Gold Plated Rifling - The ultimate Double Rifle luxury!

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Okay...not really.

I've been shooting my heym 470NE with the Nosler Solids that "appear" to be brass monometal or an alloy that looks much more like brass than copper.

After shooting TEN rounds through the gun, the rifling looks gold plated. After an hour of using wipeout foam, then a brush with a patch around it coated in kroil and JB Paste...guess what? There is still brass in the rifling near the muzzle.

Is this a problem? Do I need to go after it aggressively? Am I using the wrong chemicals to clean my bore?

After 1.5-2 hours on cleaning, its still not perfect. Crazy.

try proshot copper solvent 1v.
it works by soaking, but after putting 2 wet patches through the barrels, use a nylon brush soaked with the stuff a little.
this seems to speed it up.
even with the best solvents, it might take a bit of j.b. at the end to finalize things.
chrome moly bores of factory descent are the worst for this sort of problem, particularly when the barrels are not run in.
some bullets make the problem worse.
bruce.

try proshot copper solvent 1v.
it works by soaking, but after putting 2 wet patches through the barrels, use a nylon brush soaked with the stuff a little.
this seems to speed it up.
even with the best solvents, it might take a bit of j.b. at the end to finalize things.
chrome moly bores of factory descent are the worst for this sort of problem, particularly when the barrels are not run in.
some bullets make the problem worse.
bruce.

have a source for plastic brushes for a .470? I couldn’t source any.

Birchwood Casey .45/12mm brushes.

Rookhawk, just went to BoreTech's website. they have jags and Nylon brushes for 50 BMG. You may have to consider using a 45 Cal Jag with multiple patches. that should do the trick as well.

A couple options, BoreTech copper remover or try a .45 brush with a BoreSMith triangle patch and J.B. Borepaste.

Triangle patch link, they can also be purchased on Amazon.

http://store.rigelproducts.com/section5.html

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 3.21.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 3.21.57 PM.png
    632.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 3.21.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 3.21.58 PM.png
    807.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Now you're talking!! Let us know how things work out.

I use Gold Medalion copper and lead remover, it is a greyish stuff containing som grinding paste, it looks like muddy waters.
Soak a patch oush it thru the barrel several times and repeat this until the patch is not dirty anymore.
Check the bore if not all is gone repeat until everything is gone, this work well for my 470NE.

I've had great luck with KG12 for normal fouling, but if it is really bad shape, I would use Montana Extreme Copper Killer. Just be careful, do use that stuff on your kitchen table in the middle of winter, it is really strong stuff.

The higher polish you can get on the rifling should help out in the future. I was told that’s why a lot of barrels are polished now from the factory and custom barrel makers. Made since to me.
Best of luck!

Were you able to get all of the copper out of your 470? If not you may have to get some BoreTech CU+2 or KG-12 when you return from your hunt. Good Luck!!

kg12 is not bad, particularly used alternately in conjunction with kg1, which is an abrasive.
kg12 is also aided by use of a bronze brush, which will not last long.
I have used this for years for running in fclass barrels in the hope of taking less time.
the boretech products are just so so, and do not as the label suggests leave them in the barrel.
I ruined a broughton 6.5 super lr barrel doing that. stainless steel, but black inside.
the proshot product is the fastest of those when a nylon brush is used.
you don't need to brush a lot, mostly soak.
I have not used the montana extreme product, but have heard it is particularly effective with high ammonia.
bruce.

+1 on BoreTech copper remover, let it soak a bit, no need for elbow grease. Sweet’s 7.62 cooper solvent is effective too but is ammonia based meaning it stinks and is somewhat corrosive.

Tip on the cooper remover, you know there’s none left when patches stop coming out blue. Unless you’re using brass jags and brushes that is.

Sweets 7.62. That stuff is POWERFUL. I never leave it in for more than 5 minutes.

Try "robla solo mil"

HWL

Rook, is it affecting accuracy?

Other than the visual, if it’s not affecting accuracy I don’t think I’d bother with it. A lot more damage can be done over cleaning a barrel than shooting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg