Good Gun Deals This Week

Rookhawk,

Thank you kindly for the explanation and the photograph as well. looks to be a very clean and precise system. I inquired about it because, for myself at least, the aesthetics of this system are more appealing to my eye than either the H&H or the Griffin&Howe mounting systems, especially when the optic is removed and the cover plates are installed.

JP

They’re way out of my price range, but I have heard tell that they are awkward to use, almost requiring a third hand. And I believe it was Terry Weiland who wrote that the tolerances were so tight, the bases and rings almost form a vacuum making it difficult to remove the scope.

Now, if both of these issues prove not to be true, I’ll be a happy camper, because they are sexy AF, and I’d gladly put them on a “I won the lottery custom.”View attachment 468855
I have smithson mounts on my 404 Jeffery. Double square bridge GMA. Work very well and easy to use the quick release buttons. However, I can understand why some might say they are awkward to use and I believe it’s related to proper installation of the scope. I first just put the scope on, lined it up and torqued it down. Could not get it to budge when I went to test the quick release. Took the scope off and tested each ring / base separately and no problem. Reinstalled the scope but this time I first tested the quick release with the ring screws finger tight with no issues. From there I kept torquing down the screws but would test the quick release every couple of in/lbs. This method worked perfectly and the mounts release from the bases smooth as silk. Simply hold the rifle in your left hand normally from underneath and use your thumb to push the front mount button, while grasping the rear base with your right and pull it right off. No third hand needed. So in my experience these are great but definitely need to take a little extra time up front to make sure you have precision alignment when installed or you might get some binding.

Just saw this deal at reeds. Man I wish I had the$$$. Looks like quite the discount.

4A8581B6-A0B7-43B3-A481-EAEF7E6B4253.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Rookhawk,

Thank you kindly for the explanation and the photograph as well. looks to be a very clean and precise system. I inquired about it because, for myself at least, the aesthetics of this system are more appealing to my eye than either the H&H or the Griffin&Howe mounting systems, especially when the optic is removed and the cover plates are installed.

JP

100% correct.

But the system requires a single or double square bridge action. That alone adds $6000 to the component cost of the rifle action before the cost of the mounts.

If you have the means, definitely get one of these!

Rookhawk,

Again, appreciate your time and input, Thank you!!!! I agree with all that you have said on this subject. It is the system that I have chosen for my project. I just wished to hear from individuals that have some first hand knowledge.

ay2626,

Thank you for taking the time to relate your personal experiences with the Smithson system, it Is heartening to hear that you have had a positive experience with them. They are definitely not a cheap method of attaching an optic, however I am of the opinion that it is the best system available for modern bespoke rifles.

JP

I found a good gun on Gunbroker today. It’s a Sedgley Springfield with a fine stock and a $350 lyman 48 aperture sight. No bids. $995.00. No reserve.

For the price of a soulless plastic clunker off the rack, you could own this incredibly dignified collectible weapon that is known for perfect feed and exceptional accuracy.

For those of you unfamiliar, RF Sedgley was known as “the poor man’s Griffin & Howe”. Some of his guns are now fetching as much as $3000. This example is definitely worth $2000 if the bore is decent.

As always, buyer beware. I know nothing about this seller nor have I personally viewed the weapon.

@Wahoo perfect gun for a lady or a young gentleman.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 7.19.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 7.19.07 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 7.19.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 7.19.09 PM.png
    786 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 7.19.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 7.19.11 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
I found a good gun on Gunbroker today. It’s a Sedgley Springfield with a fine stock and a $350 lyman 48 aperture sight. No bids. $995.00. No reserve.

For the price of a soulless plastic clunker off the rack, you could own this incredibly dignified collectible weapon that is known for perfect feed and exceptional accuracy.

For those of you unfamiliar, RF Sedgley was known as “the poor man’s Griffin & Howe”. Some of his guns are now fetching as much as $3000. This example is definitely worth $2000 if the bore is decent.

As always, buyer beware. I know nothing about this seller nor have I personally viewed the weapon.

@Wahoo perfect gun for a lady or a young gentleman.
Can you clarify anything about where the seller says the rifle should not be fired due to heat treating issues? Was this a known problem with certain vintages?

“Rifle has a 6 digit serial number of 135151 and should not be fired due to heat treatment issues and was built around 1906 according to the serial number.”

Can you clarify anything about where the seller says the rifle should not be fired due to heat treating issues? Was this a known problem with certain vintages?

“Rifle has a 6 digit serial number of 135151 and should not be fired due to heat treatment issues and was built around 1906 according to the serial number.”

Earlier springfields had heat treating issues that made them explode with hot loads. Some say they should not be fired.

Sedgley was the master. If he selected and built this action, barrel, and stock, he dealt with the heat treat. The seller is just covering his ass.

I suspect this gun would clean up over the course of an afternoon of work and a month of meticulous bore cleaning. Bronze wool and oil will solve most of the exterior finish live rust issues and will blend in some of the bluing discoloration. Paste wax on the stock after a thorough oil soap cleaning and a bit of work with a soft tooth brush in the checkering. The bolt stickiness in the last bit of travel is probably filth.

It’s a lot of gun for a grand in my opinion. If I’m completely wrong and a non-functional idiot, you’ve got a $350 sight and a $400 stock. The worst-case downside on this rifle is a very good mitigating factor.

Earlier springfields had heat treating issues that made them explode with hot loads. Some say they should not be fired.

Sedgley was the master. If he selected and built this action, barrel, and stock, he dealt with the heat treat. The seller is just covering his ass.

I suspect this gun would clean up over the course of an afternoon of work and a month of meticulous bore cleaning. Bronze wool and oil will solve most of the exterior finish live rust issues and will blend in some of the bluing discoloration. Paste wax on the stock after a thorough oil soap cleaning and a bit of work with a soft tooth brush in the checkering. The bolt stickiness in the last bit of travel is probably filth.

It’s a lot of gun for a grand in my opinion. If I’m completely wrong and a non-functional idiot, you’ve got a $350 sight and a $400 stock. The worst-case downside on this rifle is a very good mitigating factor.
So along the same lines of the anemic 7x57 loads to cover asses with the M96 as opposed to 98’s?

Thanks for the clarification!

@Red Leg I suspect you know about Sedgleys. Care to render an opinion on the link to the auction above?
I am not an expert on the Sedgley conversions. It may indeed have been re-heat treated by Sedgley. But what I do know is that the bolt of this rifle has the contour of a rifle that has had no custom treatment, and it is the contour of what is considered an "early" action bolt. The style bolt, in turn, matches the serial number range of the action itself. In fact, it looks straight military (with the obvious exception of the added sights). I would not shoot it.

This is a good discussion of the issue from CMP. Scroll to the second half of the page.

Sedgley did re-heat treat all his custom rifles as far as the history shows, with NRA writing an article in 1926 describing that Mr. Sedgley did re-heat treat all actions for which he built guns. (e.g. his name is on the barrel)

The late Michael Petrov, author of Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century Vol 1&2 wrote this article that goes into a lot of detail on the rifles and references his heat treating of actions.

R. F. Sedgley
Published June 1999
Michael Petrov©

Reginald F. Sedgley started in the firearms business back in 1897 when he was the manager for the Henry M. Kolb gunmaking firm, Sedgley later became the owner in 1916. The business was re-named R.F. Sedgley Inc, at the time they were making the “Baby Hammerless” line of revolvers in caliber .22 & .32 rimfire. The address during this time was 2311 North 16th Street, Philadelphia, and Pennsylvania. The company expanded over the years until they occupied buildings from 2311-17 North 16th Street. As well as the “Baby Hammerless”, Sedgley made police and military equipment in the form of tear gas and flare guns. They made several different products such as a fountain pen gas gun and a .22 conversion for the Colt 1911.

When Sedgley was able to buy low-numbered Springfield actions from the government at what I would imagine would be next-to-nothing prices the idea of a semi-custom sporter took shape. These actions were inspected, annealed, had the markings ground off then re-heat treated and proof tested to 80,000 psi. This re-heat treating service was also offered to members of the NRA who could have their low number gun inspected for free.

A typical Sedgley sporter was made on a Springfield action in caliber .30-06 with a 26” barrel that was made by Winchester. The stock was without cheek piece and made from imported walnut. If you wanted a cheek piece you had to order a better grade of wood that ran from 15 to 30 dollars more; they would not build a rifle with a cheek piece using their plain wood. The stock had a Schnabel fore-end, Winchester steel buttplate, hard rubber pistol grip cap and barrel band sling swivel that went through the stock. The pistol grip and fore-end as well as a small section to the rear of the tang was checkered. All Sedgleys that I have examined show above average inletting and checkering. Sighting equipment was a Lyman 48-receiver sight and a banded ramp front sight with gold or ivory bead. The receiver ring where the serial number had been removed was matted to cut down on glare. The gun was hot blued and the color is a shinny blue that is, in my opinion, not as attractive as rust blue found on most custom sporters of the day.

The Low Numbered Springfield: The first 800,000 Springfield Armory and 285,507 Rock Island Arsenal rifles were made from Armory Class-C steel and were heat treated the same as the Krag rifles before them. The receivers were case hardened. What this means is that the action was very hard on the surface with a softer core. This was supposed to result in a very strong action that had excellent resistance to surface ware and retained a non-brittle interior core. At the armory the new rifles were proof tested to 70,000 lb. The first cartridge for the 1903 Springfield was the 30 Government Model 1903, this was re-designed in 1906 by shortening the case neck by .070”. The first 269,000 rifles had the barrel set back .200” and re-chambered and re-proofed. After 700,000 rifles and fourteen years of trouble-free service several things happened that would doom the low numbered Springfield for all time. Production was stepped up at the Armory during wartime and an unknown number of actions were over hardened (this is sometimes referred to as “Burnt Steel”) and instead of being only surface hardened they were hard all the way through. This resulted in an extremely brittle receiver and I am amazed that any could pass proof testing. About this same time riflemen were trying to find a way to cut down on metal fouling in the bore caused by cupro-nickel bullets. It was found that if you coated your bullets after they were loaded with a grease called Mobilubricant made by Vacuum Oil Company, accuracy improved, barrel life increased and fouling was cut way down. As you can imagine it was not long before the entire cartridge case and chamber wall were coated with grease. A greased chamber increased the backward thrust on the bolt resulting in accelerated headspace problems. As the war progressed several different companies started making brass that was later found to have been improperly annealed. All that was needed for disaster was some excess headspace and instead of a case separation and maybe a splintered stock you had a Model 1903 hand grenade. I know of no recorded fatalities but there were enough serious injures that the heat-treating was changed to a double heat-treat, then later Springfield and Rock Island went to a nickel steel receiver. Springfield Armory double heat treat numbers are from 800,000-1,275,767 at which time they switched to nickel steel. At Rock Island Arsenal the double heat-treat numbers were 285,507-319,921 then they too switched to nickel steel. If you sent your low-numbered Springfield back to the Armory for a new barrel the receiver would also be replaced. This went on for a while but after many complaints from rifleman who did not want their smooth (hard) actions replaced this practice was stopped. If you wanted your receiver replaced you had to ask for it. The NRA reported in 1936 that Sedgley had re-heat treated thousands of these low number actions.

The first ads found for the Sedgley-Springfield sporter appear in 1929. Along with the standard sporter at $65 they introduced a left-hand conversion for $125 and a full stocked Mannlicher type sporter that sold for $100.

Sedgley would remodel any rifle that you sent them. I have seen Sedgley barrels on Mannlicher Schoenauer, Enfield, Winchester 54, Remington Model 30, Mauser and about every single-shot action you can think of. One of their better conversions was on the Winchester Model 1885 single-shot, better known as the Hi-Wall. These were made in caliber .22 LR and .22 Hornet and sold for $71. Sedgley bought up the last of the actions (reportedly 200) from Winchester and made a nice looking and shooting rifle that is very sought-after today. The Sedgley Hi-wall was introduced in 1932. Another Sedgley prize is the shortened 1903 Springfield action made for the .22 Hornet, introduced in 1934 at cost of $105. This shortened rifle was advertised in several calibers but I only know of examples in .22 Hornet and at least one in .218 Bee. These had about one inch removed from the action, bolt, and floorplate, then were rewelded and hardened. These rifles are compact and attractive. A Sedgley innovation was their Springfield Safety Firing Pin and Speed Lock. This was a sleeved firing pin with a “U” locking ring which prevented the cocking rod from leaving the bolt in case of a broken rod or firing pin. In conjunction with this work a hole was drilled in the bottom of the bolt for escaping gas. The Speed Lock was made by using a longer firing pin, which Sedgley claimed increased lock time by 40%. Cost of the Safety Lock was $1.50 and Speed Ignition $5. These rifles equipped with the Speed Locks are easily recognized when looking at the cocking piece. It sticks out ¼” in the fired position. Sedgley also made sporters on the Krag action, offering them in .30-40 Krag for $60 or .25-35 WCF & .250-3000 for $65.

Sedgley offered hunting telescopes made by Nosk, Zeiss, Hensoldt and The Lyman Alaskan when it was introduced. The only mounting system listed in their catalogs was the Griffin & Howe side mount. I have seen a couple of sporters with a rib and express sights. At least twelve Springfield rifles that were made for the Denver Police Department have open (look like Winchester to me) barrel mounted sights. I’m not sure what the Denver police had these rifles made for but when ten of them were sold in 1989 they were still like new. These Denver guns are stamped just in front of the receiver on the barrel “D.P.D.”; three that I have information on are serial numbered 1140, 1149 and 1152.

In 1931 Sedgley introduced their De Luxe Model Springfield Sporter. Catalog description is “Circassian walnut stock with cheek piece and finely checkered Pistol Grip and Fore-end, Buffalo horn tip, Engraved trap buttplate and engraved steel pistol grip cap. Fine line engraving on barrel, breech, and muzzle, also on trigger guard and floor plate with hunting scene, checkered bolt knob and chromium plated bolt.” These sold for $150 In 1932. I suspect the reason these are rarely ever encountered is because if you had $150 to spend on a rifle in 1932 you went to Griffin & Howe, Hoffman Arms or another custom maker. The scroll work is a little big for my taste and the pictured De Luxe has an animal on the floorplate that can best be described as a puppy dog with antlers. Typical engraving looks to be from the “American Stick Figure School of Engraving”.

Their only proprietary cartridge that I know of is the .22-4000 Schnerring-Sedgley, a .257 Roberts (7x57mm) necked to .22 shooting a 46-grain Skisk bullet at 4012 fps. Sedgley offered about every modern chambering then available from the .22 Rim-Fire to the .505 in a Magnum Mauser action but 90% or more are the .30-06.

On March 29, 1938 R.F. Sedgley died. The business continued under the leadership of H.E. Manning, President and A.W. Gregory, Sales Manager. When WW II started the company was involved in war work as were all gun makers of the day. For someone inclined to do the research I think that you would find a connection between the OSS and Sedgley in regard to special weapons. The remaining inventory of Springfield parts and pieces were used up in making 1903 Springfield rifles for guard and plant protection. When the end of the war came there was little material or work for Sedgleys and they closed. Some workmen went on to establish themselves as custom rifle makers. The best known was Paul Jaeger of Jenkintown, Pennsylvania who had learned the gun trade in Germany. Martin Wurzer, a Ferlach-trained metal man and Carl Peterson a Swedish-trained stockmaker, formed the partnership of Wurzer & Peterson in 1945 this located at 5239 N. Fifth St. Philadelphia.

Identifying a Sedgley:

All Sedgleys are marked on the barrel with a one line name and address “R. F. Sedgley Inc. Phila, PA USA”. On the barrel near the receiver is the caliber marking “CAL 30:06” and the Sedgley proof mark is an “S” inside of a circle. The Sedgley serial number on the Springfields is located on the back of the bolt handle and in the bottom of the upper tang. On Sedgley-Springfields that still have the number on the receiver there is no Sedgley serial number. Most of the Sedgleys with the Arsenal number not removed are Rock Island made actions, why these were not ground off I have no idea. About 1/3 of the Sedgleys I have looked at have no Sedgley serial number and the highest Sedgley number logged so far is 1729 * 2008 phone call. Sedgley rifles will also have what I call an assembly number found on most major parts and the stock. These will be a 2,3, or 4-digit number in no sequence. As a matter of fact I have seen the same number repeated on different rifles.

The Sedgley sporting Springfield has always been a bargain, as much today as when it was new. Sometimes referred to as the “Working Man’s G&H”, when first introduced at $65 they had a wide following and it was not until I started putting numbers together that I realized they were made for only about 12 years.
I have owned and shot several Sedgley Springfields over the years and never found one with headspace problems or anything else seriously wrong with it. I have not found a report of a single failure of an unmodified Sedgley-Springfield. In the American Rifleman June 1947 there is a picture and a report of a Sedgley-Springfield with a penny size chunk blown out of the top of the receiver. Investigation revealed that the gun had been rebarreled, four holes had been drilled all the way through the receiver ring to mount a scope and the pressure of the fired cartridge was in excess of 100,000 pounds. If you know of ANY Sedgley failures please let me know.
There seem to be two camps when it comes to the Sedgley sporters. In one camp the Sedgley-Springfields live under the black cloud of the low-number Springfields. At times I see these for sale at a price that would not buy a gunstock blank of the wood that it’s stocked with. In the other camp these are prized rifles and will be passed on to the next generation.

Sedgley did re-heat treat all his custom rifles as far as the history shows, with NRA writing an article in 1926 describing that Mr. Sedgley did re-heat treat all actions for which he built guns. (e.g. his name is on the barrel)

The late Michael Petrov, author of Custom Gunmakers of the 20th Century Vol 1&2 wrote this article that goes into a lot of detail on the rifles and references his heat treating of actions.

R. F. Sedgley
Published June 1999
Michael Petrov©

Reginald F. Sedgley started in the firearms business back in 1897 when he was the manager for the Henry M. Kolb gunmaking firm, Sedgley later became the owner in 1916. The business was re-named R.F. Sedgley Inc, at the time they were making the “Baby Hammerless” line of revolvers in caliber .22 & .32 rimfire. The address during this time was 2311 North 16th Street, Philadelphia, and Pennsylvania. The company expanded over the years until they occupied buildings from 2311-17 North 16th Street. As well as the “Baby Hammerless”, Sedgley made police and military equipment in the form of tear gas and flare guns. They made several different products such as a fountain pen gas gun and a .22 conversion for the Colt 1911.

When Sedgley was able to buy low-numbered Springfield actions from the government at what I would imagine would be next-to-nothing prices the idea of a semi-custom sporter took shape. These actions were inspected, annealed, had the markings ground off then re-heat treated and proof tested to 80,000 psi. This re-heat treating service was also offered to members of the NRA who could have their low number gun inspected for free.

A typical Sedgley sporter was made on a Springfield action in caliber .30-06 with a 26” barrel that was made by Winchester. The stock was without cheek piece and made from imported walnut. If you wanted a cheek piece you had to order a better grade of wood that ran from 15 to 30 dollars more; they would not build a rifle with a cheek piece using their plain wood. The stock had a Schnabel fore-end, Winchester steel buttplate, hard rubber pistol grip cap and barrel band sling swivel that went through the stock. The pistol grip and fore-end as well as a small section to the rear of the tang was checkered. All Sedgleys that I have examined show above average inletting and checkering. Sighting equipment was a Lyman 48-receiver sight and a banded ramp front sight with gold or ivory bead. The receiver ring where the serial number had been removed was matted to cut down on glare. The gun was hot blued and the color is a shinny blue that is, in my opinion, not as attractive as rust blue found on most custom sporters of the day.

The Low Numbered Springfield: The first 800,000 Springfield Armory and 285,507 Rock Island Arsenal rifles were made from Armory Class-C steel and were heat treated the same as the Krag rifles before them. The receivers were case hardened. What this means is that the action was very hard on the surface with a softer core. This was supposed to result in a very strong action that had excellent resistance to surface ware and retained a non-brittle interior core. At the armory the new rifles were proof tested to 70,000 lb. The first cartridge for the 1903 Springfield was the 30 Government Model 1903, this was re-designed in 1906 by shortening the case neck by .070”. The first 269,000 rifles had the barrel set back .200” and re-chambered and re-proofed. After 700,000 rifles and fourteen years of trouble-free service several things happened that would doom the low numbered Springfield for all time. Production was stepped up at the Armory during wartime and an unknown number of actions were over hardened (this is sometimes referred to as “Burnt Steel”) and instead of being only surface hardened they were hard all the way through. This resulted in an extremely brittle receiver and I am amazed that any could pass proof testing. About this same time riflemen were trying to find a way to cut down on metal fouling in the bore caused by cupro-nickel bullets. It was found that if you coated your bullets after they were loaded with a grease called Mobilubricant made by Vacuum Oil Company, accuracy improved, barrel life increased and fouling was cut way down. As you can imagine it was not long before the entire cartridge case and chamber wall were coated with grease. A greased chamber increased the backward thrust on the bolt resulting in accelerated headspace problems. As the war progressed several different companies started making brass that was later found to have been improperly annealed. All that was needed for disaster was some excess headspace and instead of a case separation and maybe a splintered stock you had a Model 1903 hand grenade. I know of no recorded fatalities but there were enough serious injures that the heat-treating was changed to a double heat-treat, then later Springfield and Rock Island went to a nickel steel receiver. Springfield Armory double heat treat numbers are from 800,000-1,275,767 at which time they switched to nickel steel. At Rock Island Arsenal the double heat-treat numbers were 285,507-319,921 then they too switched to nickel steel. If you sent your low-numbered Springfield back to the Armory for a new barrel the receiver would also be replaced. This went on for a while but after many complaints from rifleman who did not want their smooth (hard) actions replaced this practice was stopped. If you wanted your receiver replaced you had to ask for it. The NRA reported in 1936 that Sedgley had re-heat treated thousands of these low number actions.

The first ads found for the Sedgley-Springfield sporter appear in 1929. Along with the standard sporter at $65 they introduced a left-hand conversion for $125 and a full stocked Mannlicher type sporter that sold for $100.

Sedgley would remodel any rifle that you sent them. I have seen Sedgley barrels on Mannlicher Schoenauer, Enfield, Winchester 54, Remington Model 30, Mauser and about every single-shot action you can think of. One of their better conversions was on the Winchester Model 1885 single-shot, better known as the Hi-Wall. These were made in caliber .22 LR and .22 Hornet and sold for $71. Sedgley bought up the last of the actions (reportedly 200) from Winchester and made a nice looking and shooting rifle that is very sought-after today. The Sedgley Hi-wall was introduced in 1932. Another Sedgley prize is the shortened 1903 Springfield action made for the .22 Hornet, introduced in 1934 at cost of $105. This shortened rifle was advertised in several calibers but I only know of examples in .22 Hornet and at least one in .218 Bee. These had about one inch removed from the action, bolt, and floorplate, then were rewelded and hardened. These rifles are compact and attractive. A Sedgley innovation was their Springfield Safety Firing Pin and Speed Lock. This was a sleeved firing pin with a “U” locking ring which prevented the cocking rod from leaving the bolt in case of a broken rod or firing pin. In conjunction with this work a hole was drilled in the bottom of the bolt for escaping gas. The Speed Lock was made by using a longer firing pin, which Sedgley claimed increased lock time by 40%. Cost of the Safety Lock was $1.50 and Speed Ignition $5. These rifles equipped with the Speed Locks are easily recognized when looking at the cocking piece. It sticks out ¼” in the fired position. Sedgley also made sporters on the Krag action, offering them in .30-40 Krag for $60 or .25-35 WCF & .250-3000 for $65.

Sedgley offered hunting telescopes made by Nosk, Zeiss, Hensoldt and The Lyman Alaskan when it was introduced. The only mounting system listed in their catalogs was the Griffin & Howe side mount. I have seen a couple of sporters with a rib and express sights. At least twelve Springfield rifles that were made for the Denver Police Department have open (look like Winchester to me) barrel mounted sights. I’m not sure what the Denver police had these rifles made for but when ten of them were sold in 1989 they were still like new. These Denver guns are stamped just in front of the receiver on the barrel “D.P.D.”; three that I have information on are serial numbered 1140, 1149 and 1152.

In 1931 Sedgley introduced their De Luxe Model Springfield Sporter. Catalog description is “Circassian walnut stock with cheek piece and finely checkered Pistol Grip and Fore-end, Buffalo horn tip, Engraved trap buttplate and engraved steel pistol grip cap. Fine line engraving on barrel, breech, and muzzle, also on trigger guard and floor plate with hunting scene, checkered bolt knob and chromium plated bolt.” These sold for $150 In 1932. I suspect the reason these are rarely ever encountered is because if you had $150 to spend on a rifle in 1932 you went to Griffin & Howe, Hoffman Arms or another custom maker. The scroll work is a little big for my taste and the pictured De Luxe has an animal on the floorplate that can best be described as a puppy dog with antlers. Typical engraving looks to be from the “American Stick Figure School of Engraving”.

Their only proprietary cartridge that I know of is the .22-4000 Schnerring-Sedgley, a .257 Roberts (7x57mm) necked to .22 shooting a 46-grain Skisk bullet at 4012 fps. Sedgley offered about every modern chambering then available from the .22 Rim-Fire to the .505 in a Magnum Mauser action but 90% or more are the .30-06.

On March 29, 1938 R.F. Sedgley died. The business continued under the leadership of H.E. Manning, President and A.W. Gregory, Sales Manager. When WW II started the company was involved in war work as were all gun makers of the day. For someone inclined to do the research I think that you would find a connection between the OSS and Sedgley in regard to special weapons. The remaining inventory of Springfield parts and pieces were used up in making 1903 Springfield rifles for guard and plant protection. When the end of the war came there was little material or work for Sedgleys and they closed. Some workmen went on to establish themselves as custom rifle makers. The best known was Paul Jaeger of Jenkintown, Pennsylvania who had learned the gun trade in Germany. Martin Wurzer, a Ferlach-trained metal man and Carl Peterson a Swedish-trained stockmaker, formed the partnership of Wurzer & Peterson in 1945 this located at 5239 N. Fifth St. Philadelphia.

Identifying a Sedgley:

All Sedgleys are marked on the barrel with a one line name and address “R. F. Sedgley Inc. Phila, PA USA”. On the barrel near the receiver is the caliber marking “CAL 30:06” and the Sedgley proof mark is an “S” inside of a circle. The Sedgley serial number on the Springfields is located on the back of the bolt handle and in the bottom of the upper tang. On Sedgley-Springfields that still have the number on the receiver there is no Sedgley serial number. Most of the Sedgleys with the Arsenal number not removed are Rock Island made actions, why these were not ground off I have no idea. About 1/3 of the Sedgleys I have looked at have no Sedgley serial number and the highest Sedgley number logged so far is 1729 * 2008 phone call. Sedgley rifles will also have what I call an assembly number found on most major parts and the stock. These will be a 2,3, or 4-digit number in no sequence. As a matter of fact I have seen the same number repeated on different rifles.

The Sedgley sporting Springfield has always been a bargain, as much today as when it was new. Sometimes referred to as the “Working Man’s G&H”, when first introduced at $65 they had a wide following and it was not until I started putting numbers together that I realized they were made for only about 12 years.
I have owned and shot several Sedgley Springfields over the years and never found one with headspace problems or anything else seriously wrong with it. I have not found a report of a single failure of an unmodified Sedgley-Springfield. In the American Rifleman June 1947 there is a picture and a report of a Sedgley-Springfield with a penny size chunk blown out of the top of the receiver. Investigation revealed that the gun had been rebarreled, four holes had been drilled all the way through the receiver ring to mount a scope and the pressure of the fired cartridge was in excess of 100,000 pounds. If you know of ANY Sedgley failures please let me know.
There seem to be two camps when it comes to the Sedgley sporters. In one camp the Sedgley-Springfields live under the black cloud of the low-number Springfields. At times I see these for sale at a price that would not buy a gunstock blank of the wood that it’s stocked with. In the other camp these are prized rifles and will be passed on to the next generation.
Absolutely could be the case. I know nothing about what Sedgley did or did not do to those bolts and actions. I do know that bolt and action combination in original form is inherently dangerous.

@JPetroni I am familiar with the JP Smithson system. It’s exquisite of the utmost quality. Very obscure by virtue of it being completely custom, but yes it is amazing. Not sure how many guns exist with the system integrated into the square bridges but probably very, very few. No concept of what such a system costs, probably free with purchase of one of his $50k rifles?
Rookhawk,
a friend has a 505 with the Smithson rings, he did say that they are a bit awkward to remove. I think he said basically what you did about needing a 3rd hand.

Rookhawk,
a friend has a 505 with the Smithson rings, he did say that they are a bit awkward to remove. I think he said basically what you did about needing a 3rd hand.

To Smithson’s credit, his tolerances are so tight that I’m told if you have much oil at all on the mounts it creates a suction fit that is really hard to remove. Perfect tolerances, just make sure to use a thin oil like Kroil or you won’t budge them!

There are a few Sauer 100s in 9.3x62 up on gun broker right now

Search phrase to use: Sauer 100, Sauer S1s936 100 Classic Xt 9.3x62

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!