rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
That's good to know, I wasn't sure if the aperture would interfere with the throw of the lever.

When the gun is cocked, it is permitted to be put on safe, moving the lever all the way back.. The cocking piece is all the way back, so the safety can be swung all the way back. In order to fire the gun, the safety must be pushed forward all the way at which point the cocking piece has the room to come forward. It’s a bit of a marvel of everything being in the right place at the right moment to interoperate with one another.

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
I didnt see where anyone answered the question about the bolt hitting the follower on an empty rifle.
The follower is apparently a military follower that has not been beveled for empty mag feeding.
You can either bevel it yourself using another beveled one for a guide or replace it with one that has been beveled already.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
If you let me know where Canadians buy vintage guns, I’ll troll through those lists and post good values I come across from those resources too.
@rookhawk
You are a kind and generous person offering to do this for others.
There is so little of this in our now time poor world.
Thank you.
Bob

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I don't know. I certainly would agree Art Alphin had no aesthetic clue in creating a P17 based rifle (however functionally perfect), but I don't think we should be all that critical of what the Birmingham trade could do with a P14. This C&H is a .318 from between the wars. With its long barrel and lean lines it is as elegant a rifle as sits in the gun room. That said, the 98 is certainly a lot less work when trying to create a well proportioned rifle.

WR 318 Cogswell & Harrison

Perhaps because of my age, I also have a weak spot for the Browning Superposed design as built in Belgium. By modern standards, the action is far too deep and a gun is typically as much as a pound too heavy for the bore size. But the Belgian guns were very robust, and all that weight sits cleanly between the hands. As you suggest, I won't own any Browning built during the salt years. I further agree that Browning is now little more than a modern Charles Daly without a master production house like Lindner to build its best guns. It is somewhat amazing the Brand has maintained any cache'.

This is a great thread to maintain or periodically launch. Like @rookhawk, I too often see things in classified that deserve something other than a positive comment. This is a great way to discuss brands and what to look for or beware of in any previously owned firearm.
@Red Leg
Remington made some fine rifles out of the old M17s in the model 30 and 30s but if you want really elegant M17s and P14s look no further than Holland and Holland they used them to make some truly bespoke 375s that I doubt people would call ugly. They are one rifle you can truly make into a silk purse from a sows ear.
Bob

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
@Red Leg
Remington made some fine rifles out of the old M17s in the model 30 and 30s but if you want really elegant M17s and P14s look no further than Holland and Holland they used them to make some truly bespoke 375s that I doubt people would call ugly. They are one rifle you can truly make into a silk purse from a sows ear.
Bob
Bob - I am agreeing with you. Purpose of my post and why I posted the picture of my .318 WR Cogswell & Harrison elegantly built on a P14.

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Bob - I am agreeing with you. Purpose of my post and why I posted the picture of my .318 WR Cogswell & Harrison elegantly built on a P14.
@Red Leg
Yes it's a fine looking 318.
Would love a 300 at 375 H&H on a P14 actually done by Holland and Holland but alas my name may have Nelson in it but it's missing the Rockefeller part.
Ha ha ha
Bob

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Well, I found a good gun of the week deal, friends.

First Stop gun shop in Rapid City, SD, is a major dealer in Dakota arms. They have a new or like new, well equipped, model 76 TAKE DOWN in 458 Lott for sale. I believe its $6000. Maybe they’d take a bit less. A take down should command a 50% premium. A 458 Lott is a versatile and backward compatible cartridge to 458 win mag.

Enjoy. I hope somebody on here picks it up.

VertigoBE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa

First Stop gun shop in Rapid City, SD, is a major dealer in Dakota arms. They have a new or like new, well equipped, model 76 TAKE DOWN in 458 Lott for sale. I believe its $6000. Maybe they’d take a bit less. A take down should command a 50% premium. A 458 Lott is a versatile and backward compatible cartridge to 458 win mag.

Did you take a picture of it @rookhawk?

krish

AH elite
Reaction score
Media

I called them. Will be buying it . Thanks for the info.
Krish

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
I called them. Will be buying it . Thanks for the info.
Krish

Fantastic, Krish! I congratulate you on a great buy!

Edit: a drink to your sorrow for the love that was lost. Sorry you missed that one, Krish.

Last edited:

krish

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Fantastic, Krish! I congratulate you on a great buy!
No , They said they have it and asked me to go online and pay for it. When I did I got an email saying it is already sold. Well you win some and loose some. I am a little disappointed but I have a 470 Capstick Hannibal on itsway. I posted the pic .
Krish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dogpound

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cajunchefray wrote on SAFARIKIDD's profile.
Hello Tom "SAFARIKIDD". This is Charles Ray, aka "cajunchefray" from Ponchatoula.

We spoke a year or two ago when I sold you the Swarovski illuminated reticle scope,
Would like to meet with you and talk about Cal.

I bought some brass and bullets, and book from Cal and looked forward to meeting him, we talked about DSC next year.
Let's meet soon.
Charles
Andrew62 wrote on gillettehunter's profile.
Hello Bruce, I think you are still in Africa?? I just sent payment to Bulls Eye Taxidermy to have 3 of my animals mounted, it has been years since I have had anything mounted. I hope Ronnie and Jimmy had a good hunt down Kimberly way. Anyway, so nice to have met you Bruce, it was wonderful meeting you and spending time with you in camp. I hope your store closure and building sale go well. Cheers, Andrew Fike
BigFan375 wrote on Freetrade's profile.
I'm sorry, but I'm buying, not selling.............lee
Member: NRA Life

Hunt: Alaska-Canada-NM
geoff rath wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
G'day Bob,
Just had a yarn with A G, and he has filled me in on how much work he puts in to such developments, referencing QuikLoad, tightening tolerances, load development, range testing. He indicated that of you wish to contact him directly he can go into details far better than I.
If you wish , contact him directly, he has given the OK for me to pass that on.