Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, Poland, Canada, Mexico, Argentina
In October of 2022, my friend Todd and I went to Greenland to hunt caribou (they call them reindeer). We were supposed to have done a DIY Alaska Caribou hunt in September, but Units 23 and 26A were closed down for this year and next, so I started looking for an alternative. I found Erik with Trophy Hunting Greenland on bookyourhunt.com and got it set up. We traveled from DFW to JFK and on to Copenhagen, Denmark on Delta. Had some drama with our flight out of JFK, so we ended up getting into Denmark more than half a day late. Fortunately, we had built some flexibility into our travel plans. Even so, we still had to rush to clear customs with our guns and make our connection to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland on Air Greenland. We had no problems with customs in Denmark. There was no special paperwork or permits needed ahead of time for the guns. We declared them at customs, and they gave us a temporary permit. Upon arrival in Greenland, we were met by Erik our outfitter and after collecting all our gear, we headed out to camp. We camped on the bank of a lake in a wood shack that had a kerosene heater with bunks, so it was not too bad. We were fortunate enough to have good weather for our hunt with clear skies and temperatures in the high teens and low 20s with light winds. There was about 6 to 8 inches of snow already on the ground, and that made for some fairly tough walking. There were three other hunters in camp, two brothers from Indiana, and a guy from Germany. On day one, we set out in the morning from camp in boats to the far end of the lake to access the hunting area. Here we started hiking, and I must admit, this was a much more physically demanding hunt than I thought it would be. I had envisioned setting up on some high ground and glassing until we spotted a herd we could move on. In reality, we pretty much walked through the snow all day over some fairly rough ground. I was lucky enough to get my caribou the first day, and Todd got his the second day. We both had about a 300 yard shot. I used a .300 Win Mag with 180 grain Hornady SST, and Todd used his .300 WSM. The two brothers hunted for muskox and the German guy hunted caribou. Everyone was successful.

After we were done hunting, we spent a day hiking over to the ice cap and viewing the glaciers which was very impressive. We were also treated to seeing the Northern Lights, which was a first for Todd and I. All in all, it was a challenging but rewarding experience. Our trophies will be shipped to Denmark in June after the spring thaw. Once in Denmark, we have the option to do dip and pack or full taxidermy work. We are leaning towards having the taxidermy work done in Denmark as the dollar to Euro is favorable, but we will see about that come June.

A couple of lessons learned for me were 1. avoid JFK if possible, it's almost like not even being in the US. and 2. I didn't allow enough time between our flights to clear customs at JFK on our return, so we missed our connection and had to spend the night. If I wouldn't have had my gun, we would have made it, but we just didn't have enough time because of the ridiculous rules they have in JFK. In any event, we had a great trip and made some great memories.

312179765_10159997546791147_2349717591553200830_n.jpg
312163491_10159997544481147_3609362495309791597_n.jpg
312080289_10159997548941147_8782641801543488521_n.jpg
311815961_10159997549581147_8912438980885373698_n.jpg
312126735_10159997549891147_4849082469465842749_n.jpg
312075950_10159997550006147_8476131916652774449_n.jpg
311971361_10159997281406147_4651157524430388519_n.jpg
312021765_10159997281821147_6386515682109393230_n.jpg
312059341_10159997280356147_5342247111716446613_n.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! A grand experience for certain. (Also, I completely agree with you about JFK. LaGuardia is worse if that’s possible)

Congratulations on the nice trophies! The pics of the northern lights is very cool too.

I’ve seen this done on tv afew times and I think it would be amazing. Congratulations on your success and thanks for sharing/adding fuel to the fire!

Looks like a great hunt you had there & thank you for the report .

I hope you got a quote on the transport & taxidermist costs as the Danish Taxidermists are great Robbers ?

I have been reamed by them myself !!

I hope you got a quote on the transport & taxidermist costs as the Danish Taxidermists are great Robbers ?

Well we do have pretty detailed pricing from them, but we have not put it in writing yet.

Congrats on your adventure and very good trophies !

Congratulations on your hunt. Great pics

Quite an adventure, thanks for sharing.

Is there an option to hunt both a caribou and a muskox?

Quite an adventure, thanks for sharing.

Is there an option to hunt both a caribou and a muskox?
Yes, absolutely. The two brothers from Indiana did that. They were focused on Muskox, but also took caribou.

Fantastic trophies well earned. Congratulations!
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

Second that ! Some years ago a Danish friend took a Sika stag here. After comparing prices he opted for a shoulder mount here.
then he was going to get some Trophy shippers to collect it. When I heard the charges I opted to post it to him for about 15% of their quote. It cost €60 to post.
Did anyone ever hear of Labrador freight in Dk ? :unsure:

Looks like you had a great adventure. Congrats on some good looking reindeer. How long did you have to clear customs? Just in case one of us finds ourselves in that position at some time.....
Bruce

We had about 1:45, and would have made it, but JFK requires the Port Authority police to come and inspect the firearm after it is cleared customs and then take it to TSA for check in. That's the part that killed us, waiting for Port Authority to show up.

Great adventure and fantastic photos. The lights are quite difficult to get good pics of, well done!

Looks like you had a great adventure. Congrats on some good looking reindeer. How long did you have to clear customs? Just in case one of us finds ourselves in that position at some time.....
Bruce
We had about 1:45, and would have made it, but JFK requires the Port Authority police to come and inspect the firearm after it is cleared customs and then take it to TSA for check in. That's the part that killed us, waiting for Port Authority to show up.

@Cecil Hammonds a few more questions, if you don't mind.

Was wondering why you flew to Denmark and then onto Greenland. Most hunt reports for Greenland that I've read had the hunters transiting through Iceland.

I Googled Kangerlussuaq, Greenland and see it's on the west coast. The airport was originally Sonderstrom Air Force Base, originally built during WWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondrestrom_Air_Base

From the airport, how far did you travel to get to the hunting camp?

Did you overnight at a hotel while in Greenland?

@Cecil Hammonds a few more questions, if you don't mind.

Was wondering why you flew to Denmark and then onto Greenland. Most hunt reports for Greenland that I've read had the hunters transiting through Iceland.

I Googled Kangerlussuaq, Greenland and see it's on the west coast. The airport was originally Sonderstrom Air Force Base, originally built during WWII. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sondrestrom_Air_Base

From the airport, how far did you travel to get to the hunting camp?

Did you overnight at a hotel while in Greenland?
All great questions. First, going through Kangerlussuaq is the most reliable way to get to where we hunted, and it is also the main airport in Greenland. Other hunting outfitters where people go through Iceland is further up to the north. You are absolutely right about it being a former US air base. It is now a town of about 500 people. Our outfitter also has a hostel in town that we had access to after the hunt. Before the hunt, we had a meal there then went right out to camp which was not that far, maybe 2 hours. The town is basically the airport, but it does have a few very basic amenities. While we hunted in Greenland, the ladies stayed in Denmark and did some touring. Afterwards, we all met back up for the trip back home.

All great questions. First, going through Kangerlussuaq is the most reliable way to get to where we hunted, and it is also the main airport in Greenland. Other hunting outfitters where people go through Iceland is further up to the north. You are absolutely right about it being a former US air base. It is now a town of about 500 people. Our outfitter also has a hostel in town that we had access to after the hunt. Before the hunt, we had a meal there then went right out to camp which was not that far, maybe 2 hours. The town is basically the airport, but it does have a few very basic amenities. While we hunted in Greenland, the ladies stayed in Denmark and did some touring. Afterwards, we all met back up for the trip back home.
One thing I didn't really appreciate until we went on the hunt, is that Greenland is a territory of Denmark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!