Good Gun Deals This Week

That's good to know, I wasn't sure if the aperture would interfere with the throw of the lever.

When the gun is cocked, it is permitted to be put on safe, moving the lever all the way back.. The cocking piece is all the way back, so the safety can be swung all the way back. In order to fire the gun, the safety must be pushed forward all the way at which point the cocking piece has the room to come forward. It’s a bit of a marvel of everything being in the right place at the right moment to interoperate with one another.

I didnt see where anyone answered the question about the bolt hitting the follower on an empty rifle.
The follower is apparently a military follower that has not been beveled for empty mag feeding.
You can either bevel it yourself using another beveled one for a guide or replace it with one that has been beveled already.

If you let me know where Canadians buy vintage guns, I’ll troll through those lists and post good values I come across from those resources too.
@rookhawk
You are a kind and generous person offering to do this for others.
There is so little of this in our now time poor world.
Thank you.
Bob

I don't know. I certainly would agree Art Alphin had no aesthetic clue in creating a P17 based rifle (however functionally perfect), but I don't think we should be all that critical of what the Birmingham trade could do with a P14. This C&H is a .318 from between the wars. With its long barrel and lean lines it is as elegant a rifle as sits in the gun room. That said, the 98 is certainly a lot less work when trying to create a well proportioned rifle.

WR 318 Cogswell & Harrison

Perhaps because of my age, I also have a weak spot for the Browning Superposed design as built in Belgium. By modern standards, the action is far too deep and a gun is typically as much as a pound too heavy for the bore size. But the Belgian guns were very robust, and all that weight sits cleanly between the hands. As you suggest, I won't own any Browning built during the salt years. I further agree that Browning is now little more than a modern Charles Daly without a master production house like Lindner to build its best guns. It is somewhat amazing the Brand has maintained any cache'.

This is a great thread to maintain or periodically launch. Like @rookhawk, I too often see things in classified that deserve something other than a positive comment. This is a great way to discuss brands and what to look for or beware of in any previously owned firearm.
@Red Leg
Remington made some fine rifles out of the old M17s in the model 30 and 30s but if you want really elegant M17s and P14s look no further than Holland and Holland they used them to make some truly bespoke 375s that I doubt people would call ugly. They are one rifle you can truly make into a silk purse from a sows ear.
Bob

@Red Leg
Remington made some fine rifles out of the old M17s in the model 30 and 30s but if you want really elegant M17s and P14s look no further than Holland and Holland they used them to make some truly bespoke 375s that I doubt people would call ugly. They are one rifle you can truly make into a silk purse from a sows ear.
Bob
Bob - I am agreeing with you. Purpose of my post and why I posted the picture of my .318 WR Cogswell & Harrison elegantly built on a P14.

Bob - I am agreeing with you. Purpose of my post and why I posted the picture of my .318 WR Cogswell & Harrison elegantly built on a P14.
@Red Leg
Yes it's a fine looking 318.
Would love a 300 at 375 H&H on a P14 actually done by Holland and Holland but alas my name may have Nelson in it but it's missing the Rockefeller part.
Ha ha ha
Bob

Well, I found a good gun of the week deal, friends.

First Stop gun shop in Rapid City, SD, is a major dealer in Dakota arms. They have a new or like new, well equipped, model 76 TAKE DOWN in 458 Lott for sale. I believe its $6000. Maybe they’d take a bit less. A take down should command a 50% premium. A 458 Lott is a versatile and backward compatible cartridge to 458 win mag.

Enjoy. I hope somebody on here picks it up.

First Stop gun shop in Rapid City, SD, is a major dealer in Dakota arms. They have a new or like new, well equipped, model 76 TAKE DOWN in 458 Lott for sale. I believe its $6000. Maybe they’d take a bit less. A take down should command a 50% premium. A 458 Lott is a versatile and backward compatible cartridge to 458 win mag.

Did you take a picture of it @rookhawk?

I called them. Will be buying it . Thanks for the info.
Krish

Krish

Well, I assume you’ll be able to post pictures when it arrives ;)

Krish

Fantastic, Krish! I congratulate you on a great buy!

Edit: a drink to your sorrow for the love that was lost. Sorry you missed that one, Krish.

Last edited:
Fantastic, Krish! I congratulate you on a great buy!
No , They said they have it and asked me to go online and pay for it. When I did I got an email saying it is already sold. Well you win some and loose some. I am a little disappointed but I have a 470 Capstick Hannibal on itsway. I posted the pic .
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg