Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Was out recently shooting my 300 wsm built by Hill country rifles. 100 yards shooting Federal premium 180 grain Barnes tsx Ammo. These guys know their stuff.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks pretty good JB

THey are good. No doubt about it. I had them accurize my Rugers.
Philip

My brother's X-bolt from Browning shoots similar groups at 100 yds. Still nice rifle! I found my Browning A-bolt in 300 Mag shoot fairly good groups too, it just kicks hard though....

Johnny I think the operator has a little to do with that grouping!

Lol.

I've heard good things about them. Nice Johnny!

Nice people to deal with. They do know there stuff I can tell ya.

My brother's X-bolt from Browning shoots similar groups at 100 yds. Still nice rifle! I found my Browning A-bolt in 300 Mag shoot fairly good groups too, it just kicks hard though....
I had them add the dreaded muzzle break

Don't feel bad, I added a muzzle break to my 300 Win Mag too. The gas is ported forward, but it helped a lot.

Lol. I love breaks on bigger calibers. I just know a lot of members hate them.

I agree with you , I have several Browning A Bolts that I purchased many years ago and they are by far my most accurate rifles that I own .

Last edited:
Never had the Ruger worked on. Shoots well enough

How does your Ruger shoot after they worked on them? How much did it tighten the groups up?
Larry
Long story but here goes. First of all the stock Gun and Hornady ammo didn't work for me at all. I was at the SAAM shooting school and told Tim Fallon of my hard luck. Being a Ruger guy and professional shooting school owner he just smirked and said we would get it worked out. The next day he sold me a box of Safari Arms ammo the he had worked up with them for his .375 Ruger. I went from 6" groups at 50 yards to less that 1", actually they were touching. Then I get the .416 Ruger, which did not have as much accuracy problems but was not too good. First shot and the stock cracks at the tang. I showed it to Tim and we decided I could shoot it a few more time but them I'd have to be done. So couple my hard luck with the fact the Hill Country Rifles had just got in some McMillian stocks for Ruger and Tim was willing to call and get me an appointment with Matt on my way home and I decided to go for it. Remember I had two BIG safaris planned and did not want to leave anything to chance. So we decided to put the new synthetic stock on the .375 and move the wood stock to the .416 and fully accurize them: glass bedding, true rings and remount scope, put Edwards Recoil reducer in new stock, test fire etc.
It was expensive and may not be something everyone needs to do but the confidence I got from working with Tim Fallon at SAAM and Matt at Hill Country Rifles really helped me plan for these two safaris. I highly recommend them both.
Regards,
Philip

Larry
Long story but here goes. First of all the stock Gun and Hornady ammo didn't work for me at all. I was at the SAAM shooting school and told Tim Fallon of my hard luck. Being a Ruger guy and professional shooting school owner he just smirked and said we would get it worked out. The next day he sold me a box of Safari Arms ammo the he had worked up with them for his .375 Ruger. I went from 6" groups at 50 yards to less that 1", actually they were touching. Then I get the .416 Ruger, which did not have as much accuracy problems but was not too good. First shot and the stock cracks at the tang. I showed it to Tim and we decided I could shoot it a few more time but them I'd have to be done. So couple my hard luck with the fact the Hill Country Rifles had just got in some McMillian stocks for Ruger and Tim was willing to call and get me an appointment with Matt on my way home and I decided to go for it. Remember I had two BIG safaris planned and did not want to leave anything to chance. So we decided to put the new synthetic stock on the .375 and move the wood stock to the .416 and fully accurize them: glass bedding, true rings and remount scope, put Edwards Recoil reducer in new stock, test fire etc.
It was expensive and may not be something everyone needs to do but the confidence I got from working with Tim Fallon at SAAM and Matt at Hill Country Rifles really helped me plan for these two safaris. I highly recommend them both.
Regards,
Philip
Thanks Philip , I also have a couple Ruger rifles, one of them a 416, but they shoot pretty good. That is interesting though what you said.

I've got a HCR 7mm Rem Mag. As you guys said, great people that make great rifles.

Hill Country Rifles put together a nice .270 WBY for me a couple of years ago. Weatherby Mk V action, Benchmark barrel and a McMillan stock. I topped it with a Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10x40.

As 'johnnyblues' said, they do know their stuff.

image.jpg

Johnny are you going to post a picture of your rifle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you