Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
US and South Africa
Hello AH friends,

At the risk of grinding out the cliché "life is too short" speech, I wanted to just throw out a little reminder to avoid letting life get in the way of living.

There are those moments when the reminders are stark and all too real.

I had finally convinced my best friend, hunting buddy, and co-worker to join me on my next African hunt. After a couple of years of "I don't know", "That would be fun but..", and "There are other places I should spend the money", he was getting pretty pumped up about a sable and roan hunt. A little over a week ago on Friday afternoon we decided I would contact the famous (or maybe infamous ;)) @spike.t and get moving on setting it all up. That very night he went to sleep and never woke up. We buried him a couple of days ago. He was 55 yrs old. :(

I'm not telling you this for the pity party and such, it's not about me. I'm just saying that if it's something you want to do, and can, then go get it because, cliché or not, you just never know.

R.I.P. Bill, you will sorely missed.

Best to you all,
Randy

Very sorry about your friend but at the same time I’m glad you have a hunt booked. Go hunting while you can is absolutely right. I’m only 34, but was in an extremely bad car wreck last year. Hit at a red light at 60 mph. I walked away but could have ended right there easily. You never know.

I've buried a lot of people who were going to "really start living/traveling/etc" JUST AS SOON AS THEY RETIRED. Often, bad health or death prevented it. Start taking those vacations and dream hunts while you are able. Even a modest series of hunts is better than "bar no expense" hunt that never happens.

Very sorry about your friend but at the same time I’m glad you have a hunt booked. Go hunting while you can is absolutely right. I’m only 34, but was in an extremely bad car wreck last year. Hit at a red light at 60 mph. I walked away but could have ended right there easily. You never know.
Thanks. Not booked yet as he had just decided to "pull the trigger", but it has now expedited my solo plans.

Randy, I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Thanks for sharing it as an object lesson. The word “tomorrow“ is the most optimistic in the English language. We always assume it’ll be there. Occasionally we get reminded that there’s no guarantee.

Waiting till I retire is a all too common theme. The fellow I went to Africa with my first time has been so tied up with work and socking money away in the bank that he never went back. He had a back surgery Dec 28. Still in lots of pain and has to go back Mon for another back surgery to try and get him where he can function....... He has a New Zealand hunt booked that probably won't happen in May. Do it while you can.
Bruce

Sorry for your loss Randy, but having shared this with us it just shows that the lesson is vivid for you. So for sure book a hunt and go.
We have our little Carruthers club, there are eight of us at this stage, some will always not be able to make a particular hunt, but there will always be three or four who can. Maybe invite someone else, or join another group?

My condolences for your loss. Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.

Sorry for your loss Randy, but you are so right, if you can do it, do not hesitate, who knows what tomorrow will bring !

Same for me, head on, I didn't walk away, I now have more metal in me than a '57 Buick!
8 months later, I went fishing in southern Mexico, 4 months after that, bear hunting in Ontario.
The bear hunting is now an annual "by myself" trip!
Enjoy what you have while you have it...

Sorry for your loss, this should be a wake up call for all of us to cherish every breath and our loved ones! RIP

My condolences on the loss of your friend Randy. That was exactly this kick in the pants that got me going on my first African hunt. A friend/co-worker and I would always talk about it and promise that if one of us won the lottery we'd both be going. In 2013 he drowned while on vacation in Cuba. In April 2014 I was boots on the ground in Namibia. Taped a picture of him to my rifle so that he could be there with me!

On November 17, 2005, I badly injured by back due to my own stupidity while attempting to hook up a trailer whose jack was frozen and whose base was also frozen to the ground. It took me 30 minutes to drag myself up to a standing posture and go inside. I was unable to stand fully upright until the following May.

While crawling around on all fours after God's wake up call I swore if I could, I would start doing the hunts that I had always thought that there would be a better time for. I now consider that injury to be one of the best things that every happened to me. I thank God for showing me that time waits for no man.

My condolences on the loss of your friend Randy, so young and taken too soon. That is a serious wake up call.

My condolences.

People ask me about my retirement. I'm beginning to learn (and act like) Travis McGee had a point...

Sorry for your loss.

I'm 57

I had a high-school classmate (in seemingly very good health) who died of a heart attack last year. One of my best friends had a severe stroke just a few weeks ago.

I had a good friend of the family tell me a few year's ago that "retirement is just a young man's dream".

He owned and operated his own business until he was nearly 80.

As soon as he retired, both he and his wife started having health problems. She had a stroke 5 years ago and eventually passed away. He died last year.

My advice -

Don't be reckless with your time and money, but live life to the fullest (within your means) while you are healthy.

I'd rather be telling stories of past grand adventures to my grandchildren and greatgrandchildren when I'm too old to do much besides talk and rock in my rocking chair, than give my life to a career.

I'll give my kids the memories of a life well-lived.

Trust Fund - not so much.....

Last edited:
Hello AH friends,

At the risk of grinding out the cliché "life is too short" speech, I wanted to just throw out a little reminder to avoid letting life get in the way of living.

There are those moments when the reminders are stark and all too real.

I had finally convinced my best friend, hunting buddy, and co-worker to join me on my next African hunt. After a couple of years of "I don't know", "That would be fun but..", and "There are other places I should spend the money", he was getting pretty pumped up about a sable and roan hunt. A little over a week ago on Friday afternoon we decided I would contact the famous (or maybe infamous ;)) @spike.t and get moving on setting it all up. That very night he went to sleep and never woke up. We buried him a couple of days ago. He was 55 yrs old. :(

I'm not telling you this for the pity party and such, it's not about me. I'm just saying that if it's something you want to do, and can, then go get it because, cliché or not, you just never know.

R.I.P. Bill, you will sorely missed.

Best to you all,
Randy
So very sorry for your loss! This story is exactly why I have a balanced approach to my life…retirement planning AND living life to its fullest which includes Africa. Many people would say put more into retirement but having lost a wife of 30 years married I have learned to strongly disagree. No one is guaranteed a tomorrow yet prudence must also be present in retirement planning. I had to raise 2 children putting both through college first before Africa but now my life is all about the balance

Sorry for your loss Randy. Health and death are unknowns, and not just yours, God forbid someone in your family. I’m glad you’re going to Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois