Good luck charm???

GA Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I think all hunters are superstitious to a degree. For me it's manifested in a few essential items in my kit. The most significant is a hat I purchased some 30 odd years ago from a store called Oshman's in the local mall. It was a typical baseball style camouflage cap made of thinsulate, which at the time was cutting edge technology in the hunting industry. This hat served me well through the years. The most memorable favor it did me was to ward off a raccoon that launched itself from a tree apparently with the intention of taking my scalp. When he hit my head all he managed to grab was my faithful hat. From that hunt forward it became my good luck charm. The years have put some wear and tear on it so these days I only bring it out when things get particularly difficult. Most recently was three years ago when I was in a kudu drought. We scored on a great bull by 8:30 the first morning out with my trusty hat in play.

I'm wondering who else has a similar talisman in their arsenal??

Cool story, thanks for sharing! The coon part is a harrowing piece of this hats history!

I personally don't have any good luck charms or lucky socks/underwear etc. What I try to do on every hunt is have a positive attitude and simply enjoy being in God's creation!

Look forward to reading more responses to your question!

I bought a safari jacket at Cabelas five years ago. It's nothing special just cotton material with big pockets. It seems that when I wear it my hunt goes well. No real proof but I take it with me every safari even if it's not cold.

My @KMG Hunting Safaris hat seemed to make good things happen (maybe it was the PH...nah;)...). Seriously, I got a good vibe from it. That hat and I have bonded.

This hat has been on the majority of my hunts in Africa.
It shifted into true Talisman status in Botswana when it demonstrated it's powers.
It saved me from a young driver that wanted to determine if a branch could penetrate my scalp going 20 km/h.

But the true power was only discovered accidentally when I misplaced it one day. I set out for the day thinking nothing of it and went hunting wearing another hat. We hunted hard all day and found nothing. It was like a game capture had occurred overnight, ridding the farm of any species I was after.
Still, I made no attributions toward the missing hat.
The next day was a repeat. Now I am wondering if the hunting is just getting tough or...

That evening as I was cleaning up my tent and low and behold there is my old AH hat hiding in a corner. By old, I mean original, dirty and sweat stained. I set it out for use the next day.
I discovered it's strong Muti.

Off we go hunting and it was like night and day. Critters are falling out of the bush.
I have had exceptional luck when this hat is along.

brickburn ahcap - Copy.jpg

The proof is in the pudding.

The picture of the hat taken by @Traditional Mozambique Safaris the same day this Sable was taken.
IMG_8789.jpg

Martin would say it was all his hard work and @buffybr shooting straight but I know it was the hat being in camp that got the Leopard the second night. It also works in the dark.

IMG_8657.jpg

IMG_8018.jpg
IMG_7769.jpg
P1000264.jpg
DSCN9178.jpg

It works in any African country I have attended ( at least thus far), with Bow or Rifle . I plan to continue the research and test the Muti whenever I can.
I have never used this hat at home, nor will I. The Muti has to be saved for Africa.

ps. I am not sure it works on fish. No true tests yet, but the Tiger fish have always alluded me.

I have supermagnets on all my hunting rifles. Brings game right in like they were on a string.

One of my 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mausers. I don't go on a hunt without them. I may bring another rifle but I always bring a Swede.

I have a lucky scarf that I wear, just seems to bring good luck, even after Justin @JustinC nearly burnt it picking a pan off the fire.
20160731_095337.jpg

My Boyt safari jacket...seems elephant are drawn to it...

@Pondoro, do you let your tracker wear the jacket :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you