Gold Medal Trophies

I would say first impala is very good and gold medal class. The blue wildbeast to me looks alittle below avg. as well as the second impala.

Not to ruin your post but with research you can find what you want on more then some large area. Many places over 3500 and up to 12,000 acres can have what you want with enough days to do the kind of hunt. Time is what it takes to get the gold medal type trophys. Has nothing to with what day fees are charged unless you want to hunt record book stuff then some will charge more for day fees. There is a big difference with taking medal class animals and hunting for a top record book animal.

AS for put and take hunts nothing scream that to me more then a ear tag in the animals ear. I know pieter at paw print has one area for monster blue wildbeast but they do cost more.They are out and roaming a ranch not stocked the day before you get there.The owner made an area years ago with monster blue wildbeast so like most places they were stocked to start a breeding project.Years later he lets a few get hunted each year. Talking like 30" wide and way better then that.

You already have a great impala but I did see a few in the limpo area alittle bigger then the one you have now.I would say it will be harder to take a better impala then wildbeast for you now.

Good luck in your search and be proud of the animals you have already taken.

When booking my first African hunt, I was told to expect a few real good trophies, a few that might be considered sub-par and the rest good respectable trophies.... Ironically one of my favorites is about a 12 1/2" cape bushbuck, not any award winner but it was tough hunting and I had almost lost hope of getting a bushbuck when we found this guy at very last light. He has a pretty coat and is an old guy with worn horns... He is special enough to me to spend extra for a special mount. My wife got a Gold Medal Black Wildebeest and he is a dandy, but not the old cracked up bosses some have. I would say he was in his prime.... We have a couple other real dandies as well... And my first African animal is a Moutain Reedbuck that is just on the edge of making RW. (have not had him scored for RW).

On our hunt it was just luck, although we had enough days to pass on smaller critters and we had a PH who set his standards high but realistic... He would say things like, "if you were on a 4-5 day hunt or even a week, we would have to think about taking that one, but you have enough days that we can pass and likely do better." So schedule enough days!

As others have stated, if you go after them, they are doable... Or if you hunt hard and book enough days in good areas, you should have good opportunity for Gold Medal SCI critters. I think it also help to hunt endemic animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg