Good Gun Deals This Week

People buy million-dollar paintings, w/o thought.
"People" is a little out of context don't you think. What you are trying to say is, there are "our/my kind of people" and then there are "little people". I know many "people" who can't afford a $25 bicycle. There are "people" who buy multimillion dollar private jets without a second thought.

Last edited:
.404 Jeff Remington 1934. Thoughts?

Attachments

• REMINGTON 1934 404 JEFFREY DURYS # 2717 - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 947633050.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
"People" is a little out of context don't you think. What you are trying to say is, there are "our/my kind of people" and then there are "little people". I know many "people" who can't afford a $25 bicycle. There are "people" who buy multimillion dollar private jets without a second thought.
Sorry it was Taken Personal? .. My Point being, People Will Pay (Regardless of Status), Whatever They Think It's Worth To Them.

Just letting Everyone Know it was For Sale.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948047246

I'm not sure it's a great deal, but this Whitworth sure looks nice. The seller seems to claim that it has a four round magazine as well. If only the front stud were a barrel band, and it had a second crossbolt. I have an M70 Safari Express on order, and have since last December, but I'm still tempted by this one.
I have one but this one has nicer wood than mine. I wouldn’t have paid $1600 for it though.

No idea of what your tax bracket is but I found in past experience is it isn’t relevant. Within reason, what someone pays for a gun has very poor correlation to their net worth. Some people think of guns as consumable tools, others think of them as an alternative asset class.

What will you leave your kids? I regret I didn’t buy picassos in my twenties when I could get them for $15,000. I regret I didn’t buy many 500 ounce bars of silver when it was trading at $4.25 an ounce. I regret that I didn’t buy a used mustang GT500 in the early 90s when a 67-68 era model could be had for under $20,000.

Putting money into a savings account is a handy thing, but considering its buying power diminishes by about 3.5% YoY and lost about 13% of its buying power in the last 12 months, it probably would have been a better plan to drop $60k on a Hartmann & Weis.

I regret not putting $1500 in the Bank of Boulder (some real irony there) 30 years ago and getting the Weatherby rifle in instant interest. Could have done it twice and have my money back today!

This looks like a smokin’ deal. Here’s the gunsinternational and their website link.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.38.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.38.47 AM.png
    987.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.38.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.38.48 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.38.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.38.50 AM.png
    606.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.38.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.38.59 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.39.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.39.00 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.39.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.39.03 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
This looks like a smokin’ deal. Here’s the gunsinternational and their website link.

Haha they have since raised the price to $1275.99. At $969.99, it was an incredible deal. Probably below dealer cost. Still pretty good, especially in the current market, I think.

Haha they have since raised the price to $1275.99. At $969.99, it was an incredible deal. Probably below dealer cost. Still pretty good, especially in the current market, I think.

That's what happens when 25 guys from AH converge on a gun sale...

Anyway, their website now lists this price:

WINCHESTER 70 ALASKAN​

SKU 535205138
NEW
Our Price

$1,429.99 In stock​

Payments from $103.94 per month.
Retail $1,439.99 Instant Savings $10.00

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.15.00 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.15.00 PM Large.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.15.02 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.15.02 PM Large.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.15.04 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-26 at 7.15.04 PM Large.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 41
That's what happens when 25 guys from AH converge on a gun sale...

Anyway, their website now lists this price:

WINCHESTER 70 ALASKAN​

SKU 535205138
NEW
Our Price

$1,429.99 In stock​

Payments from $103.94 per month.
Retail $1,439.99 Instant Savings $10.00

I was never in the financial position to buy things that are disposable. $1400 for a mass produced throw-away item seems like a lot of money. A pre-64 Connecticut made Win70 375HH can be had for about $2800 and will hold its value or better. Just my perspective.

Here's a slightly odd one, coming up in the Gavin Gardiner auction on 5 October: a .375 Rimless double rifle made by Arrieta. With the current near parity of the £/ $, this is a potentially good deal for an American reader.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...prod&queryID=07dafab433f3c2e0e1b991fe1b995033

Note that one barrel in the photograph reads 'SHOT AND REGULATED BY', and I suspect that the other barrel reads 'HOLLAND AND HOLLAND', putting it into the late 80s/ early 90s, when Holland and Holland were using this phrase on third party rifles that they were selling on (before they were taken over by Chanel and moved up-market). Potentially, given that the engraving is in the house style, they might have done the engraving as well (not that that particularly adds anything). The .375 rimless is the same round used in bolt action rifles, ie. not the rarer .375 flanged which would be the more obvious round for a double rifle, and which means that the rifle presumably uses detents in the ejector mechanism (one more thing to go wrong).

Great as it is, is the .375 really a double rifle calibre? On the other hand, there might just be someone out there hankering after a .375 double rifle - a Scandinavian going after moose, perhaps - and here is a good example of a well-built rifle built on London lines but without the cachet of a London name. If you are just about to pay the deposit on a German rifle, I'd pause for thought. It is fully valued - to my mind at least - at its estimate, so not really a 'good gun deal this week', but the advantage of an auction is that one might just get a bargain.

NB always ask for condition report. My close inspection of the photograph shows a strange keyhole-shaped cut (?) in the right fence which might be worth getting to the bottom of.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 7.10.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 7.10.03 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 7.10.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-27 at 7.10.04 AM.png
    903.8 KB · Views: 41
Here's a slightly odd one, coming up in the Gavin Gardiner auction on 5 October: a .375 Rimless double rifle made by Arrieta. With the current near parity of the £/ $, this is a potentially good deal for an American reader.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-...prod&queryID=07dafab433f3c2e0e1b991fe1b995033

Note that one barrel in the photograph reads 'SHOT AND REGULATED BY', and I suspect that the other barrel reads 'HOLLAND AND HOLLAND', putting it into the late 80s/ early 90s, when Holland and Holland were using this phrase on third party rifles that they were selling on (before they were taken over by Chanel and moved up-market). Potentially, given that the engraving is in the house style, they might have done the engraving as well (not that that particularly adds anything). The .375 rimless is the same round used in bolt action rifles, ie. not the rarer .375 flanged which would be the more obvious round for a double rifle, and which means that the rifle presumably uses detents in the ejector mechanism (one more thing to go wrong).

Great as it is, is the .375 really a double rifle calibre? On the other hand, there might just be someone out there hankering after a .375 double rifle - a Scandinavian going after moose, perhaps - and here is a good example of a well-built rifle built on London lines but without the cachet of a London name. If you are just about to pay the deposit on a German rifle, I'd pause for thought. It is fully valued - to my mind at least - at its estimate, so not really a 'good gun deal this week', but the advantage of an auction is that one might just get a bargain.

NB always ask for condition report. My close inspection of the photograph shows a strange keyhole-shaped cut (?) in the right fence which might be worth getting to the bottom of.

Good to see you back to posting @Major Bonkers !

I’m really happy for you @Rare Breed . It’s a very nice gun that looks very well restored and you’ll not find its equal at that price point. I hope you have many good hunts with it and take pride in a few scratches you apply to the gun that add to its story. Worst case scenario, you wear the gun down over a decade and your heirs sell it and you get your money back. You can’t say that for the modern alternatives at that price!
Need advice please. I want to shoot A-Square SP and Cutting Edge Solids with this DR. Will that hurt the barrels? Thanks!

Need advice please. I want to shoot A-Square SP and Cutting Edge Solids with this DR. Will that hurt the barrels? Thanks!

Yes. You’ll likely ruin the gun.

Follow the 1921 Kynoch regulation loads and you’ll be fine. That’s a Woodleigh SP or Solid (not the Hydro!) and IMR3031 powder.

1.) Using modern bullets you may bottom out the rifling destroying the gun
2.) You’re creating a pressure spike it was not designed for
3.) They are volumetrically way longer than lead bullets, thus you can potentially ”straighten” the barrels. (Meaning you split the ribs right off the gun)

Don’t do it, don’t do it, don’t do it.

If you want to shoot hydros and monos and CEBs, go buy a Heym. If you want to kill everything on the planet with class and style, just use your amazing rifle as it was designed to be used.

Yes. You’ll likely ruin the gun.

Follow the 1921 Kynoch regulation loads and you’ll be fine. That’s a Woodleigh SP or Solid (not the Hydro!) and IMR3031 powder.

1.) Using modern bullets you may bottom out the rifling destroying the gun
2.) You’re creating a pressure spike it was not designed for
3.) They are volumetrically way longer than lead bullets, thus you can potentially ”straighten” the barrels. (Meaning you split the ribs right off the gun)

Don’t do it, don’t do it, don’t do it.

If you want to shoot hydros and monos and CEBs, go buy a Heym. If you want to kill everything on the planet with class and style, just use your amazing rifle as it was designed to be used.
Thanks! My problem is while I will be absolutely using IMR3031 there are no Woodleys available whatsoever due to the fire. Given this please tell me what expanding soft points I can use for Buffalo and what solids I can use for elephant in this gun. So grateful for your help!!!

Thanks! My problem is while I will be absolutely using IMR3031 there are no Woodleys available whatsoever due to the fire. Given this please tell me what expanding soft points I can use for Buffalo and what solids I can use for elephant in this gun. So grateful for your help!!!
How many woodleigh bullets are you looking for. Is it for your 500 Nitro ? . I have some 600gr prtected point soft points. I have very few fmj’s. I wont have enough for practice loads. I will still look and see weather I have any more FMJ’s . If that would help.
Krish

How many woodleigh bullets are you looking for. Is it for your 500 Nitro ? . I have some 600gr prtected point soft points. I have very few fmj’s. I wont have enough for practice loads. I will still look and see weather I have any more FMJ’s . If that would help.
Krish
Now THIS is truly righteous.
Good man, Krish!

Now THIS is truly righteous.
Good man, Krish!
Thank you. I dont have a double. Mine are 500 jefferys in bolt action. I can always use swift or barnes in them. More over i am not going to Africa at-least for two years.
Krish

What’s your bore diameter?

DGS / DGX
tBBC / TBS
A-frame

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg