rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Hello friends,

Many of you have asked me for advice on gun searches as it's a bit of a hobby for me to "see what is out there" each week. I discussed this with @AfricaHunting.com and he permitted me to create a running post on the Classifieds section.

The purpose of the posts will be to show what interesting guns of good quality and value may be popping up on the Internet each week. My personal guidelines of a "good gun" are as follows:

"That is a quality weapon with soul, character, inherent quality, and can be purchased for what I or others believe is a good value. This may mean a $60,000 gun is being sold for half of that price, hence a good value, or it may mean that it is a heck of a gun for someone with $200-$300 to spare but they don't want to buy plastic junk. Frugality and quality are important factors so hopefully the well-heeled and the working blue-collar man both get something out of the topic."

I invite others with experience to jump in and "kick the tires" if my critiques are off. There are many experts on this forum that will be able to add to the conversation in the hopes that we all get more knowledgeable at appraising the strengths and weaknesses of the guns listed.

A final warning: While I'll try to list guns that are offered on "legitimate" gun sites, a legitimate site is not a guarantee of a legitimate seller. You must always assess the legitimacy of any purchase by determining the feedback rating, methods of payment, and reasonable terms of any advertisement. Caveat emptor.

Regards,

@rookhawk

A gun I saw recently for the working man. It's a 1941 British Enfield sporter. These were imported in the 1960s and 1970s by Golden State Arms. Most of them are pretty low quality but their top of the line was the "supreme" which indeed, this specimen is. They had a very nice stock, likely by bishop, and are a completely serviceable arm that has a lot of class. Presently, the starting bid is $150. For somebody that wants to hunt North America with some dignity and love of tradition while spending less than the least expensive new piece of trash you can possibly find at the sporting goods store, this is a bargain.

***As always, I have no affiliation with the seller. Caveat emptor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 3.46.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 3.46.15 PM.png
    908.2 KB · Views: 876
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 3.46.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 3.46.29 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 850
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 3.46.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 3.46.30 PM.png
    923.6 KB · Views: 776
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 3.46.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 3.46.32 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 609
Hello friends,

Many of you have asked me for advice on gun searches as it's a bit of a hobby for me to "see what is out there" each week. I discussed this with @AfricaHunting.com and he permitted me to create a running post on the Classifieds section.

The purpose of the posts will be to show what interesting guns of good quality and value may be popping up on the Internet each week. My personal guidelines of a "good gun" are as follows:

"That is a quality weapon with soul, character, inherent quality, and can be purchased for what I or others believe is a good value. This may mean a $60,000 gun is being sold for half of that price, hence a good value, or it may mean that it is a heck of a gun for someone with $200-$300 to spare but they don't want to buy plastic junk. Frugality and quality are important factors so hopefully the well-heeled and the working blue-collar man both get something out of the topic."

I invite others with experience to jump in and "kick the tires" if my critiques are off. There are many experts on this forum that will be able to add to the conversation in the hopes that we all get more knowledgeable at appraising the strengths and weaknesses of the guns listed.

A final warning: While I'll try to list guns that are offered on "legitimate" gun sites, a legitimate site is not a guarantee of a legitimate seller. You must always assess the legitimacy of any purchase by determining the feedback rating, methods of payment, and reasonable terms of any advertisement. Caveat emptor.

Regards,

@rookhawk
Awesome idea!

Hello friends,

Regards,

@rookhawk

A lovely idea @rookhawk! With your expertise and that from others, this should become one of the most interesting threads on AH!

Thank you very much for sharing your experience freely with the other members of AH. I personally have already learned so much (but also so little still) from you during our chats.

Thank you,

V.

Hello friends,

Regards,

@rookhawk
Great idea!

I will sometimes use my lunch time for GB searches where I set the parameters at something like "ending in 24 hours" and "150 bucks and under". It doesn't often produce fruit, but I've picked up 4 or 5 guns that way. More than anything it's a fun way to pass time while eating my lunch at my desk.

Here's another gun that I like. It's offered by Griffin & Howe, a reputable seller that isn't known for "deals" as their clientele can afford pretty nice guns.

It's a Sedgley sporter. Sedgley was the poor-man's Griffin & Howe. He made a lot of sporters and they continue to increase in value, usually now worth $2000-$2500 in base model configuration.

So I view this as a completely functional working gun. If someone were to clean the checkering, lightly remove surface rust, and go after the bore a bit with TLC, maybe rub a few coats of oil finish on it gently, and drop $200 on a lyman aperture sight on ebay, you'd have a $2000 gun for around $1200.

More importantly, it is functional, appreciating art. You can say with some amount of pride you own a Sedgley Springfield that you bought from Griffin & Howe.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 4.51.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 4.51.37 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 480
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 4.51.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-13 at 4.51.39 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 485
The .303 sporter is a neat rifle, seen a few over the years. Nice thing about them is they come with that hard to find 5 round mag that we who have Lee Speed type rifles look for.

The Sedgley is another rifle I like, had one once years ago. That one has had a few mods done to it, but overall looks pretty good, not sure about "crud" in the bore though. Many feel the Sedgley sporters are unsafe due to being built primarily on rehabbed low number '03's and while maybe not a good platform for hot rodding, I think they are safe enough. Sedgley re heat treated the receivers and proofed them with rounds that supposedly developed about 70,000 CUP before shipping.

I wish there was a Canadian version!

If you let me know where Canadians buy vintage guns, I’ll troll through those lists and post good values I come across from those resources too.

If you let me know where Canadians buy vintage guns, I’ll troll through those lists and post good values I come across from those resources too.

There are always some gems for sale by Mr. Martini.
The same can be said for Elwood Epps

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.17 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 391
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.20 AM.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 411
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.23 AM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 403
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.24 AM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 397
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.26 AM.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 350
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.16.29 AM.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 332
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.17.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.17.23 AM.png
    786.8 KB · Views: 313
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.17.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.17.25 AM.png
    850.2 KB · Views: 480

There are always some gems for sale by Mr. Martini.
The same can be said for Elwood Epps

Mr. Martini has never sold a junk gun in his life. All of his goods are top notch. ”Bargains” are fleeting, but the confidence that comes from knowing he looked the gun over may deserve a premium.

For the Candians:

Here’s your good deal alert.

Cogswell & Harrison made a fair amount of dangerous game rifles. Many were on P17/P19 actions (yuck) but some were made on 98 Mauser actions. (Glorious)

In fact, my most accurate safari rifle is indeed, a Cogswell & Harrison London made 375HH Mauser. They made a bunch of these in the 1951-1953 era to supply largely to the Parks departments of Africa and held some in reserve to sell to cost conscious customers. They are beautiful, functional safari rifles.

The one at Epps in Canada is in very good condition for the paltry sum of $3995 CAD. The condition looks excellent. It has an upgraded hybrid between file rib “rigby style” rear sight island and a quarter rib, compared to most I have seen that were small islands with a standing and folding sight arrangement. Nice.

For what amounts to $3100 US Dollars, its a heck of a fine gun.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.18.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.18.48 AM.png
    882 KB · Views: 474
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.18.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 8.18.49 AM.png
    399.6 KB · Views: 600
Mr. Martini has never sold a junk gun in his life. All of his goods are top notch. ”Bargains” are fleeting, but the confidence that comes from knowing he looked the gun over may deserve a premium.
I agree 100% with you. But if I had 5k sitting around growing dust and was itching for a lovely rifle, that would be my first stop. The Springer 7x64 calls out to me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg