Good Gun Deals This Week

I have a couple of questions for all of you knowledgeable gun men. The 404j on the attached brochure has a 22" barrel. How much muzzle velocity would this barrel produce with something like Hornady ammo at 2300fps. Isn't the 2300fps figured off a barrel at 23.5-24"?

Also, how much would it cost to install a decent rear site that would match the rest of the rifle?

I have done a bit of research on Firearms International buying firearms from Europe and distributing them under their own name. From the information here, can anyone determine who made the action? The action looks similar to an FN (especially the stainless parts) with a different bolt handle but that is just my observation. I also see a1946 or 1948 stamped on the right side. Would it be appropriate to guess that is the date the action is made.

Thanks for the help!

It’s a highly subjective matter with a lot of factors to consider but I think it’s ok to critique a seller’s price and deem it “unfair” if said product is still being produced and/or has a known (or ballpark knowable) replacement cost etc.. I agree with most of your post but just because someone is willing to overpay for something because they want it doesn’t mean it was priced “fairly” and is therefore worthy of criticism. You can replace “fair” with “reasonable” if you so desire.
Hi @Wishfulthinker580. Criticizing or complaining about prices is our God given right! However, a willing buyer and a willing seller determine what’s fair.

Here’s a pair of Hermes men’s sandals for the low, low price of $1,125. What was the total cost of these on the docks of Shanghai? I’d be surprised if it was as much $20. Unfreakingbelievable! I’m sure they sell them. Can’t imagine to whom.

1678918509806.jpeg

GUYS, I AM JUST NOT SMART ENOUGH TO PUT A LINK IN TO GET TO THIS JOHN RIGBY & COMPANY .450 NE 3-1/4 FOR $14K BUT IF YOU GO TO shop.colegun.com AND STICK RIGBY INTO THEIR SEARCH IT WILL PULL IT UP. MY SON HANDLED IT AND IT IS A REAL NICE GUN, HE PASSED ON IT TO BUY A BERETTA SSO6 HE SHOULD HAVE IN NEXT WEEK AND I'LL PUT SOME PICTS UP OF IT.

A single trigger, rimmed 416 Rigby, over under double rifle BRNO.
Personally I do not like single trigger doubles based on my experience with vintage shotguns. Still a Winchester M21 single trigger is pretty much foolproof. Does anyone know if BRNO single triggers have occasion to double or are they idiot proof?

Note: This action has a Greener crossbolt.

View attachment 522503

I have a couple of questions for all of you knowledgeable gun men. The 404j on the attached brochure has a 22" barrel. How much muzzle velocity would this barrel produce with something like Hornady ammo at 2300fps. Isn't the 2300fps figured off a barrel at 23.5-24"?

Also, how much would it cost to install a decent rear site that would match the rest of the rifle?

I have done a bit of research on Firearms International buying firearms from Europe and distributing them under their own name. From the information here, can anyone determine who made the action? The action looks similar to an FN (especially the stainless parts) with a different bolt handle but that is just my observation. I also see a1946 or 1948 stamped on the right side. Would it be appropriate to guess that is the date the action is made.

Thanks for the help!

In the interest of truth in disclosure that's my rifle for sale :). Yes I thinks its FN see Belgian proof marks. As far as sights go, if I was gonna keep it I was installing a picatinny rail from europtic costs about 100 bucks. throw on a good red dot like a trijicon SRO 500 bucks and you are off to the races. if you want classic open sights NEGC has them from 100-200 bucks.
only reason Im selling is my .505 Gibbs fits me better.
cheers-woody

In the interest of truth in disclosure that's my rifle for sale :). Yes I thinks its FN see Belgian proof marks. As far as sights go, if I was gonna keep it I was installing a picatinny rail from europtic costs about 100 bucks. throw on a good red dot like a trijicon SRO 500 bucks and you are off to the races. if you want classic open sights NEGC has them from 100-200 bucks.
only reason Im selling is my .505 Gibbs fits me better.
cheers-woody

Really appreciate the info. I was unaware what Belgian proof marks looked like. My next 404 will be scoped. Also want the option to remove the scope if a follow up is needed. You have a good looking rifle!

Do you know what muzzle velocity you are getting with factory ammo in a 22" barrel?

GUYS, I AM JUST NOT SMART ENOUGH TO PUT A LINK IN TO GET TO THIS JOHN RIGBY & COMPANY .450 NE 3-1/4 FOR $14K BUT IF YOU GO TO shop.colegun.com AND STICK RIGBY INTO THEIR SEARCH IT WILL PULL IT UP. MY SON HANDLED IT AND IT IS A REAL NICE GUN, HE PASSED ON IT TO BUY A BERETTA SSO6 HE SHOULD HAVE IN NEXT WEEK AND I'LL PUT SOME PICTS UP OF IT.
This is a nice one. It is however a California Rigby built on a Merkel action.

If a base Merkel without the side swing ERA scope mounts and scope is worth $10,000, then maybe this very nice rifle in .450 NE 3-1/4 is worth $14,000?

1678925408615.png

Last edited:
Really appreciate the info. I was unaware what Belgian proof marks looked like. My next 404 will be scoped. Also want the option to remove the scope if a follow up is needed. You have a good looking rifle!

Do you know what muzzle velocity you are getting with factory ammo in a 22" barrel?
no, I will be able to chrono it next week if you want weather permitting. I'm certainly no expert but my reading leads me to conclude 22-23" is optimal for this caliber. but Im sure others may disagree. YMMV
woody

no, I will be able to chrono it next week if you want weather permitting. I'm certainly no expert but my reading leads me to conclude 22-23" is optimal for this caliber. but Im sure others may disagree. YMMV
woody

Appreciate the input.

Just not sure if 22" would produce the velocity.

Hi @Wishfulthinker580. Criticizing or complaining about prices is our God given right! However, a willing buyer and a willing seller determine what’s fair.

Here’s a pair of Hermes men’s sandals for the low, low price of $1,125. What was the total cost of these on the docks of Shanghai? I’d be surprised if it was as much $20. Unfreakingbelievable! I’m sure they sell them. Can’t imagine to whom.

View attachment 523152
Wow, those and a pair of Westley Richard’s shooting socks and one would be the “cats meow” at the range? Those sandals even have eyelets for running a cable through them to lock em to the shooting bench so nobody could steal them if one decided to wear their boots walking down range to check their target?

Wow, those and a pair of Westley Richard’s shooting socks and one would be the “cats meow” at the range? Those sandals even have eyelets for running a cable through them to lock em to the shooting bench so nobody could steal them if one decided to wear their boots walking down range to check their target?
Kek. I thought those were to make it easy to tie one's companions feet together for a fire drill.

This is a nice one. It is however a California Rigby built on a Merkel action.

If a base Merkel without the side swing ERA scope mounts and scope is worth $10,000, then maybe this very nice rifle in .450 NE 3-1/4 is worth $14,000?

View attachment 523154
DID NOT REALIZE THERE WAS SUCH AN ANIMAL AS A "CALI" RIGBY! AND MY SON DIDN'T MENTION IT. SORRY FOR POSTING

What is "based"? I have seen that word used here and there, but I am a geezer and many of these goldurn newframbled things befuzzle me.

"Based" in the parlance of kids these days is basically an affirmation or general positive response to someone or something--it can mean "true," "awesome," "cool," or "right/correct." It's often used when someone agrees with something someone else did or said, especially if it's something that goes against popular opinion or "proper" social conventions.

I used it here because the same segment of the population that often uses "based" also use the word "kek" a lot. Kek has become a common response similar to "lol," "haha," or "lmao" in certain younger circles and in online forums and image boards. It was not something I expected to see on this forum!

Heh. I learned the word Kek in high school, Lo, those many years ago, when doing "The Skin of Our Teeth" as our junior class play.
I doubt such events happen anymore.
I still find it a perfectly cromulent word.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!