Good Gun Deals This Week

Damn that is a fair bit cheaper than what George charged @Just Gina

Anybody wants one, that looks like an opportunity to me;)
Yea that’s the lowest price I’ve seen on one so far. I want one myself and am working on getting the funds together. Sadly can’t swing it on this one. I’m sure it’ll be gone quick. Hopefully to an AH member

It’s honestly almost too good to be true.
I don't know about that. Definitely do your due diligence on the seller if you don't already know of them. But that rifle was the new thing out and in very tight supply vs. now they are apparently coming in decent enough numbers there must not be a waiting list.

I would ask if the rifle pictured is the actual rifle you will get. The wood almost looks upgraded so either luck of a the draw or a little bait and switch could be going on.

I don't know about that. Definitely do your due diligence on the seller if you don't already know of them. But that rifle was the new thing out and in very tight supply vs. now they are apparently coming in decent enough numbers there must not be a waiting list.

I would ask if the rifle pictured is the actual rifle you will get. The wood almost looks upgraded so either luck of a the draw or a little bait and switch could be going on.
Yea that’s a big seller so I don’t think I’d worry about anything on that end. Someone probably just needed some cash and pretty much gave it to them. Or not. Just kinda crazy to see that price. And I think they started shipping them last September?

Last edited:
Dewey’s was around back when I was in high school, which was a long time ago. They didn’t carry high end guns back then so this gun might be a little out of their wheelhouse and they want to move it.

Yea that’s a big seller so I don’t think I’d worry about anything on that end. Someone probably just needed some cash and pretty much gave it to them. Or not. Just kinda crazy to see that price. And I think they started shipping them last September?
It says it is new in the box. Are you saying they got it second hand? If that is the case, tbe price makes sense and is not THAT big a discount.

It says it is new in the box. Are you saying they got it second hand? If that is the case, tbe price makes sense and is not THAT big a discount.
Possibly. Like you said just trying to make sense of the price. I could see someone making a bad impulse buy and then having to get rid of it quick. It would be hard to market as NIB if that was the case though.. I’m probably wrong and should keep my trap shut lol

Possibly. Like you said just trying to make sense of the price. I could see someone making a bad impulse buy and then having to get rid of it quick. It would be hard to market as NIB if that was the case though.. I’m probably wrong and should keep my trap shut lol
So you haven't checked? In any case it sounds like a legit seller and a decent price.

That is about what we used to think of as a normal starting or asking price on a $10,000 MSRP gun.... Perhaps things are beginning to return to normal?

Remember the new Merkel doubles that were selling at $8500? I think MSRP was all of $10k if not $12?

But great find! Best price seen so far on one of these! Especially if that is the actual gun with that figure in the wood :) You should call and inquire, maybe they do layaway?

What else can I do to enable you to spend your money? LOL

So you haven't checked? In any case it sounds like a legit seller and a decent price.

That is about what we used to think of as a normal starting or asking price on a $10,000 MSRP gun.... Perhaps things are beginning to return to normal?

Remember the new Merkel doubles that were selling at $8500? I think MSRP was all of $10k if not $12?

But great find! Best price seen so far on one of these! Especially if that is the actual gun with that figure in the wood :) You should call and inquire, maybe they do layaway?

Looks like it’s definitely a deal for someone.

I sincerely hope so.

I wish lol. Would just be tire kicking at the moment. I was told I need to be “responsible” lol. Should be soon though

Another for the lefties, and a bit rarier, better qualty than usual. I have been mulling it over for days now and I just don't think it's in the cards at this time. Did some digging on it, it is legit and in original condition, minus the scope. Here is what the makers wife, who is running the current business (Ron passed away) had to say-
"The rifle dates back to 1993 and was made for a Mr Al Mutawa
He ordered four rifles – different calibres at the time & supplied the scopes
Unfortunately Ron has not written in his day book as to the action but it may be Heym as it is a left handed
It was stocked by John Sells (ex H&H) leather covered pad
Name & address in gold inlay and gold stag head on floorplate and will have been engraved by Marcus Hunt
The barrel is screw cut for a sound moderator
Interesting the rifle is no longer scoped as it was complete in the last auction
The scope will have been 1 inch in the day
The price would have been around £3000 + Ron has noted in his diary that Mo supplied the scope and didn’t want H&H style scope mounts fitted
To day a new rifle would cost in the region of £15,000 iron sighted depending on wood engraving no scope or mounts"

Could I get a price check for a Belgium Browning Safari in 300 H&H? 1959 build in 80% condition.

A harder to find caliber and the prices range widely. Expect an 80% gun to list anywhere from $1200-2200. Auctions will usually be on the lower half of that.
Quality wood might coax me to pay on the upper end in 300 h&h. The standard safari can have extremely plain wood or 100% fiddleback throughout and anywhere in between. No salt wood worries in '59.

The wood is nicely grained, but with the usual dings one would expect from a 60 year old gun.

Reactions: CJW
The wood is nicely grained, but with the usual dings one would expect from a 60 year old gun.

A quality rifle either way. Slick FN action, nice trigger. The only downfall is the gloss coating can crack and haze making them look rougher than they really are. A refinish can fix that so I would say at $1800 or less you can't go wrong. Definitely a caliber I would like to own.

Good luck.

A quality rifle either way. Slick FN action, nice trigger. The only downfall is the gloss coating can crack and haze making them look rougher than they really are. A refinish can fix that so I would say at $1800 or less you can't go wrong. Definitely a caliber I would like to own.

Good luck.
So $1600 Canadian wouldn’t be bad at all then huh!

As of today, that converts to a little less than $1,200 U.S., which probably isn't a bad deal. Personally I'd like to be at a thousand or less, but that's probably because I already have a couple and am tuned to the prices of yesteryear. If you really like it, they are great rifles. Btw, it is my understanding that they only assembled barreled actions in 1959 and no completed rifles were shipped until 1960. I have a 30-06 with an L2xxx serial number that i estimate shipped in mid to late 1960.

As of today, that converts to a little less than $1,200 U.S., which probably isn't a bad deal. Personally I'd like to be at a thousand or less, but that's probably because I already have a couple and am tuned to the prices of yesteryear. If you really like it, they are great rifles. Btw, it is my understanding that they only assembled barreled actions in 1959 and no completed rifles were shipped until 1960. I have a 30-06 with an L2xxx serial number that i estimate shipped in mid to late 1960.
This one in L33xx

As @cash_tx said, if the conversion is $1200 it seems like a good deal. The more common calibers can be had cheaper but then you wouldn't have a 300 h&h.

I don't need one but I would be considering another rifle if I saw it at that price.

I have purchased a few guns from Dewey, when i lived in Spartanburg, close by Greenville.
He was /is a safari hunter, and while his business was called "Dewey's Pawn Shop, it really was mostly a gun store with some really nice rifles, guns, and high-end optics.
He has a huge Moose mount and a really nice Kudu. I think he had a good relationship with a wholesaler in Columbia SC, so he would get in rifles that were "hand picked", as well as some interesting variants. He carried lots of "big bore" rifles.

I got my first Ruger RSM. 416 Rigby from him in 2004. He drove a hard bargain, but we worked out a trade on my CZ 550 .416 Rigby and some cash.
He had back then a Merkel double and a Chapuis double, both in .470 that he let me handle, and recommended the Chapuis.

I had good experiences with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg