35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
Those that know me from the past know that I have never been partial to Ruger 77's, and those of you that don't know me I have never been partial to Ruger 77's (just never had much luck with accuracy (( I don't handload)). However, a local gun shop had a new in the box Ruger Hawkeye, synthetic stainless, in my favorite 308, that he took in on trade. The deal was to good to pass up, so I bought it. Very happy with the results. Federal deer thugs in 165gr. shot the best, 1 1/4 group at 100 yards 8 shots with a fixed 6 power scope.

My experience with Ruger prior has been "pre-good trigger", the new triggers, the fit and feel of the Hawkeye, the weight, everything. I like the new Rugers and will never bad mouth them again, not the new ones... It was some of the folks on this forum that, through reading about there thoughts on the new Rugers, gave me the mindset to give them another chance. Glad I did...

Do yourself a favor and flip open the floor plate and find the angled screw at the front. On a newer M77, it might be an allen head screw... Firmly tighten this screw... the book says to 95 inch pounds (that is very tight for a small screw!). This draws the barreled action into the bedding surface of the stock and this screw being loose is likely the biggest accuracy issue with Ruger 77s.

Then also snug down the other two (straight) trigger guard screws going back and forth tightening each a bit at a time... Don't over tighten to the point it crunches the wood but firmly snugged down.

Well if you were to finally leave Remmy, the M70 would have of course been the better choice but.......one step at a time I guess.... :cool: ;) :censored:

Welcome to the ruger family. Any more ruger and CZ are the only rifles I buy and love them both. The new trigger made all the difference in the world. I have a 270 ruger and love that rifle. Extremely accurate and handles nice. I bought a 416 ruger guide gun for my DG hunt next month and love it too.

You all know I love Rugers! Glad you got you one 35bore

Ruger makes a damn affordable gun, most are super accurate too.

Well if you were to finally leave Remmy, the M70 would have of course been the better choice but.......one step at a time I guess.... :cool: ;) :censored:
NEVER!!!! I'll never change my ways brother, the new ruger and the groups so far are very pleasing to me though .

Last edited:
Ruger makes a damn affordable gun, most are super accurate too.
You're the main person who influenced me. You write all the time about your rugers, most of the time I don't reply (hell, I haven't replied to much on the forum lately )... You and I have had different experiences with the old models, that's for sure but,,, the Hawkeye I have I would put up against many of the high $$$ rifles any day of the week.

Oh I like Rugers, I just don't like the looks of the new Rugers. They function just fine. I just think they economized too much.....and it started when they went to 375 Ruger. I would rather buy a gun on the used market than the new ones. I don't blame Ruger, they were probably losing money.

I guess, once more we disagree on this topic. The older "skeleton " stocks looked cheap to me, but it was one of rugers best sellers in stainless. Again don't want to argue about the topic, but the rifle I bought feels and shoots like it was made for me. That's all I was getting at.

I recently bought a m77 chambered in 280 Remington. Very accurate but the trigger pull is 5 1/2 lbs. too heavy pull for me and I'm no gunsmith to change it

I recently bought a m77 chambered in 280 Remington. Very accurate but the trigger pull is 5 1/2 lbs. too heavy pull for me and I'm no gunsmith to change it
Timmy Triggers manufactures a replacement trigger that if you can use a screwdriver you can replace your factory one with a fully adjustable trigger. They make them for the old style M77 with the tang mounted safety and the new model.

I love old model 77's the best, Mk II's are also good depending on particular style. I prefer the models with sights, the RS. Just a personal preference. Picked up a 77 in '06 recently and after floating the bbl., it shoots excellent. That is the thing I have found to be a major culprit in most factory rifles is the way the bbl. and action are bedded. I always shoot them first, but if I get regular flyers, the first thing I do is float the bbl., by sanding out the hump near the forend that pushes up on the bbl. Sometimes its OK, others,, gotta go. As mentioned above that front angled screw needs to be 95-100 pds torqued, especially on heavy kickers as it will walk back and eventually split the stock. Most recently as I said on another thread I picked up a near NIB .458 with Circassian walnut. I took it to the range a couple days ago and with iron sights most of my loads were going into the same group at 100 with varying powder charges and 400 gr bullets. It was a damn good shooter. Only one problem and how it left the factory like this I will never know, but it wont feed off the left rail, jams every time! Called Ruger up and talked to them and they said don't bother sending it back, we cant do anything with it, "we don't repair out of production guns" says he! Further he said, "take it to a gunsmith". So I did. I took it to a world class smith about an hour from home and hope to have it back soon. This is not the first time Ruger has told me this crap about not fixing older model guns, so beware. A few years ago I had a similar issue with another 77 but that time they fixed it. They wont anymore. Too bad, I guess they are mostly just parts assemblers now and not gunsmiths! Still the old model 77's remain one of my all time favorite rifles, I have 3 right now, a custom bbld. .280 Rem, the 06 and the .458 along with the Mk II Express .338 which is a superb rifle in every respect, flawless.

I've changed the trigger spring in 2 of my Ruger Hawkeyes that have the LC-6 trigger. Lightens the trigger pull by 1 to 1.5 lbs. Takes 5 minutes, super easy job that anyone can do. Bought the new spring for $7 at "Ernie the Gunsmith" http://erniethegunsmith.com/catalog/i29.html

Timmy Triggers manufactures a replacement trigger that if you can use a screwdriver you can replace your factory one with a fully adjustable trigger. They make them for the old style M77 with the tang mounted safety and the new model.

Fitting of that trigger involves a tiny bit of very careful filing (of the trigger) with a second cut file. Given your admittance that trigger work is not within your skill set, it were best that you have this done by either a professional gunsmith or qualified (via apprenticeship) military armourer.

Thank you zg47, I will be taking it to my local gunsmith. I do wish I would of learned more about gunsmithing. I guess never too old to learn!

I upgraded from a Ruger M77 Tang safety in .308win to a M77 Hawkeye All Weather .308win and .30/06. They are great firearms and hard working rifles. I polished the triggers on both of them to suit my needs. Hand load for both of them and get under an inch group. .308 = 150gr Hornady SST and .30/06 Claw 180gr. (Claw is a locally produce bullet). Still sad that I sold my Tang safety .308.

The new Ruger should shoot plenty good,Iv'e looked at a couple but was put off because of the accuracy problems, Ruger used to get their barrel from several Mfgs some good some not but since they are either producing barrel in house or have settled on one mfg the accuracy seems to have turned around,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,