Good Gun Deals This Week

Mauser .404 j anyone?

This is a travesty. A super incompetent gunsmith that didn’t know how to install a G&H mount drilled the action and used torx screws to bolt a G&H Military base to the action rather than a civilian one. They are thicker. Thus, he didn’t inlet the metal so it is inside the stock, but rather notched the stock to accommodate it. And since its nearly 1” too high on the action, its complete F’d up.

So he took a high dollar rifle, perhaps worth $7500, and then utterly ruined it. The gun is now worthless. Ruined a single square bridge 404 Jeff banner action. outrageous.

There is a 9.3 B&M for sale in this link. Comes with brass and dies. If you play around with the stock configurator on their site and just input the obvious features the stock alone is worth just over $2k itself. LOP is 13.5”.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.51.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.51.26 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.51.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.51.29 PM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.51.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.51.33 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.51.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.51.37 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 45
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948047246

I'm not sure it's a great deal, but this Whitworth sure looks nice. The seller seems to claim that it has a four round magazine as well. If only the front stud were a barrel band, and it had a second crossbolt. I have an M70 Safari Express on order, and have since last December, but I'm still tempted by this one.

Whoa!
View attachment 491292

@Daniel Cary I know you've looked for high quality speculative assets in the past. If they'd take a low-ball flyer on this one, this is a true investment grade weapon. It would probably cost $80k-$100k to have H&W make it today, and their life expectancy is not very long. No finer modern rifle exists anywhere.

If I had $45k in a suitcase I'd probably show it to WLM&S on a day when the stock market is tanking and Putin is threatening nuclear war.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/948047246

I'm not sure it's a great deal, but this Whitworth sure looks nice. The seller seems to claim that it has a four round magazine as well. If only the front stud were a barrel band, and it had a second crossbolt. I have an M70 Safari Express on order, and have since last December, but I'm still tempted by this one.
I feel fortunate…I bought the identical gun on GB last year for $1200. It shoots great with 1 MOA at 100 yards and is going to Africa with me in 23 for my lion. Great rifle for the money. Nice wood too

I feel fortunate…I bought the identical gun on GB last year for $1200. It shoots great with 1 MOA at 100 yards and is going to Africa with me in 23 for my lion. Great rifle for the money. Nice wood too
Meaning same brand/style

Nice. Very happy and excited for you re: your lion hunt. Prices seem to have gone up a lot. Maybe due to CZ not making the 550 anymore, and the Safari Express not available anywhere. Does your Whitworth really hold four down?

Nice. Very happy and excited for you re: your lion hunt. Prices seem to have gone up a lot. Maybe due to CZ not making the 550 anymore, and the Safari Express not available anywhere. Does your Whitworth really hold four down?
I need to check. I have only been using three down when I take it to my range

The one I had only held 3 down.

The one I had only held 3 down.
I need to check. I have only been using three down when I take it to my range
Thank y'all for the info. I strongly suspected that it only held 3, but the description said total capacity 5 rounds. If I had known for sure it was 4+1 I think I would have bought it.

Thank y'all for the info. I strongly suspected that it only held 3, but the description said total capacity 5 rounds. If I had known for sure it was 4+1 I think I would have bought it.

When you're into mausers like the Whitworth, you *may* be able to buy blackburn bottom metal. No cheap deal, probably $350-$400, but it will get you a rigby style magazine that will add one or perhaps two rounds to the gun. It will require custom inletting, perhaps custom bottom screws, bluing, and maybe some feed or follower adjustment. But that's how you get it done.

Thank You @rookhawk
@Daniel Cary I know you've looked for high quality speculative assets in the past. If they'd take a low-ball flyer on this one, this is a true investment grade weapon. It would probably cost $80k-$100k to have H&W make it today, and their life expectancy is not very long. No finer modern rifle exists anywhere.

If I had $45k in a suitcase I'd probably show it to WLM&S on a day when the stock market is tanking and Putin is threatening nuclear war.
I was hoping for your valued opinion .. "and their life expectancy is not very long"

I called on the Gibbs and about an hour before someone had agreed to purchase.
From an investment standpoint I wonder how the H&Ws will do once the current makers pass and they fade a little from the then collective conscience? Twenty or thirty years from now? I suppose similar guesses could be made re David McKay Brown

People buy million-dollar paintings, w/o thought.

Reactions: CJW
I called on the Gibbs and about an hour before someone had agreed to purchase.
From an investment standpoint I wonder how the H&Ws will do once the current makers pass and they fade a little from the then collective conscience? Twenty or thirty years from now? I suppose similar guesses could be made re David McKay Brown

Thats a very good example. McKay Brown, Hartmann & Weis, Marcel Thys. These are the best small production houses alive today.

We hope they become the next MacNaugton, Dickson, or Woodward. I feel bad reading obituaries looking for death notices, but that’s when fine art goes up in value.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.11.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.11.35 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.11.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.11.38 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.12.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.12.09 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.12.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.12.11 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.12.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.12.12 AM.png
    599.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.12.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 8.12.14 AM.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 32

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you