Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 8.24.36 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 8.24.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 8.24.37 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 8.24.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-13 at 8.24.38 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
A single trigger, rimmed 416 Rigby, over under double rifle BRNO.
Personally I do not like single trigger doubles based on my experience with vintage shotguns. Still a Winchester M21 single trigger is pretty much foolproof. Does anyone know if BRNO single triggers have occasion to double or are they idiot proof?

Note: This action has a Greener crossbolt.

1678659626216.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.03.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.03.24 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.03.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.03.25 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.03.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.03.26 AM.png
    600.4 KB · Views: 32

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.04.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.04.49 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.04.49 AM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-15 at 9.04.49 AM 1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 45

Somebody buy this before I have too.

Champlin's website and associated guns international postings aren't necessarily representative of what's still available for sale at the shop. I recommend calling to see whether this one is there still. I don't know that this is necessarily a "good gun deal." If it was a 450/400, 470, or 500 NE, I suspect it would be more attractive to today's buyers. This double may have been around quite a while, and if on consignment, you might be able to negotiate a fair bit. Good luck!

If anyone cares to weigh in ..
I'll weigh in.

I handled this rifle at the DSC show in 2020 at the Cabela's booth. I vaguely recall that it was well balanced and seemed even lighter than the listed weight. What I distinctly recall was that it was a tremendous bargain, since Cabela's was asking just $8,000. It disappeared from their website shortly after the show and then reappeared on Barnett's site at $15,000.

I'll weigh in.

I handled this rifle at the DSC show in 2020 at the Cabela's booth. I vaguely recall that it was well balanced and seemed even lighter than the listed weight. What I distinctly recall was that it was a tremendous bargain, since Cabela's was asking just $8,000. It disappeared from their website shortly after the show and then reappeared on Barnett's site at $15,000.
I guess it’s not super surprising when the better known gun dealers are sometimes doubling up on market value of their merchandise. But it is a bit disappointing. IIRC, A similar deal happened recently on Belgium 416 imperial action rifle - Champlin had it listed for $12kish, and then it was sold by Cabelas for $8kish. Cabelas isn’t typically in the business of giving deals - I think it actually was fair. The prior pricing was super high, and it does make me wonder how much above market are the prices at the bigger dealers. Knowledge definitely has value, but 50-100% more??

I guess it’s not super surprising when the better known gun dealers are sometimes doubling up on market value of their merchandise. But it is a bit disappointing. IIRC, A similar deal happened recently on Belgium 416 imperial action rifle - Champlin had it listed for $12kish, and then it was sold by Cabelas for $8kish. Cabelas isn’t typically in the business of giving deals - I think it actually was fair. The prior pricing was super high, and it does make me wonder how much above market are the prices at the bigger dealers. Knowledge definitely has value, but 50-100% more??
I know they don’t deal exclusively in fine guns and rifles but Dury’s is open about buying at 30% below market value. It does make one wonder about the other dealers.

Having said that, in my ignorance I did waste a trip to Cabela’s once in order to sell them two rifles. They offered me 1/3 market value..

I know they don’t deal exclusively in fine guns and rifles but Dury’s is open about buying at 30% below market value. It does make one wonder about the other dealers.

Having said that, in my ignorance I did waste a trip to Cabela’s once in order to sell them two rifles. They offered me 1/3 market value..
Cabelas has changed their business model a lot since purchased by Bass Pro.
I used to get about 80% value before the buyout.
Afterwards, pre Pandemic I brought in a Ruger RSM .458Lott. The going price was 1600-1800 at the time ( those days are gone!)
Cabelas offered me $750. As I was raised a polite Southern gentleman, so I tried not to show my insult reaction.
The following week,I sold the rifle on this site for $1600 to a satisfied buyer, going on a Cape Buffalo hunt.
Happy buyer and seller, it went to someone going to take it on safari.
I haven’t been back to the Gun Library since.

Our local Cabela's Gun library used to have a couple of DG rifles at all times. Nothing that ever raised my interest but at least they had them. Since the buyout I haven't seen one. The library is now about half full. Winchester, Colt or some form of 1911 is about all they carry now.

For a dealer buying 30% below market value is fairly common, it is even quite a nice figure. But too often I see a dealer buying 30-50% below market value, then selling only at 30-50% above market value.

For a dealer buying 30% below market value is fairly common, it is even quite a nice figure. But too often I see a dealer buying 30-50% below market value, then selling only at 30-50% above market value.
I totally agree. I should’ve expanded upon my previous post. I’m a capitalist through and through and I know a business must be profitable and I think 30% below is perfectly fair for a dealer to buy at in order to sell at market value or even 10-15% over (on used guns at least). As long as that premium is based on their expertise and an assurance that you’re not buying junk. Anything over that I vehemently disagree with. Full disclosure I have overpaid before

We consumers are in control of what things cost…..especially so in the case of nonessentials like hunting arms. Think the seller is making an “unfair” profit? Don’t buy it. If someone else doesn’t mind and pays the seller’s price, then it was priced “fairly.” If no one buys it, then the seller must reduce the asking price to the point someone is willing to pay, or enjoy keeping the gun in inventory. Personally I could care less what the owner’s cost basis is. If I want it enough to pay the price, I do, and never look back.

Last edited:
350 gr (23 g)2,150 ft/s (660 m/s)2,340 ft⋅lbf (3,170 J)

It looks like a black powder 3 1/4" double. I pulled the above performance specs from Wikipedia.
It is definitely not for dangerous game...

It don't know it that's a good or bad price for such a rifle.

Energy numbers are just a skosh bit off on that Wiki page. 350gr @2150fps works out to-

3593 ft lb
4871 J

We consumers are in control of what things cost…..especially so in the case of nonessentials like hunting arms. Think the seller is making an “unfair” profit? Don’t buy it. If someone else doesn’t mind and pays the seller’s price, then it was priced “fairly.” If no one buys it, then the seller must reduce the asking price to the point someone is willing to pay, or enjoy keeping the gun in inventory. Personally I could care less what the owner’s cost basis is. If I want it enough to pay the price, I do, and never look back.
It’s a highly subjective matter with a lot of factors to consider but I think it’s ok to critique a seller’s price and deem it “unfair” if said product is still being produced and/or has a known (or ballpark knowable) replacement cost etc.. I agree with most of your post but just because someone is willing to overpay for something because they want it doesn’t mean it was priced “fairly” and is therefore worthy of criticism. You can replace “fair” with “reasonable” if you so desire.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross