.

Source: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/greenpeace-activist-gets-arm-bitten-off-after-hugging-a-white-shark/

Before you lose it read post #23

Last edited by a moderator:
UMMM.... OK. What part of one of the most prolific hunters and deadliest predators in the world did you not understand before trying to hug it!:E Head Scratch::E Head Scratch:

Anyways hope the young man recovers

“The shark seemed really friendly at first . . . . .“Sharks can be affectionate an cuddly”

You just can't fix stupid. He's lucky to be alive.

Last edited:
What a stupid person. I love the quote from one of the organizers......”the shark seemed really friendly”.

Terrible injury but that is sort of natural selection at work

The sad part is they do not realize the damage they do by the stupid stunts. So many people could get hurt by watching a video like they wanted to make thinking it was ok to play with sharks.

Stupid people who think they can make all animals play nice with people.

One can only guess what Forrest Gump's mama would say about hugging a 2,000 pound predator that, has several rows of sharp teeth and only catrelege for it's skeleton.

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 11.16.57 AM.png

Alligator Attack
Citation https://www.snopes.com/greenpeace-activist-get-arm-bitten-off-hugging-white-shark/

Ooops.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 11.18.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 11.18.02 AM.png
    865.4 KB · Views: 364
Last edited:
That was an extraordinarily unwise decision. I'm sorry the kid suffered such a horrific and permanent injury.

How can somebody be so stupid...oh yes, I remember about the guy who tried to live with bears, and got eaten.

Hate to throw water on the parade, but from what I gather this was a fake report. The person pictured above in @BRICKBURN's photo with part of his right arm missing, lost it to an alligator and not a shark.

While I wouldn't put it past many people to want to go hug apex predator's in an effort to make them seem like such nice predators, this story doesn't hold water.

Hate to throw water on the parade, but from what I gather this was a fake report. The person pictured above in @BRICKBURN's photo with part of his right arm missing, lost it to an alligator and not a shark.

While I wouldn't put it past many people to want to go hug apex predator's in an effort to make them seem like such nice predators, this story doesn't hold water.

but it was on the internet..... :A Shades:

The dude in the photo looks like the "Karate Kid"

Yea whatever. Greenpeace will slow down the meddling, alligator or shark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg