Got the CZ blues

Was there a specific caliber reference? Or simply a "safari" rifle...however that is defined? The point is that one does not need to spend $10K or buy a quality suspect CZ in order to have a rifle capable of hunting any game species in the world. Having owned a CZ 550, I completely agree that they are "diamonds in the rough". Mine was quite accurate and the substantive quality was there. I just wish that they had spent a couple of extra labor hours polishing and quality checking. They could have charged more and still dominated what was left of a declining market. Since they have ceased production, I have been tempted to buy up a few but I don't buy rifles for potential return on investment. If they are such an incredible value, I am surprised that there are still so many available on the market for close to MSRP.

Was there a specific caliber reference? Or simply a "safari" rifle...however that is defined? The point is that one does not need to spend $10K or buy a quality suspect CZ in order to have a rifle capable of hunting any game species in the world. Having owned a CZ 550, I completely agree that they are "diamonds in the rough". Mine was quite accurate and the substantive quality was there. I just wish that they had spent a couple of extra labor hours polishing and quality checking. They could have charged more and still dominated what was left of a declining market. Since they have ceased production, I have been tempted to buy up a few but I don't buy rifles for potential return on investment. If they are such an incredible value, I am surprised that there are still so many available on the market for close to MSRP.

safari rifle generally is being interpreted as “professional grade workhorse”. Hence, the CZ is a magnum action with CRF that can handle traditional large bore calibers. Otherwise, we’d be referencing rem700s in 375hh and saying “see, $700 and it works”. That’s the subtle undertones of the thread. In lieu of $12,000 magnum Mauser crf, what else exists out of the box? Not a CZ, but for a bit of money to improve and tune it, it’s the cheapest facsimile of a high dollar magnum safari rifle that you can depend your life on.

If you are sold on a bolt rifle, instead of fixing up a sub-standard offering does it not make sense to go for a mid range quality rifle like the Kimber Caprivi? By the time the dust has settled the differential wouldn't be that great, if any?

safari rifle generally is being interpreted as “professional grade workhorse”. Hence, the CZ is a magnum action with CRF that can handle traditional large bore calibers. Otherwise, we’d be referencing rem700s in 375hh and saying “see, $700 and it works”. That’s the subtle undertones of the thread. In lieu of $12,000 magnum Mauser crf, what else exists out of the box? Not a CZ, but for a bit of money to improve and tune it, it’s the cheapest facsimile of a high dollar magnum safari rifle that you can depend your life on.
Thanks for the clarification. Listen, there are plenty of brand new CZ550's in 458 Lott for sale right now on gun broker for $1200. If one wants a large magnum action CRF , that is certainly an alternative. Another alternative is to buy a new FN made model 70 in 416RM or 458WM (still a CRF, albeit a smaller action) for about the same price and go hunting. I would assert that the Model 70 has a much higher likelihood of not requiring significant work in order to function properly.

But when this COVID BS is finally over with and I get back to my postponed trip to Namibia, I'm going tell my PH that his essentially stock Model 70 isn't a "professional grade workhorse" :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Listen, there are plenty of brand new CZ550's in 458 Lott for sale right now on gun broker for $1200. If one wants a large magnum action CRF , that is certainly an alternative. Another alternative is to buy a new FN made model 70 in 416RM or 458WM (still a CRF, albeit a smaller action) for about the same price and go hunting. I would assert that the Model 70 has a much higher likelihood of not requiring significant work in order to function properly.

But when this COVID BS is finally over with and I get back to my postponed trip to Namibia, I'm going tell my PH that his essentially stock Model 70 isn't a "professional grade workhorse" :D

now you’re being obtuse. A win70 isn’t a magnum action. It doesn’t hold magnum cartridges, it’s no different than any rifle chambered in 30-06. The point of the thread was related to CZ issues. The answer is tolerate them and upgrade the rifle, or buy a better rifle. It’s trying to accomplish what a double square magnum Mauser does at 1/10th the price. The CZ is clever, but it isn’t THAT clever.

If you are sold on a bolt rifle, instead of fixing up a sub-standard offering does it not make sense to go for a mid range quality rifle like the Kimber Caprivi? By the time the dust has settled the differential wouldn't be that great, if any?

ive owned a Caprivi and a CZ, I don’t think a Caprivi is a better rifle, it’s just different. It still cost $6000 to turn it into a 404jeff that fed correctly, something a CZ can do with far less effort. All these guns suffer the same issue the CZ avoids, shoving a giant cartridge into a tiny action.

now you’re being obtuse. A win70 isn’t a magnum action. It doesn’t hold magnum cartridges, it’s no different than any rifle chambered in 30-06. The point of the thread was related to CZ issues. The answer is tolerate them and upgrade the rifle, or buy a better rifle. It’s trying to accomplish what a double square magnum Mauser does at 1/10th the price. The CZ is clever, but it isn’t THAT clever.
There was no assertion that it was a true magnum action. Hence, "obtuse" may apply to your comment. However, I'm going to write down your definition of a "safari rifle" for future reference. My comments only echo what a previous poster stated..that there are other (perhaps better) choices out there. The CZ550 is often not a safari-ready rifle. This can lead to disappointment or worse for an average guy spending his hard earned dollars on a rifle he plans to take to Africa.

There was no assertion that it was a true magnum action. Hence, "obtuse" may apply to your comment. However, I'm going to write down your definition of a "safari rifle" for future reference. My comments only echo what a previous poster stated..that there are other (perhaps better) choices out there. The CZ550 is often not a safari-ready rifle. This can lead to disappointment or worse for an average guy spending his hard earned dollars on a rifle he plans to take to Africa.

pick a reasonable “large safari” caliber, say 416 rigby. What are the options? $10,000+ standard Mauser with incredible work to make it fit making that $500 action work, a magnum Mauser for $10,000-$15,000, a CZ, or? I’m not saying an alternative doesn’t exist, I just can’t think of one That is reliable with CRF and reasonable round capacity.

Don't know about the rest of the world. but here in Canada price differences can be substantial. I paid $1800 for my 458 and expect to pay another $350-500 when i get it back from the shop. A brief search on the net came back with an average price of $4200 for the Kimber. All price are in CDN $ and before 13% taxes, so yes, there is a considerable difference. Up to the individual if it's worth it or not.

Rookhawk et al. My questions around the CZ and Kimber aren't arbitrary, there is a good reason behind all this. My business partner's son is becoming a learner PH next year and he will need a rifle. Because of the very stringent practical shooting requirements most of these learners opt for a 375, it being the minimum, because they can shoot them better than say a 416. So we were thinking of a good bolt gun that wont need heaps of work that is not overkill on size and reasonably good quality. I figured the Kimber was it, but need assurance as it lands here for the price of a decent car. He can graduate to a 470 double or whatever when he qualifies, as he desires.

Why does kimber only offer their caprivi in 375? Seems like the market isn't very strong for the big calibers . Does anyone make a 416 Rigby in an affordable package?

I am glad I picked up a 550 in 416 Rigby, the only other option locally was a $12000 Rigby with lower grade wood. The 550 was $2300.

pick a reasonable “large safari” caliber, say 416 rigby. What are the options? $10,000+ standard Mauser with incredible work to make it fit making that $500 action work, a magnum Mauser for $10,000-$15,000, a CZ, or? I’m not saying an alternative doesn’t exist, I just can’t think of one That is reliable with CRF and reasonable round capacity.
Within that much smaller universe you describe, I completely agree. I guess that if I were smart, I would be buying up every $1200 "large safari" caliber CZ550 on gunbroker. I'll pass and let the more adventurous buy those gems.

Last edited:

Get a Defiance machine action $1,400 (plus $300 for CRF option), or Granite Mountain action ($2,500+)
Get you gunsmith to barrel it $1,500+
Get your stockmaker to make a stock $1,200+ (+ depends on furniture type).

A lot less than $10K - $15K.

Get a Defiance machine action $1,400 (plus $300 for CRF option), or Granite Mountain action ($2,500+)
Get you gunsmith to barrel it $1,500+
Get your stockmaker to make a stock $1,200+ (+ depends on furniture type).

A lot less than $10K - $15K.

thats $5200. I think you’ll have some additional costs hidden so let’s call that $6500. Quite a fine choice in fact. I think the CZ could get it done for quite a bit less, but your selection is a legit option too. Thanks for reminding me of GM actions.

Why does kimber only offer their caprivi in 375? Seems like the market isn't very strong for the big calibers . Does anyone make a 416 Rigby in an affordable package?

I am glad I picked up a 550 in 416 Rigby, the only other option locally was a $12000 Rigby with lower grade wood. The 550 was $2300.

because any action can squeeze in a 375hh, and most can squeeze a 458win or a 416 remington. These were big cartridges made to fit in normal actions so off the shelf“deer rifle” actions could be taken on safari.

but the 416 Rigby and up calibers need an act of god and a fortune to shove into a standard action, or they need a magnum action. Magnum actions are expensive and uncommon. Less demand, less volume of manufacturing, high prices.

Rookhawk et al. My questions around the CZ and Kimber aren't arbitrary, there is a good reason behind all this. My business partner's son is becoming a learner PH next year and he will need a rifle. Because of the very stringent practical shooting requirements most of these learners opt for a 375, it being the minimum, because they can shoot them better than say a 416. So we were thinking of a good bolt gun that wont need heaps of work that is not overkill on size and reasonably good quality. I figured the Kimber was it, but need assurance as it lands here for the price of a decent car. He can graduate to a 470 double or whatever when he qualifies, as he desires.

Hi Kevin,

In 375hh options are limitless. I’d buy used, a Mauser, from someone that has a tested and proven gun. A “ruined” pre-64 winchester that has been modified to lose all collectibility is about $2000-$2400. By the time it’s in Zim it’s $4000 but a PH or client can bet their life on that action.

if you can figure out the legalities I’d be willing to bring a gun with me to Zim if that mechanism is lawful at present. Plenty of nice guns for $1200 in the US in that caliber.

Thanks Rookhawk, ill look into that and let you know.

I really wanted a 416 Rigby . Thanks to CZ I was able to purchase one that shoots very nice at an affordable price for me. I did splurge and buy a nice Rigby cartridge
IMG_20200813_124357.jpg
IMG_20200813_124357.jpg
IMG_20200813_124411.jpg
wallet though.

There were a lot of problems with the Kimber to start with, I'm assuming they worked them out? If he's going with a 375 H&H once again I would recommend a new model 70 over a Kimber or a CZ. If he's going for anything bigger unless it's a 416 Rem (wouldn't recommend a 458 Win Mag) I'd go with a CZ and have Wayne at AHR do his CZ #1 upgrade. All in you'd be at $2000 which for a 416 Rigby is a deal.

Bought a CZ 550 458 Lott last week. Loaded up the magazine today and..... 100% failure to feed every time. Will not feed Hornady 500 gr solids, the only ammo the gun shop had. I'll try another type of ammo but I'm not hopeful. I had a 550 in 416 Rigby and it worked perfectly out of the box. Honestly I'm not mad or surprised, kind of expected this result. It will get fixed but, the itch I had to scratch was to finally shoot the Lott. Had to see what the recoil was like for myself, it wasn't bad. John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg