Got a CZ 550 9.3x62 and I have some concerns

70worm

AH member
Reaction score
1st. The bolt seems sloppy, but I read other places that this is true of most CZ 550s.

2nd. I'm having trouble loading rounds. Picking up the first one if I don't load them all the foward, and feeding issues sometimes.

Any thoughts?

Lots of CZs have feeding issues.... mine did.

If it's new, send it in for warranty work. If not, time to go to the local gunsmith.

Some CZs are better than others, finding a good gunsmith will likely solve the problem.

For some reason CZ doesn't like to test feeding of bullets into their guns extensively from the factory.

I have a Remington 700 BDL that did the same thing as your gun.

I had to send my 404 Jeffery back to the Custom Shop for similar feeding problems. My local gunsmith had the rifle for a month and made zero progress towards getting it fixed. As a last resort I contacted the Custom Shop (where the rifle was built) and they fixed it for free. That is if you don't count the $80.00 it cost me for expedited shipping to get the rifle to them. Return shipping was on their nickel. Now the rifle feeds like it is supposed to. I've been advised to apply some "autosol" to the bolt and work the action 50 times then clean, test and repeat as necessary till satisfied. Some folks have no troubles with their CZ, obviously we are not among the chosen few.

I just sent them an email to see if they will fix it.

That's a bummer. I have a CZ550 Safari Classic in .375 HH that is flawless. I keep reading about these issues, but honestly that is not my gun. It feeds perfectly, is tight and well finished, and I think it is maybe the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Go figure...

Call Triple River Gunsmithing. Phone no. is (660) 438 - 2004. They know CZs and how to fix them. They are in Warsaw, MO.

I left Triple River Gunsmithing a message too.

Call American Hunting Rifles in Montana as well.

Make sure you have the metal floorplate and spring that goes with. Both the plastic floorplate and spring can cause issues. Same for some of the new Win 70.

My CZ 550 .375 H&H has major problems with feeding all rounds. Also, the rounds rattle around in the magazine. My CZ 550 in .416 Rigby feeds very well though. The feeding issue is an inconsistent problem with the CZ's and I don't understand why they don't/can't fix it. I have a Ruger African in .375 Ruger which I never had a feeding problem with, so it's not about price point. I purchased a Heym Martini Express in .375 H&H and I've never seen a rifle that can cycle rounds so perfect and smooth every time! On a side note, both my CZ's are extremely accurate. With hand loads I get 1/2'' groups from both rifles.

CZ-550s are generally terrible. I sold mine, it felt like I was pushing the bolt through sand paper molasses. Got rid of it, I am of the mindset that anything, esp. a firearms should function properly brand new and the consumer should not have to spend extra money to fix what the factory should have gotten right.....

CZ-550s are generally terrible. I sold mine, it felt like I was pushing the bolt through sand paper molasses. Got rid of it, I am of the mindset that anything, esp. a firearms should function properly brand new and the consumer should not have to spend extra money to fix what the factory should have gotten right.....
You are absolutely right, I don't get the fix it after you buy thing. But as I've said elsewhere, my CZ550 Safari Classic is faultless. I have looked for the often recounted issues on this gun and found nothing. The action is smooth, slick and solid. The cartridges feed without snag or hesitation and extract almost aggressively. The finish on the steel is very good as is the figured wood on the stock. And to polish it off it is very accurate.
I don't understand how, considering today's manufacturing techniques, that consistency cannot be achieved.

70worm, that is the exact problem I had with my 404 Jeffery. The folks at Triple River had to put my action into a milling machine to correct the issues I was having. Harlan's daughter is actually the one that corrects the feeding issues. I don't know why you are having difficulties in reaching them.

3 Calls, 2 Emails, 1 Voicemail, and no response yet.

Call CZ in Kansas City, perhaps the folks at Triple River are on vacation or are having some kind of "emergency."

if you watch your own video you will see you are loading the 2nd cartridge to far forward instead of down in the mag well. Makes the 3rd cartridge tip up at the front so the base sits below the bolt. You could do this with any mauser style action. Load it correctly it will work correctly.

Graham, several gunsmiths tried to correct my CZ's feeding problems, it failed for all of them. CZ had to cut metal out of mine to make it function properly.

Graham, several gunsmiths tried to correct my CZ's feeding problems, it failed for all of them. CZ had to cut metal out of mine to make it function properly.
I never said that some CZs don't have feeding problems but that is not the case with this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross