Got to field test a .416 Ruger

I’m completely smitten with the 416 Ruger. It carries so well and packs one heck of a wallop.
I can't agree more! I think it is the best of both worlds. It can be built on a standard length action which makes it a viable choice for any quality bolt action manufacturer, It has a case capacity similar to a .416 Remington (not quite, but close enough) and it slings a bullet with a SD over 0.300 to a reasonable velocity. I haven't ever gotten up to hornadys claim of a 400 grain to 2,400fps, but I have driven a 400 grain Barnes monolithic solid to 2250-2300 which is respectable. It will sling a lead core bullet a little faster and I still am showing absolutely no pressure signs. There isn't much data available for the cartridge and I don't deviate from published data if I can help it (the 340 grain load was extrapolated and is definitely safe, but isn't published anywhere.) I really hope this cartridge sticks around because it is a great case and feeds like butter from my Hawkeye African, despite being so straight walled.

The 416 Ruger definitely isn’t going anywhere. It’ll never be as popular as it’s little brother, the 375 Ruger, but it’ll be with us for a good, long while.

The 416 Ruger definitely isn’t going anywhere. It’ll never be as popular as it’s little brother, the 375 Ruger, but it’ll be with us for a good, long while.

I agree 100% CT. I have used mine in various hunt with positive results.

It’s pretty well known that the 416 Rigby earned its reputation sending 410 grains downrange at 2,250-2,300 fps. The advertised velocity of 2,390 fps was in a 28 inch long proof barrel. Granted, cordite in the heat of Africa may have given the same (2,390 fps) from a 24-26 inch long barrel, but even today Kynoch loads the 416 Rigby to a mere 2,300 fps (410 grains, 26 inch barrel). Well, the 416 Ruger, even with a 20 inch barrel, will send 400 grains flying at an honest 2,250 fps. Yes, the pressure is higher but well within what is considered reasonable given modern powders, brass and all.

I'm also a big fan of the .416 Ruger and the Ruger Hawkeye African rifle. I used mine in Zambia on an old Cape Buffalo. It did the job.
full

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!