Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
It’s our second fatal shark attack just lately.
Yesterday 4 July in the waters off Fraser Island a spear fisherman (in 20s) was attacked presumably by a great white shark.
This is a known “dangerous” area.
I think these attacks are due to overfishing somehow.
We seem to be having more and more shark attacks in the last few years.
At least I’m fairly safe as I don’t go spear fishing or scuba diving and in any case I’d make my good swimmer wife go in front!

Dang that's crazy. Something must have changed recently to account for the spike in attacks. Would be nice to have an experienced swimmer test the waters before I got in lol

Yes I’m a professional horror with a wicked sense of humor.
On Foxtel I recorded air crash investigations and in the recording up popped an ad for
What the shark

Hmm.
Friend of mine’s friend just got billed in a chopper crash at Broome (Western Australia).
Not a good week in oz.

I meant killed - yikes another fatal flight

And another shark attack (fatal)
5 since beginning of year

Interesting , I thought those bloody evil man eating White Pointers were mostly in colder waters. For Australia at least.
I really don’t like sharks, somehow growing up on land I have always found them the thing that make me cringe most. Yet I have a fascination for DG.
I learned to dive on the Great Barrier Reef with the family, Not a fan of salt water 1-Sharks,2-poor swimmer, 3-Not enjoying it but I might try the Blue freshwater lakes at Mt Gambier before I hang up my fins.

There can only be 2 causes for the change in Shark behaviour, Global warming or Carol F@#k*+g Baskin!

Either way why don’t we take action on this. People lives matter, removing or destroying the odd shark should not affect the biodiversity , particularly if they are encroaching in areas they dont normally live.

And another shark attack near cairns. Fortunately non fatal.
Yikes what goes on??

Most of the Great Whites have left the area around Robben Island and False Bay. They aren't sure why but most experts think it is due to the influx of Killer Whales in the area... seems like they all emigrated to Oz...

Most of the Great Whites have left the area around Robben Island and False Bay. They aren't sure why but most experts think it is due to the influx of Killer Whales in the area... seems like they all emigrated to Oz...

The GW`s have been satellite tracked crossing from Australia to SA and returning every year

It is still a minuscule statistic; we share the water with them and you have more chance of getting Corona-virus and dying than being bitten by a shark.

My name on here is as a result of spending a lot of time diving with a trying to understand sharks.
And I am just over 14 days from being tested positive for Coronavirus.

And another shark attack near cairns. Fortunately non fatal.
Yikes what goes on??
Not enough apparently!
We need more shark nets!
Statistics won’t console grieving families. Or people that are plain shit scared of them.
We were diving at Edithburgh a few years back. We got on the road and we’re looking for updates on Road closures due to some bushfires in SA as we tried to make NSW.
As we left we saw police and ambulance heading full steam toward where we departed.
An hour later a friend from home rings and asks if we are OK? Sure why? There was a shark attack at Edithburgh! Yeah right, we are looking for a route home then we realised the ambulance etc were for a reason. We hoped they were not our club but it turns out it was a spear fisherman around the corner. He was a fatality I’m not sure if much of anything was recovered.
1, Bad news travels fast
2, Sharks kill people
3, Statistically spear fishers may be at more risk, I don’t eat fish anyway. Seems it’s not worth the risk.

I’m fine in the bush and on land. Statistically planes are safe and I’m Ok with flying. I’ve seen firsthand too many people in tragic events, makes me seem pretty lucky, and cautious about the things that scare me.

It is a very small statistic but like with anything in life, bloody attacks on humans draw attention. If people actually knew what was around them when in the surf then some would never go back in... Killing off sharks in the area after an attack almost never helps unless one is 10000% sure it is the same individual.

Interesting , I thought those bloody evil man eating White Pointers were mostly in colder waters. For Australia at least.
I really don’t like sharks, somehow growing up on land I have always found them the thing that make me cringe most. Yet I have a fascination for DG.
I learned to dive on the Great Barrier Reef with the family, Not a fan of salt water 1-Sharks,2-poor swimmer, 3-Not enjoying it but I might try the Blue freshwater lakes at Mt Gambier before I hang up my fins.

There can only be 2 causes for the change in Shark behaviour, Global warming or Carol F@#k*+g Baskin!

Either way why don’t we take action on this. People lives matter, removing or destroying the odd shark should not affect the biodiversity , particularly if they are encroaching in areas they dont normally live.
GWs can be found in almost any waters between the latitudes of below South Africa to the Mediterranean Sea (a sub-species of GW). Indeed some of the largest GWs caught were off the NE coast of Taiwan. One caught in 2012 was 6m (19-20') long and weighed 1750kg.

Maybe it's "the alarming sea level rise":whistle:... rising levels pick up more detritous which feeds smaller fish who are in turn predated upon by larger fish. These larger fish bring in fishermen and sharks alike. So we probably should blame global warming.:rolleyes:

Maybe it's "the alarming sea level rise":whistle:... rising levels pick up more detritous which feeds smaller fish who are in turn predated upon by larger fish. These larger fish bring in fishermen and sharks alike. So we probably should blame global warming.:rolleyes:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I know everything has its place in the Lord’s heavenly design but sharks just make people, me especially, mad about their presence! I just got back from the SC shore and one day my brother in law ran up and down the beach warning people of two three foot sharks swimming parallel to shore.
Small sharks yes but thirty feet off shore even had the lifeguard yelling for people to get out of the water!

Got the scare of my life while swimming in the Arabian Sea and seeing a fin breaking surface.

Must have beat a swimming record back to the beach :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois