Govt puts Zimparks up for sale

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source: https://www.newzimbabwe.com/govt-puts-zimparks-up-for-sale/

Govt puts Zimparks up for sale

GOVERNMENT’s push to privatise loss making parastatals has moved a notch up after putting the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority (Zimparks) up for sale.

As part of its efforts to turnaround the economy, President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s administration had indicated it was to dispose of its shareholding in most State entities most of which have been bleeding the country dry.

Finance Minister Mthuli Ncube told a breakfast meeting last week that government is now looking for a suitor for the country’s wildlife sanctuaries management authority.

“We are also looking for investors for Zimparks, we decided to sell off the equity or at least enter into some kind of joint venture arrangement. It has fabulous locations but the facilities are run down and we hope this move will increase efficiency,” Ncube said.

The authority manages one of the largest estates in the country, about 5 million hectares of land which makes up around 13% of Zimbabwe’s total land area. Most of the parks under its management are located in ecological regions four and five offering little in terms of agriculture.

Zimparks is charged with managing the country’s diverse wildlife on both private and communal lands. Private landowners can utilise the wildlife on their land but are still accountable to the authority for the welfare of the animals.

Government according to Ncube is also looking for suitors to join it in resuscitating Willowvale Motor Industries and the corruption riddled Allied Timbers.

Other State owned entities that government is reducing its ownership include the People’s Own Savings Bank (POSB) and the Infrastructure Development Bank of Zimbabwe (IDBZ) for which Ncube said deals are close.

“In Silo Foods Industries government is willing to reduce its stake to around 26%,” he said.

This is interesting in many ways. It creates much uncertainty for the wildlife sector during such a transition of Zimparks management. Seeing Zim divest from government control of industries is a great thing. Let’s hope this does not open the door to animal welfare organizations throwing their money around to shut down hunting in Zim. Keep us posted!
Philip

This is interesting in many ways. It creates much uncertainty for the wildlife sector during such a transition of Zimparks management. Seeing Zim divest from government control of industries is a great thing. Let’s hope this does not open the door to animal welfare organizations throwing their money around to shut down hunting in Zim. Keep us posted!
Philip

Or worse, Asian and Chinese influences controlling the very animals they have endangered through their traditional voo-doo medicine.

So..........,

Someone can now buy the Wildlife Authority, issue licenses and export what ever it wants in quantities it deems fit?

image.png

So..........,

Someone can now buy the Wildlife Authority, issue licenses and export what ever it wants in quantities it deems fit?

View attachment 293934

Not sure if not going from one fox to another. The new fox however may be more clever.

Unfortunately, it sounds like fast cash for treatment of symptoms of an endemic problem and not a solution for any problem. My first thought is it opens the front door for China- the back door has been open for a long time. IMO, the implications are hiding in plain sight.

All depends on the goal!

Protecting wildlife is traditionally a government's responsibility........this could be a Chink in the armor........FWB

Thanks for sharing. Bankrupt government selling off stuff is probably a recipe for disaster.

The hits just keep on comin'!:eek::eek:

Possibly but I hope not.
Or worse, Asian and Chinese influences controlling the very animals they have endangered through their traditional voo-doo medicine.

In my neck of the woods the local parks service is a statutory authority which acts as the 'land manager' in relation to the Parks. They do the enforcement, maintenance, conservation works, facilities development etc. Ownership of the lands remains with the Government. Regulations/legislation etc also remains the province of the Government.
Not sure of the role of Zimparks, whether its a similar concept or whether privatization also means selling off the land which could be a disaster for hunters.

Since we are in the bush most of the time, we get very little news. This is the first I have heard of this. Right now we have the devil we know “well”. What scares the hell out of me is the “ones” that we know just a little bit about, the ones that we are fighting on a daily basis, such as “Parks Rescue” U.K. Based!

I will meet with someone in the coming days that is in a position to know what is happening. If I hear anything I will pass it on.

So..........,

View attachment 293934
That's not quite correct.
The land that is now going to public / private partnerships is land like Hartley A and B ... Now defunct areas that have been poached out and that NP have not derived an income from in 20 years or more.
Something has to be done with the land before it becomes just more communal land settled by rural people.

Philip
did you hit the nail on the head???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you