Gloves

Interesting, looking like I need some liner gloves , maybe driving or pilot gloves.
Thin leather driving gloves bought many years ago from Harrods, great for chilly mornings in Africa, which is 10 degrees!
Harrods , Harrods of London? I’m happy I made it to South Africa.
I asked the wife if she had any other destination in mind. She is keen on New Zealand, Mmm, maybe I can line up a hunt there,,,,
Certainly worth investigating.

I use a set of elk skin leather for moderate temps. down to 25 F, then break out fleece, then onto thinsulate skiing type gloves when it get below -5F, when colder than that I break out the old army cold weather mittens.

In addition to the recommendation to keep the core warm make sure you have on a warm hat as so much of the body heat is lost through the head.

Go out and enjoy the day

I am a huge fan of mittens with fingers / flap and always have at least 2-3 pair in various condition

When the fingers start to stretch out or they just get too thin for warmth, I'll cut the flap off and use them for upland game. If it's too cold for bare fingers, I'll put a thin pair of gloves on underneath.

Geier makes gloves out of Kangaroo hide. You can feel the trigger as if you are not wearing any gloves. For cold mornings, a silk liner glove works great.

It's all relative, but where I hunt 0 deg. is quite warm. For that sort of temperature I prefer merino wool gloves with leather palms. If you hunt where thorns and brush are too hard on exposed wool, use plain merino wool liners inside thin leather gloves. Deerskin and even sheepskin leather is good, you do not need the toughness of a work glove so most cowhide is not ideal, you need to preserve grip and feel. You will need to try on the combination in the store, but generally wear one size larger glove as the outer covering.

I agree, cross-country skiing and nomex flight gloves. I've used my dads flight gloves from Gibson & Barnes for target shooting down to freezing point, and they're great (you can get them touch-screen compatible, too). Below that I usually use lined cowhide. Personally looking at getting a pair from Hestra in Sweden, my Dakota's don't stay very warm unless I'm constantly moving my hands.

Yep 0 degrees Celsius, that’s cold to me. I’m looking for some gloves. There was Ice on steel gates etc, the fog hung till 1030,

Cold for this area but I want to get out while I can and I’m not a fan of the cold
CBH
Chris both my son and I use thinsulate gloves. Work well down to minus 2 Celsius and you can get them at Kmart. Get a beanie in blaze orange in the same material while you are at it..
Bob

Bob, I’ve been using Thinsulate Beanies for a while. I will look into the gloves. I don’t have an Orange Beanie but will look into it, I haven’t done any Public Land hunting.
What I am hoping for in gloves are something thin enough that I can operate the rifle and shoot with while being warm.
Getting a shot at a pig might just be seeing one cross a clearing without time to remove layers etc.
I might only have success 1/10 hunts, short walks on the same creek in a neighbours place. Shooting is incentive to exercise, cold weather is a deterrent.

Vicuña wool gloves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you