Going to Zimbabwe After All...

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I just got an email from my outfitter in Zimbabwe, he said Zimbabwe was opening up, and Emirates will start flying into Harare August 1.

Onto WhatsApp right away as I had not seen any news from Emirates. His comment was that the PH association asked Emirates directly and that was the answer.

I went on their web site, and sure enough from Chicago one could leave on July 30 and arrive at Harare the afternoon of August 1.

I asked and received an acceptable deal on a tuskless elephant add on as well. So, assuming everything lines up I will be gone for a 21 day hunt for leopard, buffalo, tuskless elephant and miscellaneous PG.

Stateside I have to get a Cholera shot and get on a regimen of malaria medicine before the trip. Should be able to do it late July.

I also need to get the 4457 for the rifles I will take in and start the CITES paperwork with the broker that will be handling the trophies within the next month or so (was planning on it at that time for both).

Now, it will be a bit of an hassle as I had business tickets with Turkish airlines to J'burg and the SAA to Harare. So, will get a refund for those and buy the business tickets with Emirates.

Crossing fingers that this will really happen. My viewpoint on this whole Covid 19 thing was that if the airlines fly then so would I. Carpe Diem.

Tanks, I am so pleased to hear that, which area are you hunting? It will be a great season, I am already sensing an air of optimism and relief here. Go well. Did you know that Emirates also flies through Harare, also Ethiopian?

Awesome! Jealous! Best of luck

Great hope it comes together for you.......If/when hopefully more countries open up this year, then the Emirates etc flights look like the only option.... As been told SA not reopening to international tourists till Feb 2021....so can't see airlines bothering to reopen the Joburg routes....hope that changes as bad for the whole region.....

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/05/27...international-tourists-back-in-february-2021/

Sounds like a grand time coming up! Good luck!

Good Luck enjoy the trip.

Excellent news! Emirates is a very well run airline

Good news, at least there is hope in 2020 for some of us here on AH!

I’m going in October. The problem is that for me the best option is via Johannesburg. They say they will stay closed to foreigners until 2021. I hope they change they mind

@Tanks are you sure about this....?.... As asked friend in Zim and he said Zim borders are closed and the Harare part of flight is only for returning citizens and not tourists ...an 8 day quarantine for anyone arriving is still in place.... Make sure you have it correct before buying more flights....hope am wrong... but...

@Tanks are you sure about this....?.... As asked friend in Zim and he said Zim borders are closed and the Harare part of flight is only for returning citizens and not tourists ...an 8 day quarantine for anyone arriving is still in place.... Make sure you have it correct before buying more flights....hope am wrong... but...

This is what I was told through my outfitter and they got their info from the PH organization. I am NOT buying any more flights until Zim is officially open which is supposed to be soon without any quarantine requirements.

I’m going in October. The problem is that for me the best option is via Johannesburg. They say they will stay closed to foreigners until 2021. I hope they change they mind

Even the way I would go is a pain as I have to transit through Chicago as Emirates has only one destination to the USA at this time. I hope they open the LA route for the Emirates flight.

They also have restrictions, no carryon luggage, just a laptop bag. I do have a small 5.11 backpack that I will put all my electronics, a change of clothes, gun belt, ammo carrier etc.. Then if something happens to my luggage I can still hunt. I am more concerned about luggage getting lost in Chicago than Dubai. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I bought my tickets to Zim in January, way before that covid 19 thing. So all I can do is waiting

Tanks............does Emirates fly Dubai to Harare direct, or have a stop elsewhere in Africa? Hope all goes as planned for you.....................FWB

Tanks............does Emirates fly Dubai to Harare direct, or have a stop elsewhere in Africa? Hope all goes as planned for you.....................FWB

They fly direct from Dubai. On the way back they stop somewhere for fuel for about an hour. So, it would be LAX->Dubai->Harare and Harare->Fuel Stop -> Dubai -> LAX. Only 2.5 hours on ground at Dubai at terminal 3 on the way back.

Going to wait for official word from Zimbabwe before booking any more flights. I wish they were part of Star Alliance, I have close to a million miles on Turkish Airlines that I can use to book flights instead will have to pay cash.

Logistics will be to stay at a B&B next to Buzz's house after arrival and leave for camp early the following morning (6 hour drive). So, I will have two full nights of sleep before the hunt actually begins. Do the reverse on the way back.

I was originally going to have a girlfriend fly to Dubai for a few days of R&R after the hunt, but now that I added an elephant and a week to the hunt that takes priority ;).

The next official statement concerning reopening Zimbabwe is scheduled for 7 June, probably late afternoon. I believe anything else is pure speculation.
The quarantine center at Plumtree was burned down a few days ago.

I just got an email from my outfitter in Zimbabwe, he said Zimbabwe was opening up, and Emirates will start flying into Harare August 1.

Onto WhatsApp right away as I had not seen any news from Emirates. His comment was that the PH association asked Emirates directly and that was the answer.

I went on their web site, and sure enough from Chicago one could leave on July 30 and arrive at Harare the afternoon of August 1.

I asked and received an acceptable deal on a tuskless elephant add on as well. So, assuming everything lines up I will be gone for a 21 day hunt for leopard, buffalo, tuskless elephant and miscellaneous PG.

Stateside I have to get a Cholera shot and get on a regimen of malaria medicine before the trip. Should be able to do it late July.

I also need to get the 4457 for the rifles I will take in and start the CITES paperwork with the broker that will be handling the trophies within the next month or so (was planning on it at that time for both).

Now, it will be a bit of an hassle as I had business tickets with Turkish airlines to J'burg and the SAA to Harare. So, will get a refund for those and buy the business tickets with Emirates.

Crossing fingers that this will really happen. My viewpoint on this whole Covid 19 thing was that if the airlines fly then so would I. Carpe Diem.
Wow sounds like a great hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!