Government allows culling of problem elephants

Everyone tap the brakes...

If I'm reading this correctly, the price of $7500 is what the government would charge the outfitter. It does not necessarily mean that is what a hunter would pay. The outfitter would mark that up potentially, charge day fees, etc.... So I wouldn't go thinking that this is the new bar for an elephant hunt. As a price comparison for a tag Zim is at $8ooo, again assuming I'm right on the Nam fee just being government.

I'm doing this out of memory, but I believe you can get "own use" elephant in Nam now for around $15k. I bet that if you could find this hunt it would end up in that range, or perhaps slightly less. Now if you were already over there and in the area perhaps you could get it for a trophy fee add on and save some cash?

From my perspective, the great news here isn't that you can get a cheap elephant hunt in Nam, but rather that the Nam government is willing to add "PAC Tags" through trophy hunting in an effort to both take care of a local issue that might otherwise result in poaching and to maximize the benefit to the government and local community. That's where the excitement should be!

P.S. I also really doubt you get to keep the ivory or hide, for those of you that this matters to. I also wonder if the elephants are bull or cow?
@Royal27 quit ruining my naive dreams!

I'm new here. How do delete a thread you post after you find the same news else where?
No worries... The time limit on editing own thread title or editing/deleting own posts by members is 30 minutes, after that time you can always reach out to me if need be.

Just curious, what can you do with the ivory? Ship it to China? and 100K? Not on my list. YMMV.

Good question regarding the ivory.
That's Namibia dollars!

So we have several ifs and maybes about the ivory. I'm sure these two are long gone and I agree with royal that after pass through the price would double, triple or whatever to the hunter. But is there a definite answer to what criteria needs to be met to get Namibian ivory home to the US?

Hard to say for sure what the markup would be on the trophy fee. I'm paying $10k for own use elephant in September. If the PAC animal is exportable, it could go for more. If it isn't exportable, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for minimal markup. No reason to pay more than an own use permit if it isn't exportable. Plus, PAC animals (in legitimate places) have to be shot in a relatively short time frame. Exportable of not, they aren't going to sit on it for 2 months waiting for someone to get there. If nobody picks up the hunt in a reasonable time frame, they are going to have a game warden or a PH shoot it and not get anything for the government in the deal, so if you are in the right place at the right time, it could be a great deal.

Everyone tap the brakes...

If I'm reading this correctly, the price of $7500 is what the government would charge the outfitter. It does not necessarily mean that is what a hunter would pay. The outfitter would mark that up potentially, charge day fees, etc.... So I wouldn't go thinking that this is the new bar for an elephant hunt. As a price comparison for a tag Zim is at $8ooo, again assuming I'm right on the Nam fee just being government.

I'm doing this out of memory, but I believe you can get "own use" elephant in Nam now for around $15k. I bet that if you could find this hunt it would end up in that range, or perhaps slightly less. Now if you were already over there and in the area perhaps you could get it for a trophy fee add on and save some cash?

From my perspective, the great news here isn't that you can get a cheap elephant hunt in Nam, but rather that the Nam government is willing to add "PAC Tags" through trophy hunting in an effort to both take care of a local issue that might otherwise result in poaching and to maximize the benefit to the government and local community. That's where the excitement should be!

P.S. I also really doubt you get to keep the ivory or hide, for those of you that this matters to. I also wonder if the elephants are bull or cow?

Been a handfull of years now, but on a Namib buff hunt a problem Ele permit came up. My day fees were paid already so all I paid was at that time about $6K for the permit and I took home the ivory and a hunk of hide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.