Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Hungary, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I was sitting in the bar/ trophy room reliving several hunts over a dram or two of 15-year 0ld something or another, and realized two of my prized trophies on the wall were photographs. I suspect other members of our clan have similar treasures.

The first was taken in 2012 while hunting in Namibia with Jamy Traut's outfit. We had successfully taken my best buffalo - a huge old 42" solitary bull, and had moved on to a conservancy in the tribal areas. Black Rhino had been introduced, and my tracker and young PH stumbled upon the fresh sign of one while trying to sort out a kudu. We carefully followed what proved to be a bull black rhino and were able to work within about thirty-forty meters of him. The thorn brush was incredibly thick, and I have never been around such a switched-on animal. Nevertheless, I was able to get a couple of photos, before we eased away from the clearly nervous beast.

The second "shot" was taken in 2014 in the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique where my son and I spent a couple of weeks hunting buffalo and plains game with Grant Taylor's Mashambanzou Safaris. My PH, Boet van Aarde, and I had been drifting along one of the tracks which wind through the coastal forest looking for whatever we might find. The area is alive with duiker, nyala, and sable. As we eased around a corner (on foot - not in a vehicle), we came face-to-face with a lion and lioness not sixty meters away. As Boet covered them, he tightly whispered that they looked fresh off a kill, and I could probably take a picture or two before we backed out. I shot this trophy with a tiny pocket camera. They were very close - and not a fence within five-hundred miles. I likely will never hunt a wild lion with a rifle, but I still took a magnificent one in 2014.

Shutterfly does a wonderful job turning these photos into framed canvas print "trophies" that are every bit as meaningful as an actual buffalo or sable.

@Red Leg : Cool idea for a new thread. Many of my best "shots" have been on photos safaris, where I've seen more animals and more diversity of animals as compared to any hunt. Your photos of the black rhino reminds me of a close encounter I had with one while hunting with John Sharp in the BVC in Zim. I did not have time to get the camera out. We were in John's truck when the black rhino appeared to our left (I'm riding shotgun, so my side of the truck is nearest the rhino), about 40 yards off the road. The rhino was huge, like the size of a Chevy Suburban, and had a real attitude. John decided we needed to put a bit more distance between us and Mr. black Rhino, so off we went.

I will sort through my photo files and post a few favorite photo "Shots."

Great idea....

I hope to take my two animals I am after within in 3 or 4 days in July, then spend a day in a national park a couple of hours away from Pawprint's main camp just for this purpose. Time will tell!

Great thread.
This greatly reminds me of my hunt in Namibia, when we approached white rhino.
Somehow, usually I do not suffer from "buck fever", or "schuss fiber", or adrenalin rush before making the shot.

But when we came to about 20 meters from white rhino, adrenalin rush, I did feel.
White Rhino.JPG
More then I would feel in any hunt. It was possibly due to unexpextedness of the situation.

We have all heard the stories of ostrich's burying their heads in the sand. We have all seen animals that thought they were hidden from us.

The following photo, taken by my mother, was our family joke about the Coke's hartebeest that was trying to hide from us. In actuality, it was probably just an accident, as the photo caught the hartebeest trying to rid it's eyes of flies.

8-13-2009_192.JPG

These days with digital cameras and movie cameras where you can print photos from individual frames, photos like this are more common. In the days of Kodachrome and Ektachrome, they seemed much more "special". Unfortunately, Paul Simon was incorrect. Kodachrome doesn't always "Give you the nice bright colors" at least not after 50+ years.;)

This could be a fun thread @Red Leg . Thanks!

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 3.49.23 PM.png

In the Kalahari near Ghanzi.
As we are serpentine through the bush on a small trail I see the color of an Eland moving to the west. They were already moving out at a trot. With the size of the body I hope they are bulls.

We move up the 80 yards to where they crossed the road and we jumped on it.

As we start tracking we note at least two other tracks and it confirms there are three animals in the group. The tracks are large and confirm my guess that we have finally found a Bull Eland. The track can not be fresher than having an animal standing in it.

They are trotting and we are moving slowly along on the trail, minding the wind but moving forward at a decent stalking pace.

We walked 1.5 hours on the trail and did not catch up yet.

To show how quietly we were stalking the Eland we got within 6 feet of this sleeping Aardwolf. I took this picture with my iPhone. We were so quiet we left him sleeping and moved on. Awesome.

My son pictured with me after the hunt in the top picture which was taken in RSA near the Oliphants River. Then we encountered the cat in the bottom picture who kept looking at us like we were lunch.

5571D6D7-F169-4685-A67D-0B12FDE5CAF4.jpeg
5AA05E9D-A258-4816-8388-522362C9DCFA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My first close encounter with a wild African elephant in Zimbabwe on my cape buffalo hunt. Needless to say I was very impressed.

P1000273.JPG

Some exceptional trophies shown here. Thanks for the thread and the posts

MT Griz, thats a beaut of a bull!!!

Keep it coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!