AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
RSA
I am quickly approaching my departure dates for a Red Stag & Blackbuck hunt in Argentina. I arrive there early March 4 (Red eye overnight flight) and leave late on the 11th. Long story short, a package hunt that was postponed for the last 2 seasons due to Covid travel restrictions has led to an opportunity where I was tabbed to go in the place of another who couldn't make the 2022 dates work.

I was asked to go in early January, and with the limited notice I am scrambling just a bit to be sure I'm prepared.

With that, does anyone have any good insight for hunting the La Pampa region in early March? Temperatures, terrain, packing recommendations (boots, clothing, gear, etc), or any other info?

Also, any experience with getting a shuttle type service from Buenos Aires to Santa Rosa? I see that there are domestic flights between those 2 airports, but only 1 per day and late night. The Outfitter is working on a possible charter plane they work with, pending the number of passengers. ... if we do have some extra time in Buenos Aires (0930 to about 1930 local time) between arrival and domestic flight, any ideas on a good way to spend a half day in B.A.? We will not be traveling with firearms, likely just a single check bag and carry on each.

I look forward to any details my AH brethren can provide. Also, we will be using rifles for hire at the lodge - any preferences from the following options if I have a choice? 308, 30.06, 300 mag, 375 H&H for Red Stag; add 223 as a blackbuck option. Of those options, only the 375 is one I have no shooting experience with.

It's most exciting that we will be among the first hunters (at least foreigners) in nearly 2 years to be on this area and I'm hoping we get some great opportunities. I'll be sure to take pictures and write up a report to share when I return!

So, save me a good one - with crowns! My son and I are headed over at the end of March. Your outfitter should be arranging your shuttle between the two airports for your domestic flight? But I suspect you will find there isn't a lot of extra time on the way down. I am surprised that you are not having to overnight in BA on the way home. If you do, then the following day, prior to your evening flight back home, is the time to go shopping. Get a hotel (soon) in walking distance of Florida St. You can spend a great day shopping and eating along it. Prices are fire sale inexpensive.

So, save me a good one - with crowns! My son and I are headed over at the end of March. Your outfitter should be arranging your shuttle between the two airports for your domestic flight? But I suspect you will find there isn't a lot of extra time on the way down. I am surprised that you are not having to overnight in BA on the way home. If you do, then the following day, prior to your evening flight back home, is the time to go shopping. Get a hotel (soon) in walking distance of Florida St. You can spend a great day shopping and eating along it. Prices are fire sale inexpensive.
Outfitter only has plans to pick up up from Santa Rosa Airport, it's our job to get there on the way in. He *might* have a charter plane to get us from BA to SR and/or directly to their ranch but he has been non committal on availability of this service and I'd rather not leave it to chance.

For the return, we fly out of BA at 10pm and outfitter is arranging travel to have us there.

I'll be sure to scope one out that has beautiful crowns and leave him ready for you!

We had a similar trip booked for 2020. It too was canceled because of Covid. We had Travel Express make our flight arrangements. Like Red Leg said it is best to book an over-night in B.A. and do a little sightseeing and shopping. Our outfitter was responsible for getting us from the International to the Regional Airport in BA as well as picking us up in Santa Rosa. If you'd like to give me a call send me a PM with your phone number.

Leaving April 2nd for Argentina. Red stag, blackbuck, water buffalo and maybe a boar. Outfitter is taking care of all transfers and transportation.

I think there may be a few companies in BA who will help you with transfers between the International and Regional airports, make hotel arrangements in BA if needed etc. you can try to reach out to Alex and Leticia Kostovestly on WhatsApp at +54 9 11 4470323 for assistance as this is what they do as their business. I know of a few Argentinian outfitters who use them. I have used them twice on fly fishing trips to the Patagonia area and they are very helpful.

I have been to Santa Rosa in June. Country is flat. Not real cold then. March much warmer, take a warm jacket and layer just in case you get a cold snap. It’s early fall as March is our October but your at low elevation. I would take the flights as extremely cheap. The in flight is 8:20 pm and probably not much more than an hour to estancia. Your return flight is late but many hotels 5 minutes from Domestic airport. I stayed at the Ayers de Recoleta Libertad ( cheap very decent) near everything. Walk to stores , restaurants, mall. Cab it to Florida Street- maybe 15 minutes.I will staying their in May this year as I am hunting in Bariloche for rams and boar and then duck hunting a few hours from Buenos Aires. Just cab it from Ezee to Newberry. It’s not that far but traffic. An hour probably. They have coach buses that travel at night as it is a good 9 hour drive and you sleep, but domestic flight is the way to go. Charter gonna cost way more I’ll bet. Just trust me on that one. Where I duck is on the road from Buenos Aires to Santa Rosa 4 hours. Two lane road through ag and pasture land. Flat. PM if you want- easier to talk on phone. I’ve shot stag, boar, Blackbuck. I’d use the 308 or 06 if it were me. My wife also shot the same animals with outfitters 06. All return flights leave Buenos Aires late 8 or 9pm. You want to go to the cemetery -Evita-Close to that hotel. Never done Tango shows. It’s in a bad neighborhood, but most people go to it.

Thanks to all for the replies, PMs and help. It is greatly appreciated and has provided me with a lot of information. Since my original post, I've learned that the Outfitter will be providing shuttle service between airports and other assistance in coordinating necessary travel while in-country, and I have all the arrangements set.

Now it's just the packing list to settle. Anyone with knowledge of the terrain there feel free to weigh in. Any reason I should pack my snake boots (either for snakes or the tall boot protection from thorns/burrs)? Is it a lot of spot and stalk, or sitting to glass/wait? I hate to over-pack, but don't want to be under-prepared when I have basically any gear I could need.

Thanks again to all. AH is such a great resource!

Tbitty who are you hunting with. Outfitter or name of ranch. I hunted with TGB.

Ya good place. Free range and big ranch.They donate a lot to SCI. Anyways the country is flat with some dense Caldron forests around Santa Rosa area. I wasn’t their during roar so we just sneaked around till we bumped into a stag. The roar will be a lot more exciting. The sage brush hills are low-might want to take a bipod I could have used one for the Blackbuck. Their small at 200+! I used their shooting sticks. Any hiking boot works there easy walking. It reminds me of Wyoming sage country just dense forest areas here and there. If you shoot buffalo make a good shot as they lost one a client wounded while I was there. Outside of stag in forest everything else reminded me of an antelope hunt in sage. We used a blind at water holes for the pigs we shot. Shot one at night because they we’re not coming in at sunset. I would take a green light as the guide said they spook with a white light. Shot mine by half moonlight only. One of the toughest shots ever. Lucky high shoulder anchored him. I was late June so hit a few days of real cold weather and lots of wind but mid-day was Not bad. I took real tree green and brown camo shirts depending on whether forest or sagebrush species. Any pant works. My jacket and vest were western camo. I would wear whatever camo you got. It’s going to be way warmer in March. The Recoleta cemetery -(2-3 ) hours can be killed their - and Florida Street shopping great, upscale Mall was really expensive but unreal murals, they were only thing the wife and I did in two days. It’s not a tough hunt. The meat was outstanding and they serve 1.5 pounds per person at the table. Ridiculous but as good as I’ve had anywhere. Sausages were great. No fruit some salad. All meat, vegetables and potato’s where I was. The only thing I didn’t like was how late they eat dinner 9:30 or 10. Your at good place enjoy.

We shot all pigs late. The bird hunting is unreal. We shot the pigeons where we big game hunted in Santa Rosa (3 morning shoots probably 400 two guys ) Ducks ridiculous.

FBE9B987-A8CD-4443-8584-4B70ED570F8F.jpeg
06CC30FE-53EE-4FB6-8616-BBA9F6BA3906.jpeg
6FB8DCEB-3A4A-4735-8CD6-C1D27D49C8B3.jpeg
628EED3F-2181-49EA-8AE6-E8C0227528EE.jpeg
D4C35D34-C2C9-4852-A476-0F538D13E54A.jpeg
1503D39A-6094-4389-9794-6109A535EE59.jpeg
2A214D73-6F36-4E2F-89C1-5F1615D7C315.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tbty...........I hope your trip goes well, and that you write a report. I have a special love for Argentina, and have been there several times. I have only hunted near Santa Rosa once, in 2005, and regrettably, the estancia owner has retired and stopped his hunting operation. I went to the Western Outdoor Expo in SLC with friends, hoping to book with a new operator, but didn't find much. I drove to Santa Rosa once, 9 hours, and loved every bit of it....my first time seeing Argentina....but that drive is not for everyone, nor would I recommend it for someone not fluent in Spanish. Let me know what led you to choose your specific outfitter, and later how it went. I could tell you 100 fun touristy things to do in BA, but if you're an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan you probably already know what they center on, and if you're not, you will no doubt have other interests. In any case, best of luck. (Matt....that Blackbuck in your photo is unworldly......well done!).....FWB

Flat water Bill,
I don’t have much time this trip for tourist stuff. But if you could tell me your best 5 maybe I can hit 1 or 2. Been to cemetery and Florida St.
thanks
Matt

Hey, Matt....it's a deal....will PM you soon............just tell me more about where you got that stunner BB and we'll trade info.........all the best.......................FW Bill

I got the blackbuck with TGB safaris in2015 on a donated hunt. Alejandro Trigo was and still is owner. I hunted in June because I also wanted to duck hunt with another outfitter. He naturally said ok because off season for him. Well he had 25,000 acres of free range which we hunted with no success for 5 days because I wanted any free range stag and we never saw one- I did not not how tough free range hunting was outside rut!! We wound up shooting everything except my Blackbuck in his 2k fenced area. I told him I wasn’t going to shoot a Blackbuck unless it was at the ranch where Craig Boddington had hunted. I read about it in one of his stories and that’s why I bought hunt figuring I would get stags and Blackbucks their. Long story short on the last day of ten-day hunt he let me go their. It was a paradise ranch all 100k total free-range. Saw boar, stags and numerous big Blackbuck . He just didn’t want to pay that owner his share of take and it was an 1.5 hour drive. Anyways it was only “real trophy I hunted” besides boars which were free range. I’m not big fan of high fence hunting unless big property. I would not recommend his outfit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois