Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
I really struggled with this book for whatever reasons. The thing that was most interesting to me was the authors perspective on the building of Kariba dam and his experiences involved. Mostly because we are currently seeing a similar project in the selous. The authors realization that human civilization and expansion is ultimately what displaces and eliminates wildlife is profound. His understanding that wildlife would be largely moved to parks and reserves and even those only until humans want those spaces was decades ahead of itself. I didn’t love the book but it is an interesting read with lots of interesting adventures.
C18D51C9-9017-475D-9FB1-A249727A1620.jpeg

I struggled with it also, not sure if i ever finished, am currently reading Uhuru by Ruark

Months of the Sun was a difficult read by anyones standards, just finished it a while ago myself. There are lots of good reads out there, one of the best I've read lately was Kambaku by Harry Manners. Also, Fred Everetts books are really good.

I read it some time ago...makes you think

Kambaku was great book

@Firebird I hear what you say. For me it was one of the slowest reads I've had in a long time, but I absolutely loved the book. Might be my all time favorite Africa book. It seemed to me like he was talking from deep inside his soul, not just story telling.

I thought it was a tough read also. It is one of the few African books I sold and didn’t keep in my personal collection.

I bought his other two books. Which are actually both titled Footsteps of an Ivory Hunter. Difference is date of publication and that the early publication is by Ian, and the second publication (which was the first of the two I received in the mail) is edited and autographed by his daughter after his death and she doesn’t like hunting. She did a good job with the edit, didn’t add any woke or anti nonsense, but it reads more like a story. I’m in the middle of the Ian self published book now and so far it’s an easier read than Months of the Sun, but I can tell it’s Ian.

Another great read:

Wild Beasts & Their ways-Sir Samuel White Baker

He was a larger than life character.

Another recommendation for Frederick Everett- Heat, Thirst and Ivory

I really struggled with this book for whatever reasons. The thing that was most interesting to me was the authors perspective on the building of Kariba dam and his experiences involved. Mostly because we are currently seeing a similar project in the selous. The authors realization that human civilization and expansion is ultimately what displaces and eliminates wildlife is profound. His understanding that wildlife would be largely moved to parks and reserves and even those only until humans want those spaces was decades ahead of itself. I didn’t love the book but it is an interesting read with lots of interesting adventures. View attachment 503722
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. Even though it may be a little slow reading, it sounds like one I'd probably enjoy, especially since I want to know and understand Africa as much as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.