Greener (Martini) action build suggestions

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
I just picked up a Greener (Martini) action on an auction purchase. Its being sent to my gunsmith for a safety inspection. The seller assures me its safe. Once I get the OK, I'm wondering what to build. I already have a Martini in 45-70 and a Gahendra in .577-450. I'm not ruling out using either of those cartridges again; but I'm open to suggestions.

My plan is to build something that looks traditional for hunting medium to large (larger game). I do like the looks of big cartridges; but I do NOT want to stress the action with too much pressure by forcing a bigger cartridge than the gun can handle. The "easy button" is 45-70 since its currently available production cartridge in period loadings. I'm open to something like 45-90 or even 450BPE, if that's possible

I'm even tempted to build a 12ga "rifle" and maybe even try to load brass shells, although I'm not sure how to do that with a single ball or conical bullet???

Suggestions...

I like your idea of a 12 bore rifle.
Might be difficult to get a barrel with "Paradox" type rifling.
But that would be my suggestion.
Leaf sight/s that fold down flat and scant front sight base with generous white bead for use with rear sight blade and bullet.
The bead would then also be for use with rear blade/s all folded down flat when fowling with birdshot.

Hmmm? I had completely forgotten about a Paradox... I do agree that finding a barrel might be the issue. Years ago I played around trying to load brass shotgun shells with an exposed ball (just peeking out) as a poor mans big bore.

Hmmm? I had completely forgotten about a Paradox... I do agree that finding a barrel might be the issue. Years ago I played around trying to load brass shotgun shells with an exposed ball (just peeking out) as a poor mans big bore.
Pacnor do a rifled 12 bore barrel , we build quite a few of these in australia , another option is 500/450 2 and 3/8".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.