GoPro help

redassnavajo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Been looking at picking up a go pro but hopefully I can get some help from a member that has one or both.
I am looking a Hero 5 and a session 5 not a whole lot of info on their website. I will use to record some hunting but with the session 5 cant determine if it has interchangeable battery or fixed . Wanted some input before I go to Best Buy or somewhere to quiz the staff.

Hero 5 black, more accessories now, not this summer.

I have a four and the batteries come out for charging!

Before spending all that money on a go pro, you should look at some of the other action cameras out there. There are some, like the Akaso that I recently purchased that has incredible imaging for $70. I thought it sounded to good to be true, but after buying it, I bought a second. 4K video is incredible! And all accessories are compatible with the universal go pro mounts.
Purchased online. You should at least look into it.

Redassnavajo, somewhere on this forum there is a negative discussion about using Gopro
cameras on African hunts due to the lens limitation not being able to focus on a distant animal/target. You might try to find the thread and read it before you buy. I don't own any of these cameras discussed here, so don't have a dog in the fight!

I am looking a Hero 5 and a session 5 not a whole lot of info on their website. I will use to record some hunting but with the session 5 cant determine if it has interchangeable battery or fixed .

@redassnavajo I brought along both a GoPro 4 Black and a GoPro Sessions on our safari last summer.

First, the sessions has an internal battery that is NOT removable. The regular gopro has a removal battery (I brought 4 batteries out with me every day).

A couple of thoughts on both-

-I like the sessions better than the regular gopro due to size and being waterproof, so no need for a clunky case. With that said, I primarily used the regular gopro on stalks. My wife and I filmed each other and would usually film the entire stalk. Most stalks were longer than 50 minutes, so the sessions had to be used sparingly or the battery would die.

-I personally recommend the gopro over other camera types for one big reason- editing software. By owning a gopro, you can download FOR FREE Gopro Studio, which will handle all of your editing needs. GoPro Studio is super easy to use, you can learn to use it within maybe 20 minutes of use. The downside is that GoPro Studio really only works with footage shot on a gopro. If you use other video cameras, you'll need to use some of the other software out there- I'm learning Resolve right now (also free, but not as user friendly).

-The comments about the zoon are correct- gopro doesn't zoom. Either gopro is best used for close up shots of your hunting party as the stalk, as you drive around, of your camp, etc. Animals are difficult to distinguish on the gopro, even if relatively close (50m will still usually look like a smudge in the grass unless its an elephant). If you want good shots of animals at a distance, you'll want to also get a camera with zoom- but realize, if you're the hunter, the last thing you want to do is mess around with zooming in a camera and stuff like that. Either have your hunting buddy do the filming or hire a professional.

-Hiring a professional is highly advised. Our guy edited a great hunt video together using both his footage and our gopro footage. I recommend talking to your outfitter about this. Some of the bigger outfitters like @Limcroma Safaris have in-house cameramen that are VERY reasonably priced and do a great job. Henk Jacobs of Bush Bros Productions did our video. His brother Riaan was our PH. Limcroma set everything up for us and it all worked out great.

-If you're going to get a gopro, I recommend getting a gimbal mount (stabilizer) and some extension rods. the gimbal greatly stabilizes your video and the extension rods allow you to get some really cool angles, like panning around everyone standing in the back of the truck, cool dirt-level shots of people walking during a stalk, etc- your imagination is the limit. The gimbals aren't cheap but the final product makes it worth it. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Dismantling-...8&qid=1486039400&sr=1-9&keywords=gopro+gimbal

-I recommend you film in the highest quality your videocamera can handle. You can grab still frames from the video during editing that are just as good as photos.

finally,

***Don't forget to wipe your lens before you start filming- every time! I failed to do this for a few days and about half my videos have a slight smudge in the middle of the frame- very frustrating!

If you have any questions, let me know. I'm still learning and experimenting with my video cameras, so I can let you know about issues I ran into during use.

Redassnavajo, somewhere on this forum there is a negative discussion about using Gopro
cameras on African hunts due to the lens limitation not being able to focus on a distant animal/target. You might try to find the thread and read it before you buy. I don't own any of these cameras discussed here, so don't have a dog in the fight!

Agree 100% bad idea. Use one for testing before hunting but at 40m you can hardly see the animal. Rather look for a video cam with a zoom lens x10 or bigger

The free software you get with a go pro to edit isn't worth the $300-400 you spend on the camera. You can purchase excellent software in the $60-100 range and buy 2-3 cameras of another brand that is just as good.

My buddy with his hero 4 saw the video from my $70 model and said the quality is the same. He will no longer purchase go pro. You're paying for their marketing. Just like a Yeti cooler, they put all their money in advertising.

@redassnavajo I brought along both a GoPro 4 Black and a GoPro Sessions on our safari last summer.

First, the sessions has an internal battery that is NOT removable. The regular gopro has a removal battery (I brought 4 batteries out with me every day).

A couple of thoughts on both-

-I like the sessions better than the regular gopro due to size and being waterproof, so no need for a clunky case. With that said, I primarily used the regular gopro on stalks. My wife and I filmed each other and would usually film the entire stalk. Most stalks were longer than 50 minutes, so the sessions had to be used sparingly or the battery would die.

-I personally recommend the gopro over other camera types for one big reason- editing software. By owning a gopro, you can download FOR FREE Gopro Studio, which will handle all of your editing needs. GoPro Studio is super easy to use, you can learn to use it within maybe 20 minutes of use. The downside is that GoPro Studio really only works with footage shot on a gopro. If you use other video cameras, you'll need to use some of the other software out there- I'm learning Resolve right now (also free, but not as user friendly).

-The comments about the zoon are correct- gopro doesn't zoom. Either gopro is best used for close up shots of your hunting party as the stalk, as you drive around, of your camp, etc. Animals are difficult to distinguish on the gopro, even if relatively close (50m will still usually look like a smudge in the grass unless its an elephant). If you want good shots of animals at a distance, you'll want to also get a camera with zoom- but realize, if you're the hunter, the last thing you want to do is mess around with zooming in a camera and stuff like that. Either have your hunting buddy do the filming or hire a professional.

-Hiring a professional is highly advised. Our guy edited a great hunt video together using both his footage and our gopro footage. I recommend talking to your outfitter about this. Some of the bigger outfitters like @Limcroma Safaris have in-house cameramen that are VERY reasonably priced and do a great job. Henk Jacobs of Bush Bros Productions did our video. His brother Riaan was our PH. Limcroma set everything up for us and it all worked out great.

-If you're going to get a gopro, I recommend getting a gimbal mount (stabilizer) and some extension rods. the gimbal greatly stabilizes your video and the extension rods allow you to get some really cool angles, like panning around everyone standing in the back of the truck, cool dirt-level shots of people walking during a stalk, etc- your imagination is the limit. The gimbals aren't cheap but the final product makes it worth it. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Dismantling-...8&qid=1486039400&sr=1-9&keywords=gopro+gimbal

-I recommend you film in the highest quality your videocamera can handle. You can grab still frames from the video during editing that are just as good as photos.

finally,

***Don't forget to wipe your lens before you start filming- every time! I failed to do this for a few days and about half my videos have a slight smudge in the middle of the frame- very frustrating

If you have any questions, let me know. I'm still learning and experimenting with my video cameras, so I can let you know about issues I ran into during use.
I understand there is no zoom and I would be using on bow hunt as shots under 50 yds , figured the session had a fixed battery and read battery life was not that great so in all reality Hero is the better choice as to having extra batteries that you could stretch for the whole day.
thanks for you input.

@redassnavajo the Hero definitely offers more flexibility with extra batteries. If you're spending most of the day in a blind, you could bring along one of those auxiliary battery units that charge cellphones and the like, but you would still have that downtime while you wait for it to charge.

I find myself using my sessions primarily when I go mountain biking or doing other activities where I know how long I'll be at it.

The price is what makes the sessions so attractive- you can essentially get two cameras for the price of one Hero.

Also, regarding accessories- you can feel pretty comfortable about ordering one of those accessory kits off amazon. The quality is essentially the same and much cheaper than the name-brand stuff.

You will find that lots of accessories end up not getting used. I primarily use the chest mount and my gimbal with extensions. Its also good to have a decent amount of the mounts with adhesive backing. I've put them on my bike helmet, gun case, random places.

I think you can buy custom mounts for your bow- or you may just want to stick on one of the adhesive ones (as long as you're ok with never taking it off).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross