Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAGA, SA Hunters
Hunted
RSA, Zim & Zambia
Hi guys,

Anyone used a go pro on an African hunt? Trying to decide if it's worth the admin to try it on my upcoming hunt?

Concern is that the target will be too distant for the camera to actually produce an image of any value?

Look forward to comments from anyone with some experience with a go pro.

Marc,
I have used the GoPro when shooting clays and it does ok out to about 30m or so. After that its hard to see the clays on playback.
The image is pretty clear so i am guessing a buff will be easy enough to spot out to 50m or so with enough detail to make it worthwhile.
Cheers

Used it once. Not excited enough about the result to remember it on every hunt.
I keep trying to find ways to use it though.

Anything "close" to provide clips for a final edited video product will be fine. POV stuff.
Telling the whole story. Not good enough.
You'll know what is in the image but everyone else will struggle to identify the "dot" you are shooting at unless it is very close.

I did use it on that hunt, and got some great footage. Up close with Buff, its often tough to distinguish the buff, but that's because they ARE tough to distinguish!

So I would say if its a great way to hang onto the memories!!!

:A Big Hello:

I used one on our hunt a few weeks ago. Gopro is definitely good for pov, stalking footage, selfie footage with a selfie stick, etc.

Don't expect to ever see any animals on the gopro. Now you can zoom your video in using the gopro editing software, but you'll need to be in 4k to do that effectively, which burns up battery quick!

Overall, the gopro is best used as a supplemental camera to a video camera that can zoom.

One cool thing- we arranged to have our hunt video taped. Our cameraman used a bunch of my gopro footage of our travel over, stalks, etc. to add to his video footage, making a great final product after editting.

GoPro works well for secondary footage as has been mentioned. Tacticam makes an excellent camera designed for hunting that works like a champ. I have one and it takes high def video and does great for taking video of animals out to 150 yards. It also comes with gun/bow mounts when you buy it. Excellent product.

I did use it on that hunt, and got some great footage. Up close with Buff, its often tough to distinguish the buff, but that's because they ARE tough to distinguish!

So I would say if its a great way to hang onto the memories!!!

:A Big Hello:
show us the footage...
I'll be in Pta for a couple of days next month, you around?

Do you already have the GoPro camera their are others out there that are not so wide angle ones.
The Tactacam camera will bring in the trophy closer and I think is a better camera. Haven't had a lot of luck with GoPro's.
Check this out.
https://www.tactacam.com/technology/

I've used one before, but as many have said, the ultra-wide angle nature of it renders it almost useless for normal hunting situations. I saw one used once on a dog as part of a bongo hunt. Got some cool footage, but I doubt any human being would get that close to any live animal, let alone a bongo!

Personally, after the one hunt, I've left it at home.

Do you already have the GoPro camera their are others out there that are not so wide angle ones.
The Tactacam camera will bring in the trophy closer and I think is a better camera. Haven't had a lot of luck with GoPro's.
Check this out.
I do - thanks for the advice. I am going to look now. Much appreciated!

Check this out.
You just sold me - purchasing today!!

show us the footage...
I'll be in Pta for a couple of days next month, you around?
Travelling a lot, but give me a call.

you got my number Pete!

I tried using my go pro in New Zealand, but as others have said, the wide angle makes the animal close ups while hunting futile. On the other hand, the broad based landscapes and other video as Ann and I did sightseeing was good. Now, I have to figure out the time to edit the pieces together to make a coherent video. I may reach out to a local university and see if a student in the production major might want some on the side work to do the editing for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois