Great white shark attack- Australia

Interesting , I thought those bloody evil man eating White Pointers were mostly in colder waters. For Australia at least.
I really don’t like sharks, somehow growing up on land I have always found them the thing that make me cringe most. Yet I have a fascination for DG.
I learned to dive on the Great Barrier Reef with the family, Not a fan of salt water 1-Sharks,2-poor swimmer, 3-Not enjoying it but I might try the Blue freshwater lakes at Mt Gambier before I hang up my fins.

There can only be 2 causes for the change in Shark behaviour, Global warming or Carol F@#k*+g Baskin!

Either way why don’t we take action on this. People lives matter, removing or destroying the odd shark should not affect the biodiversity , particularly if they are encroaching in areas they dont normally live.

For some reason the ocean current is dragging cooler waters up into areas that they normally don’t reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the scare of my life while swimming in the Arabian Sea and seeing a fin breaking surface.

Must have beat a swimming record back to the beach :eek:

That’s how oz swimmers are trained

There is also a record number of people using the water, it gets more and more each year.
When I used to spear fish it was a constant fight to keep the sharks away from your stringer, and getting buzzed was an every day thing,
Certain pastimes have more risky than others, I have learnt to appreciate sharks for what they are and don't swim at dangerous times or places.

They can make mistakes and try not to let yourself be that mistake.

Nothing to do, so I thought I'd put these in just to tighten the ol' sphincter!! Who hasn't now got the Jaws theme music running through their heads?

20200715_235953.jpg

20200716_000239.jpg

20200716_000944.jpg

Another shark attack today
A great white shark grabbed a ten year old boy and
Wait for it

Pulled him out of a boat where he and his father were cleaning fish.

The shark apparently let go when the boy hit the water,
The father jumped in to save his son and fortunately the shark swam away.
According to the father it was a big shark and it is assumed that it was in a feeding mode near a seal colony.
That’s something to tell the boy’s great grand children one day.

What are you guys in Oz using for sun tan lotion, seal fat or something?!?!:A Outta:

Hope he's ok though.

Must be!
7 shark attacks in a couple of weeks!
Yikes
Boy is fine as far as I know

Another shark attack today
Western Australian waters - great white territory
Between 4-5 m (12-15 ft)
Omg what is going on ??
Fortunately not fatal

Ahh, I hate them. Sorry for the people who go at bitten. Maybe it’s times to take action on sharks.

Seriously guys!! If going into the sea use Ambre Solaire or Coppertone... NOT Holsom 100% Pork lard

The whites have always traveled up and down the coast, usually following the food supply (like whales).

A few resident sharks remain in the Southern states to gobble up the local seals and porpoises, but in general they travel with the food supply.

THe Great Aussie Shark Hunter 'Vic Hislop' was telling the Australian Fisheries of the Great Whites going North to the Barrier Reef during the Humpback Whale calfing season for years.

The Fisheries didn't like Vic hunting recognized man-eaters, therefore they made the Whites protected. Their reasoning was that their surveys detected low numbers of whites in Victoria, therefore they are becoming extinct.

Years later the Fisheries department started a tagging program and low and behold, Vic was right, the whites do travel up north with their food supply, but as you may guess, the Scientists get the glory.

As for the attacks, well, my reasoning is that there are more people using the water for activities, as our population is expanding, and the new breed of people, do not understand wildlife , nor their habits.

On Fraser Island at Indian Head, I regularly saw sharks beaching themselves attempting to get the schools of mullet which threw themselves out onto the sand. All I had to do was tap my feet at the water edge, and whaler sharks to 7 feet, would stupidly think I was a mullet and beach themselves trying to get my toes. Unlike Killer whales, the sharks had a harder time trying to turn around and flip themselves back into the water, as they have a different shape tail fin than killer whales.

Another topic which I am totally against is of those who attract sharks by chumming for the tourists who in turn drop into a cage to view the shark. My theory is that predators remember that humans provide free food, hence, if the shark is a migratory species, well, that would be the reason why some poor person gets pulled overboard.

I recall a friend whom was fishing with bait for King George Whiting, he was using Pippis (tiny clams) for bait, and had no berley at all. he was having little success, therefore he decided to rinse hi hands over the stern, and a 10 foot shark raised his head out of the water as it lunged at him, it scared him silly, and luckily he didn't get bitten.

Years ago, another friend whom used to exercise her horses, by taking them for a swim whilst in the saddle, at Port Phillip Bay, at Geelong had a shark grab her horses rump , and thankfully let go without taking a chunk , once again it scared the hell out of my friend as it could have taken her instead of the horse. Thankfully the vet was able to treat the wound, as it wasn't too serious.

Doctor Ray, it may also be that the sharks are heading north due to reading your great fishing reports too. Great Whites love crayfish too.

Regards
Rob

Gari was acquiring Crays in the Torres Strait waters.
Though he’d snagged his cray basket.
Oh no.a tiger shark had grabbed it. When he surfaced the shark kept coming at him.
He had his hand on its snout and was being pushed through the water.
Luckily he was rescued soon after but the shark did not go until the rescue boat pulled up,
Yikes!

Gari was acquiring Crays in the Torres Strait waters.
Though he’d snagged his cray basket.
Oh no.a tiger shark had grabbed it. When he surfaced the shark kept coming at him.
He had his hand on its snout and was being pushed through the water.
Luckily he was rescued soon after but the shark did not go until the rescue boat pulled up,
Yikes!

That is what I call scary as hell ! Thank god he survived.

I have fished up north and feel terribly uncomfortable when a tiger shark decides to just sit in the current behind the anchored bait, it feels so sinister.

This particular tiger would eat every 'Tricky Snapper', that I hooked on fishing line, but when I put out a decent hook, and a wire trace, the cunning mongrel would detect the wire, and not touch the bait, which was a whole live Tricky Snapper. But as soon as I removed the trace, the shark took the bait, and cut me off. The Black-tip sharks, unlike the tiger sharks, were not fussy with wire traces.

Tight Lines
Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg