Gloves

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
i got out at 7am this morning and it was cold and foggy. I measured the temp at 0 degrees at 8:30am on return.

I did take a set of Mechanics gloves with me. Thin leather palm and like a neoprene top. These allow some dexterity. I still got cold hands,

What do others wear for cold weather hunting that work?

I’m not looking to hunt in the extremes but take advantage of my current location and get out where I can for quick walks with a rifle.

I can't think of the manufacturer of them, but I have a couple of pair of the wool mittens that the finger section flips over. Not saying the fingers don't get cold from time to time, but that section that flips over is a great spot for hot hands. I've used a bunch of different types and these work best for me. I'll look when I get home.

i got out at 7am this morning and it was cold and foggy. I measured the temp at 0 degrees at 8:30am on return.

I did take a set of Mechanics gloves with me. Thin leather palm and like a neoprene top. These allow some dexterity. I still got cold hands,

What do others wear for cold weather hunting that work?

I’m not looking to hunt in the extremes but take advantage of my current location and get out where I can for quick walks with a rifle.

0C cold?, It is all relative.

Make sure your gloves fit well. Any constriction and your hands will get cold.

Winter Golf Gloves,
https://www.hombregolfclub.com/best-winter-golf-gloves-reviewed/

These work well for me, until it gets really cold.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5037-635/Ragg-Wool-Fingerless-Gloves

Light Neoprene works in some weather.
https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-892/H2O-2mm-Neoprene-Gloves

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.26 PM.png
    546 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.28 PM.png
    504 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.33 PM.png
    825.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.43 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.45 PM.png
    610.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.57 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.55.59 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:
Yep 0 degrees Celsius, that’s cold to me. I’m looking for some gloves. There was Ice on steel gates etc, the fog hung till 1030,

Cold for this area but I want to get out while I can and I’m not a fan of the cold

My first advice is wear a vest (and maybe a silk scarf). Sounds silly, but when your core stays warm, your body won’t move blood from the extremities to your core, this keeping your hands warmer.

I like leather gloves down to about O, then some combo of A glove with a leather palm and thinsulate. If the wrist area is open to the air, your hands get colder, so leather roping gloves aren’t as good. A thin wool glove with a Larger leather glove over it is really nice for both work and hunting.

check out cross country skiing gloves, they tend to have a thinner palm material for gripping ski poles, which happens to work well with rifles.

in Africa leather gloves for riding..
They are thin, comfortable and warm
For the trackers who often sit on the hood of the car and clear away bushes, I always bring workgloves from the construction market for them.
The guys have nothing and the bosses don't care much about them.

light gloves with leather on palm/fingers and synthetic on back/sides of gloves are pretty nice for early winter and chilly weather. an example is nomex pilot gloves that you can buy at a military surplus store.

they have enough dexterity to shoot, manage cartridges and load rifles and are warm enough if they are kept dry. i like em because they protect your hands from spikey brush like raspberries, devils club, etc. i just keep em in my left cargo pocket until i need em, they don't weigh much or take much room.

i live in alaska so good gloves are a must.

I wear thin leather shooting gloves when using a shotgun even on cold blowing snow days in Montana.
But for rifle hunting in Africa (and here) I have been using Magpul tactical gloves. They have worked well for my purposes.

Depends on how cold. If really cold then the best is insulated mittens. Just have to figure out a de-mittening routine when ready to shoot :) I guess there are mitts with a slot cut in the bottom to allow use f fingers for shooting but have never tried them. For less than extreme cold, some form of fabric glove with non-slip leather finger and palm seems to work. I've found for most, including Africa, Nomex/leather flight gloves, cheap from surplus, work best for me.
flight gloves.JPG

Last edited:
The thinnest glove possible. I have black fabric ones that allow you to use a touchscreen with them on. I also use grouse hunters leather gloves (driving gloves). They provide minimum insulation, decent wind protection, and minimum loss of dexterity. I’d rather be cold than immobilized!

I pressed a set of leather motorcycle gloves I have into service for hunting.
They worked very well down to 30F, even in the bakkie going 30mph.
Aerostich Elkskin Competition Ropers, and have a cinch on the back of the hand.
I'm currently breaking in a second pair as a backup.

Depends on how cold. If really cold then the best is insulated mittens. Just have to figure out a de-mittening routine when ready to shoot :) I guess there are mitts with a slot cut in the bottom to allow use f fingers for shooting but have never tried them. For less than extreme cold, some form of fabric glove with non-slip leather finger and palm seems to work. I've found for most, including Africa, Nomex/leather flight gloves, cheap from surplus, work best for me.
View attachment 358195
Bingo ! My vote goes for these gloves also. I also wear a merino base layer than has opes for my thumbs so it comes down over my wrists. Top off with a thin pair of silk or merino liner gloves.

Depending on how cold it gets:

Moderately chilly/cold, I go with a pair of driving gloves that allows for flexibility, provides moderate warmth and wind protection.

As it gets frosty out, I go with a pair of fingerless gloves with a flip over mitten cover, as was mentioned by 35bore, good for inserting chemical hand warmers.

Now for the really cold weather for us here in the southeast US, 20-30°F, then I opt for a combination: base is thin driving glove with the fingerless mitten cover over the fingers and chemical hand warmers.

In the military what was really nice was the wool mitten liner and leather palm canvas shell. These mittens allowed for the use of the trigger finger and thumb of each hand and they have a rain resistant gauntlet that pulles over the coat sleeve, half way up the forearm.

IMO&E never use latex gloves as these type gloves will increase the chances of causing frost bite.

I wear out about 6-8 pairs of leather gloves a year. For light work I prefer goatskin drivers. For heavy work buffalo or cowhide drivers. When it’s below 20F I wear white knitted cotton gloves under a larger pair of buffalo drivers.
Now for hunting. If I’m in a tree stand I wear insulated mittens with white knitted cotton gloves inside. For all other hunting I wear one of my pairs of work gloves.

I generally wear nomex flight gloves and a Muff around my waist put put my hands in when static

I wear finger less fleece mittens,at times the finger tips get cold but I have found they are better for me than full gloves.
They dont stop the Kiwi sand flies though ha ha.

View attachment 358257
Where was your finger to attract so many flies...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg